Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 997 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 231 2
- Dental practice incorpration 102 1
- Audit rules 147 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 219 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 802 20
- Go Cardless 255 8
- business entertaining deductibility 117 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 115 2
- R & D 100 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 69 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 106 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 148 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 140 1
- New Business Registration 209 5
- Hosted email exchange 128 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 145 1
- G P life time allowance 113 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 370 11
- Bringing money to Uk 214 3
- Xtuple 500
- Qtac payroll for bureau 333
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 278
- Industrial & Provident Societies 275
- Mehjoo 219
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 216
- New strategic report 169
- Domain name sale and limited company 156
- South African Government Pension 153
- CIS schemes 147