When is a Group not a Group for accounting purposes?
XYZ Holdings Plc, an unquoted UK registered company. The company has over 200 "B" shareholders with no voting rights, who have subscribed around £4.7 million. The "A" shares, which carry voting rights, are owned by the founders who put in just £200.
The capital put into XYZ Holdings Plc is actually spent by a company called XYZ Ltd. Both companies share the same offices and the same directors. XYZ Holdings Plc owns 99.999% of XYZ Ltd in the form of "B" shares; the remaining 0.001% (just two "A" shares) are held by founders.
The Prospctus for XYZ Holdings Plc stated that the two companies would together form the "XYZ Group". However they file individual accounts, each with a different year-end date and have never submitted Group Accounts to Companies House. Having different year-end dates obviously makes the accounts less than transparent, added to which several years of accounts for both companies have never been submitted to Companies House and never shown to the shareholders. My understanding is that under the Companies Act a group of companies is required to file Group Accounts.
Their auditors tell me that the companies are "not a Group for accounting purposes". I would like to know whether a Group of companies like this can elect not to produce Group Accounts just because it suits them and which law allows them to do so.
- Auto-enrolment staging dates, letters etc 98 4
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 77 2
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 914 21
- Can you have two types of sales? Sales with VAT and Sale without VAT? 331 9
- Company Structure 259 2
- The importance of Grammar 2,029 58
- Who is responsible for goods values for customs clearance? 28 1
- Accountant Specialization. 66 1
- Student Loan Box in Year Repaid 195 3
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 242 1
- Director Liability 222 4
- Finding mobile numbers for clients we have lost contact with 381 5
- Travel and Subsistence Expenses 227 2
- Freelance/Employee 486 13
- Salary Sacrifice andy subsistence payments 246 6
- 2 companies, one payroll 289 9
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 344 1
- Complicated situation with very old balances from previous accountant 670 14
- Freehold management company 168 3
- Volontaire International en Entreprise (VIE) 238 6
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 399
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 361
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 341
- Electric Car 274
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 175
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 167
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 158
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 156
- AIA 153