Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 295 9
- Practice management 160 2
- Flat Conversion Allowance 67 1
- Watch out self-assessment scam e-mail 220 4
- Conversion from UK GAAP to IFRS 90 1
- IHT and cash gifts 86 1
- Childcare voucher schemes 143 7
- Clothing 188 4
- VAT registration transfer 160 3
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 593 30
- Sponsorship & VAT 91 1
- CT/CO'S HOUSE DATES ALLIGNMENT 125 2
- Director drawings 408 31
- IRIS opentax login problems?! 325 3
- Online Payroll with Auto Enrolment 104 1
- HMRC SA302s 213 3
- What does the "K" signify 440 7
- Director or self-employed 163 1
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 135 3
- Reporting foreign income in Self-Assessment Tax Return 144 3
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 909
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 615
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 581
- Latest phishing scam 536
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 380
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 349
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 283
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 203
- Capital allowances in first basis period 192
- Sabbatical payments 179