When not to do tax credits
Having been seduced by various tax seminars,finally, following a presentation by the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group of the CIOT, which pricked my conscience, and made me think about my duty to society, I did a rough back of the proverbial envelope calculation for an employee of the next client that I visited, and concluded that he and his wife would get about £370.51 p.a.WT credits. So, I completed a TC app and submitted it to the appropriate HMRC address. I fully realised of course that thereafter I had no control over matters pertaining thereto. The result is that my client has received, after some weeks, all sorts of appointment letters to attend a local office of some organisation called 'Jobcentre Plus' whatever that may be.
I have prostrated myself before my client and in this case am confident of recovering the goodwill that has taken me years of meticulous attention to detail to build up, and told his employee to forget it. It never happened. The lesson I have learned is that society doesn't need my advice and I shall have to find some other way to repay my debt to it.
But am stll left smarting, wondering what the Data Protection Act is for, and who else HMRC has given my client's information to. The local council, the gas board, have they posted it on Facebook? I cower in trepidation.
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 1,950 9
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 112 3
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 468 5
- flat rate scheme 140 3
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 162 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 78 1
- VAT refund 312 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,283 37
- Turnover on a tax return 547 12
- incorrect old p60 563 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 119 4
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 182 1
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 151 1
- Special dividends & CGT 203 1
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 194 1
- Networking 366 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 279 2
- US company hiring UK citizens in UK 305 4
- What VAT to reclaim on van purchased on HP? 339 5
- Professional coaching claimable? 297 2