When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 554 16
- RTI submission different to HMRC 1,600 28
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 398 8
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,355 15
- Surprise visit from HMRC! 2,623 19
- "Audit Report" 186 3
- Free invoicing software 240 3
- When are ltd companies "associated" for Vat and tax purposes? 136 2
- IR35 deemed payment and dividends - practical considerations 216 4
- IR35 Low, medium or high risk 114 1
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 766 19
- Terminal Losses - Online filing 214 4
- VAT on Hire Purchase 239 2
- Coding Notice 262 6
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 280 6
- New business - journal entries 438 22
- Is CGT roll over relief available for let property 247 3
- Payroll software 673 16
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 305 5
- Are there Special Rules for Agencies? 416 10
- Auto enrolment excuses 913
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 729
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 418
- Social investment tax relief 225
- Digita Hosted Software 224
- accounting for this transaction 215
- Call Centre Data Costs 209
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) 191
- Incorporating Sole Trade and bringing in spouse 184
- Travel costs and contractors 179