When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 69 2
- Letter from HMRC telling me client passed away 2,010 28
- VAT on cashback card handling fee 148 2
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 287 11
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 656 21
- What is the reasoning behind HMRC letter re high income child benefit charge? 568 10
- We accountants are not the only ones!! 659 4
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,256 45
- practice planning 195 3
- Accounts Software 739 19
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 505 14
- Dividend Vouchers 392 5
- Gift to employee 425 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 181 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 183 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,134 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 198 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 169 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,686 10
- Which address 1,096 12
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 494
- CTA study material 470
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 344
- Pre incorp expenses 329
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 279
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 269
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 217
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 173
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 146
- Employment related securities question 131