When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 438 9
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,975 39
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,320 17
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,589 23
- VAT & capitalising 117 3
- Final year's accounts 144 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 259 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 290 5
- Errors in prior year accounts 824 21
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 308 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 235 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 135 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,972 36
- Invoice Help 246 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 178 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 249 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 236 3
- Sorry ignore me 907 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 588 5
- Free Shares ? 251 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 532
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 294
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 193
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 191
- Probiz 178
- Married woman dies owning marital home 168
- What's the market like for temps? 166