When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- More HMRC on gov.uk 293 6
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 463 10
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 702 24
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 44 1
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 316 4
- Expense receipt from previous quarter not included in VAT return 254 4
- Know it alls (who don't) 1,283 23
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 559 1
- Capital allowances anti-avoidance 331 10
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 205 2
- Transition to FRS102 - goodwill 516 14
- Employed clients and expenses 845 16
- Goods Purchased for Rental 624 31
- UK Tax Treatment of Finance Lease Payments 149 3
- Auto Enrolment set up 392 3
- Loan to Partnership is s455 tax relevant? 537 18
- Interflora florist 127 1
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 312 6
- Directors loan accounts 441 10
- Income Self employed 562 8
- NOVA 492
- Bonus Bonds 376
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 359
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 276
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 241
- Friendly Pensions 178
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 161
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 149
- Finance Lease 141
- Company Car Lease 140