Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- Limited company built a property and the client has made this messy 226 7
- 2012 13 HMRC QUERY 526 9
- Transferring rental property to limited company 448 14
- Are there Sage Instant Accounts Plus report which give breakdowns of the debtors and creditors control account balances by invoice for each currency? 68 3
- Time recording 100 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 252 4
- Paying dividends to Ordinary shares with different nominal values 111 2
- Land Registry 267 3
- How did you recalculate your payroll fees 959 13
- Auto Enrolment 666 4
- Separate companies same Director buy from each other 800 19
- Company Number 10000000 369 4
- Advertising Tips? 306 7
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,515 29
- IR35 362 5
- Exclusion of single director companies from the Employment Allowance in 2016/17 419 12
- Revenue phishing examples 238 1
- iris update 11.9.2 208 2
- VAT Box 7 and supplies from unregistered traders 452 13
- 2015 tax year end 543 1
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 733
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 432
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 374
- Costly Accounting Software contract 366
- Directors' advances and credits 283
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 260
- DTA tie-breaker issue 251
- Tax on internet ad sharing income 233
- Credit against UK NI for NI paid to EEC Countries 210
- CGT for NOn UK residents 195