When does an enquiry start?
Following the completion of a client's 2010 Tax Return information came to light which suggested that income had been omitted from the 2009 Tax Return. We submitted an amended 2009 Tax Return electronically and received the electronic acknowledgement of receipt from both my software (IRIS) and HMRC.
Two days later we received a S9A notice. The date on the notice was five days earlier i.e. three days before we submitted the amended Return.
HMRC state that the enquiry stands because it was opened prior to the filing of the amended Return and they also state that the Return was not accepted because the file had been marked as being under enquiry - they told me that I should have received a rejection notice.
Incidentally they raised their enquiry on the very issue that we amended the Return for but where do we stand with potential penalties etc?
- Comments on this scenario 119 3
- PPR election - what do you think? 223 7
- Starting an accountancy practice for bachelors? 117 3
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,640 67
- Penalties 112 1
- SAGE con 223 4
- rates of pay query 220 3
- Dormant company owns shares in another company 89 2
- Recommendation for a good website on exchange rate forecast 141 10
- Pension contributions higher rate extension? 199 1
- Trading Structure / Illegal Trading 108 1
- Overpayment relief claim 157 5
- Charity reserves 131 3
- Have i messed up? 672 10
- Year end 364 4
- Test purchases in VAT enquiries 229 3
- Related Parties Note 420 9
- Annual Investment Allowance (AIA) 109 1
- Where can I get Quickbooks help 132 4
- loss on carbon credits 113 2
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,018
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 555
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 363
- Tax efficient holding company structure 290
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 277
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 215
- Charge out rates in London? 211
- Personal consumption by landlord 183
- Interest on Loan to a Company 174
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 151