Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- Has HMRC got powers to do this? 48 1
- New Client in dispute with old accountant 476 10
- Declined for business bank account 260 6
- Any Scottish members out there? 7,636 284
- Help with Mortgage Application? 488 7
- planning to be self employed bookkeeper what do i need to do before i start? 195 3
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 214 10
- Standard 'email' template system 883 14
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,031 14
- How to complete annual VAT return online? 222 4
- Irish VAT Deferred payment 97 1
- Circular shareholding 241 6
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 197 6
- business card address 317 8
- VAT relief eligibilty for charity buying minibus 214 2
- Loan to a related company 117 1
- Artificially reducing profits by bonus accrual 670 26
- Repairs after a rental business ends 340 10
- Can anyone recommend a good document scanner? 281 8
- property rental income split 143 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,116
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 368
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 300
- National Insurance 269
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 240
- Payments on account coded out?? 230
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 224
- Non Resident 189
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 185
- Franchise income and costs 180