When not to do tax credits
Having been seduced by various tax seminars,finally, following a presentation by the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group of the CIOT, which pricked my conscience, and made me think about my duty to society, I did a rough back of the proverbial envelope calculation for an employee of the next client that I visited, and concluded that he and his wife would get about £370.51 p.a.WT credits. So, I completed a TC app and submitted it to the appropriate HMRC address. I fully realised of course that thereafter I had no control over matters pertaining thereto. The result is that my client has received, after some weeks, all sorts of appointment letters to attend a local office of some organisation called 'Jobcentre Plus' whatever that may be.
I have prostrated myself before my client and in this case am confident of recovering the goodwill that has taken me years of meticulous attention to detail to build up, and told his employee to forget it. It never happened. The lesson I have learned is that society doesn't need my advice and I shall have to find some other way to repay my debt to it.
But am stll left smarting, wondering what the Data Protection Act is for, and who else HMRC has given my client's information to. The local council, the gas board, have they posted it on Facebook? I cower in trepidation.
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 657 14
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 372 5
- last minute request 564 6
- Xerocon 2016 1,071 27
- Entrepreneurs' Relief upon sale of a cash rich company 2,209 41
- buying asset and settling vendor's debt 288 6
- Posting invoices with balance brought forward 316 7
- Personal Tax 551 11
- USA Tax Query 222 1
- Disengagement Help! 1,693 25
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 962 6
- Expenses paid by director (the comapny owner) 352 2
- Write an article on latest tax changes for landlords. 614 18
- Corrupt Excel File 683 10
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,993 43
- Locked Out of HMRC Online Account - HMRC Not Responding 295 2
- Re-Training costs - tax reief 440 7
- Capital Gain on Share Disposal with Held Over Gains 205 1
- 64-8's amazingly quick 397 4
- VAT - Check on clients business 1,263 46