When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- signature required 444 21
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 489 9
- How do I undo the work of a Macro in Excel 158 5
- Settlement discount 52 3
- Director appointment not valid - any observations? 88 5
- CT600 41 1
- A number of Clearbooks VAT return issues! 151 2
- VAT on hotel payments received in advance 92 2
- Pratice Management Software 46 1
- Norwegian p45, which UK Tax return does it go into 190 10
- Left UK in 2006 but did not declare rental income since 2009 109 1
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 178 2
- Homing sandwiches 371 9
- Related Party Transactions 104 2
- UK resident receiving USA pension 87 1
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 461 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 754 13
- More AE! 758 17
- Web sites 242 3
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 606 13
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,232
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 810
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 511
- Digita Hosted Software 334
- Credit where credit's due....... 307
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 234
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 187
- TheTax Donut 174
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 156
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 156