Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 296 3
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 91 4
- Share swap 241 6
- Auto enrolment 341 5
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 242 3
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 86 1
- Threshold for RTI submission 36 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 154 2
- Was I rude 536 16
- Top slicing relief question no 2 128 3
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 80 3
- Maternity Pay 123 2
- Career slump - advice and/or sympathy much appreciated 566 14
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 621 10
- Recording VAT refund and payment on Sage 50 49 1
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,719 27
- Director's minimum wage? 226 4
- Advertising services? 304 1
- Practical Query: Entrepreneurs and PPR Reliefs 312 4
- Invoice factoring 253 8
- Skandia using wrong address 1,471
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 801
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 436
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 409
- Sale of business 376
- NOVA 276
- IRIS Open Books problem 272
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 187
- Expenses claim for non employee 177