When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- Spousal transfer and PPR 667 29
- unmarried couple, two houses, one rental - CGT? 223 8
- recompense capital input 162 11
- Exports/Dispatches - non VAT registered 99 2
- Capital allowances on taxis 213 2
- CT losses carry back 70 1
- Thoughts on revenue recognition 542 17
- help guys! self employed or still company income? 117 2
- Do I have grounds to dispute our accountant’s fees? 743 19
- Deferred Tax Asset & Liability 413 12
- Where has Portia gone? 2,237 68
- Financial Advisor / Mortgage brokering 120 1
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 182 3
- Are Sales to Germany considered VAT Taxable turnover for HMRC? 219 5
- New Client wants an Income Certificate for a Mortgage 985 22
- What shall I reduce payments on account to? 195 3
- transferring from franchisee to ltd comapny 248 5
- Merging my businesses 224 3
- Is it worth being a limited company if already a higher rate taxpayer? 487 8
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 380 9
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 797
- RTI - duplicate employee record 561
- Pensions Regulator 451
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 413
- Portia ... Where art thou 327
- Sanzar 315
- How do you do it 300
- Digital marketing focus group 298
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 273
- new investor structure 183