When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- Latest repayment email =interesting paragraph 325 1
- Entertaining - am I missing something or is my client taking the mickey 102 2
- Cloud backups – know what you are getting … 336 5
- SA1 forms 283 11
- Stand alone practice management software 1,172 19
- Are accountants facing a doomsday scenario? 991 25
- ACCOUNTING FOR VAT ON EU DISPATCHES AND EXPORTS 127 2
- Loan to employee's company 103 1
- Can you divide and conquer? 254 2
- Recommendation for consolidation software? 505 9
- CG on Spanish property disposal 184 6
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 704 17
- Do I need to see receipts ? 513 7
- VAT charged on non-VAT Invoice 205 4
- Cost of demolition of a shed - revenue or capital? 424 10
- Redundancy Pay 218 3
- Submit P11D for 2014 2015 with no Paye Scheme in place 134 1
- BTC v TaxCalc 366 9
- Contribution to use of home 121 1
- VAT on services to EC customer 112 1
- Sainsbury's mangement 803
- Avanti Accounts 669
- Have I done the right thing? 625
- Continuity Agreement 622
- Calling franchise accountants 622
- Consolidated accounting software (or cloud based) 480
- Sage One Reports - do they add up? 353
- Scammers 306
- Advice please! 219
- Becoming a subcontractor to Accountancy Practices 197