Why are we responsible?
We have/had a client who has just been made bankrupt by HMRC: a pub partnership- husband and wife.
It's been on the cards for about two years since a tax enquiry revealed they had not been declaring their true takings (never seen that before eh!) The point is that they have been to see solicitors- at £175/hour- who 'suggest' we, as their accountants, are 'negligent'
I have a written statement by the clients at interviews with HMRC admitting all liability so why do folks try to blame their accountant?
If I smoke (I don't) and go to my doctor denying I do, and then am diagnosed with lung cancer, do I then blame my doctor?
I wrote to the solicitor pointing out the facts and got the clients to sign the letter but....
Sometimes, just sometimes, I wonder why I bother.
- Business Christmas Greetings 625 14
- When will Private Principal Residence Relief cut will start? 419 10
- Ltd co client preparing own self assessment tax returns 166 4
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 307 9
- Is anyone a member of National Accountancy Network? 267 6
- Running Cost of Private Car more than 45p per mile?? 231 7
- Dispensation pointless ? 370 7
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 548 8
- Land Opt to Tax - VAT scope 127 5
- r&d payable tax credits 41 1
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 382 3
- CIS gross status review 170 2
- How do I clear transaction history - Sage 50 v9 195 4
- Can rental income ever be trading income? 117 2
- Playstation 4 - Allowable expense or not? 2,127 26
- Dividend paid to non-shareholder 363 10
- Claiming pension relief 66 1
- Tax on Bitcoin gains in hands of individual 235 3
- Property versus Trade in a Ltd Company 207 7
- Write off of former director's loan 400 8
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 788
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 493
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 305
- How to format a stock book 271
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 222
- Tax efficient holding company structure 211
- Outlook 2007 with business contact manager not loading on new laptop 203
- Investment property company accounts template 195
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 178
- Sage 50 Customer Statements and Running Balances 169