Whose responsibility to provide CIS certificate of tax deducted under old rules
We have a client under enquiry for 2006/07. Our client is a builder working almost exclusively as a subcontractor under the then CIS scheme.
HMRC are contesting some bankings on his bank account which relate (according to our client) to income earned from a main contractor. Contractor did not provide CIS certificate or other evidence of tax paid.
HMRC are refusing to give credit for the tax credit claimed under CIS, thereby leaving our client with a tax liability. They are also seeking to charge a penalty.
We have evidence that our client has made every effort to obtain a CIS certificate/proof of deduction. He does have remittance advices from this contractor which give the contractor's UTR no and VAT no. He used these to make his SA return. (he did this himself and we did not act at this time).
It seems unequitable that HMRC are seeking to tax our subcontractor because of the apparent failings of the contractor. I intend to rebut the point on the basis that it is the contractor's duty to provide a certificate of tax deducted and there is nothing else our client could have done, given his efforts. He can prove the payments came from the said contractor by reference to copy cheques and remittance slips/bank references.
Any opinions particulary with direction to the appropriate legislation would be most welcome.
- CGT on spouse's death 163 7
- Non resident pension withdrawal 131 2
- Tax relief for networking day out? 410 10
- Mortgage Adviser's request 229 6
- Starting Again 170 4
- Where do Balance Sheet Gains get recognised in CT600? 698 35
- P11D Software 767 9
- PAYE Dashboard inconsistency 190 4
- Why can't I paste into AccountingWeb? 249 5
- Can shareholders lend to their company at interest? 380 10
- Payroll software 177 4
- Company UTR numbers 295 6
- Summer house for business only 108 1
- Transfer of property to Limited Company 101 1
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 568 18
- New starter not showing on RTI FPS submission (MoneySoft payroll) 142 3
- Tax implication giving money to friend (not family) 142 3
- How do you count your clients 410 4
- Contractor & possible IR35 155 1
- GASDS What's the rule? 114 1
- Construction CIS LLP Company 592
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 580
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 380
- Pensions Regulator 346
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 280
- Government Gateway - VAT 276
- Using the correct forms 262
- SA penalty proposals 245
- RTI - duplicate employee record 238
- Accelerated payment notices 228