Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 494 14
- Dividend Vouchers 359 5
- Gift to employee 402 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 156 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 129 2
- practice planning 75 1
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,107 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 176 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 153 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,653 10
- Which address 1,071 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 602 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,510 17
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,219 44
- R&D tax claim 259 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 547 9
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 210 7
- Tax Allowance on University Course 197 1
- Transfer of a business 131 1
- I hate HMRC's voice recognition system - The Inept Interrogator 1,172 22
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 488
- CTA study material 459
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 338
- Pre incorp expenses 322
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 271
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 262
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 213
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 167
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 140
- Employment related securities question 128