Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- CONVERSAION OF DIRECTOR LOAN INTO EQUITY 215 6
- Second Incomes Campaign 169 3
- VAT on finance leases 115 2
- Problem ex client...again.. 1,808 16
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 47 1
- Goods Purchased for Rental 670 34
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,044 31
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 252 8
- Professional Clearance 1,563 24
- Audit procedures on a dormant company 273 4
- Cash withdrawn and not accounted for 415 6
- Accounting for VAT not yet paid in year end 404 11
- Interflora florist 220 3
- Sole trader hid directorships. 103 1
- More HMRC on gov.uk 480 9
- Friendly Pensions 238 1
- Online Timesheet Facility 99 1
- Company Reorganisation 312 4
- CGT on second home? 263 4
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 224 8
- NOVA 495
- Bonus Bonds 384
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 365
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 280
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 246
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 169
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 156
- Finance Lease 150
- Company Car Lease 146
- Form 42 137