When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 193 4
- VAT Bad Debt Relief 265 13
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 121 2
- Prefer to start accepting Online Card Payments 105 1
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 889 25
- How long are you on hold- IRIS Payroll 220 7
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 124 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 253 7
- New Email Extensions 138 1
- SA302 201 3
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,092 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 274 2
- Dental practice incorpration 126 1
- Audit rules 163 4
- Go Cardless 283 8
- business entertaining deductibility 146 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 176 2
- R & D 110 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 91 1
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 167 1
- Xtuple 502
- Qtac payroll for bureau 336
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 284
- Industrial & Provident Societies 277
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 221
- Mehjoo 221
- New strategic report 173
- Domain name sale and limited company 160
- South African Government Pension 156
- CIS schemes 154