Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 1,059 8
- Virtually Impossible 143 2
- Are these allowable capital expenditures for a jewellery retail shop? 248 4
- Newly Started Practice 531 12
- SSP days and Holidays 106 2
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 484 6
- Is a property owner charging a peppercorn rent to a limited company acceptable 324 7
- error on companies house accounts 494 14
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 3,502 113
- Is there a reporting requirement? 127 1
- Clients 372 6
- Home to Office 243 5
- Investment property? 172 3
- Property income 144 2
- VAT rules on Compensation invoice to EU company 98 3
- problems getting through to the ACCA technical helpline 230 5
- Commission on holiday accrual 166 2
- Benefit in kind calc, s.106 ITEPA 212 4
- VAT reclaim on costs incurred for VAT exempt services 125 1
- IR35 calc - which months' E'ees NICs and PAYE to include? 152 3
- QROP pension input amounts 485
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 457
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 427
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 274
- EPS and CIS deductions 273
- Construction CIS LLP Company 256
- Stamp duty on house transfer between spouses 222
- SAGE winforecast 189
- Managing deliberate defaulters hmrc 182
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 174