Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- Agent Authorisation Issue 110 1
- CWF1 - is it still required?? 264 6
- Is it just me ... 128 5
- CT600 - Credit balance in expenses? 98 5
- Claiming VAT on car lease 280 20
- Duplicating Sales and COS but does not impacting bottom line? Legal? 244 4
- CIS registration when already registered for PAYE 70 4
- HMRC Agent Accounts - PAYE 307 10
- Rectify overpaid childcare vouchers, how? 103 1
- Taxable Benefit for Director? 205 1
- Directors exempt from AE? 1,423 18
- R&D - HMRC Manual 90 2
- Impairment in value of subsidiary - allowable? 347 14
- Client in dispute with Customer over cancellation charge 1,142 27
- How to network with other Accountants? 590 3
- Any reasons for a dissolved company to comply with HMRC requesting Corporation Tax and Tax Returns 546 21
- Advice for new build property 131 3
- Should training costs being reclaimed be deducted from gross or net salary 294 5
- VAT FRS for a Formula 2 Racing Driver 293 8
- Claiming accommodation as employment expense? 167 1
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 738
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 402
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 349
- Electric Car 286
- S222 Charge 233
- IP trans to holding company 181
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 175
- Software to Deal with Amazon and Ebay Sales 165
- AIA 161
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 153