Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- Company pays me the mileage rate of a company vehicle 113 2
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 404 4
- Employment support allowance and self employed 135 3
- Registered Office 159 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,488 23
- recovery of S455 on informal winding 316 5
- Partnership Registration 117 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 914 36
- Owners loan to business - is interest taxable 120 2
- Would this save hours of your time? 693 12
- Audit Required 1,189 22
- HMRC to sell our tax data to private companies 315 9
- Residential Management Companies 99 2
- Value pricing 2,862 37
- Problems with CT600 filing 403 5
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 400 11
- Payroll software for Mac 127 1
- Online / Cloud Data Back Up 127 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 219 5
- CIS and Close Company 210 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 948
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 662
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 408
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 335
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 264
- Paye procedures for CVA 253
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 251
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 202
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 194
- Pension Fixed Protection 190