When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- Closing a limited company 69 4
- Obtaining old payslips & correcting historic tax overpayment 78 3
- Software 248 6
- Window Comb Binder Cover 345 6
- Capital Gains on Residential Property 402 23
- Broadband costs 185 2
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 401 14
- Rental Income for Child Benefit Charge 66 1
- Allocation of internal division of work - manger level 285 11
- Use of home deduction 435 14
- Non resident income. 207 11
- Help needed- Unable to fill CT600 form using HMRC software- service issue 310 5
- Director payroll - prorated NI? 188 5
- SA800 Returns 220 4
- state pension statement 733 9
- VAT on EU supplies 62 1
- VAT on purchse from EU supplier but goods were sent outside of EU from supplier 97 1
- Terminal Trade Loss Relief 154 4
- VAT on Vocational Training Courses supplied to a Charity Org? 92 1
- Goodwill adjustment 187 5
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 847
- Copy Wanted 588
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 529
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 505
- Latest phishing scam 388
- Entrepreneurs' relief 365
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 319
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 306
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 295
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 205