Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- do i have to register new ltd practice as tax agent? 31 1
- international employer please help!! 37 1
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 430 9
- Sage payroll alternatives 364 4
- When to include value of import in Box 7 72 1
- employer pension contributions - OMB company 168 2
- Accounts production software license expiry & possible alternatives 313 7
- Capital gain? 96 3
- Are clients getting more stupid? 1,260 21
- Construction Industry Allowable expenses 276 8
- Recharge for private use of a company car 354 8
- vat help for catering concession 281 10
- IHT dilemma 1,159 17
- Tax return software for remote working 236 3
- CGT 339 14
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 324 1
- Interest paid to non-UK company - Deduction 113 2
- Compliance check 519 13
- sole trader accountant 801 14
- Entrepreneurs Relief 406 15
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,087
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 781
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 467
- Digita Hosted Software 282
- Call Centre Data Costs 253
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 229
- Credit where credit's due....... 226
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 209
- Married Couples Allowance wasted? 190
- Director phone costs 155