Why does the tax year end of 5th April?
Can anyone tell me why the tax year ends when it does and not at the end of the Calendar year - or even conveniently at the end of a month?
I'm sure I read somewhere that it was to do with tax collectors of old thinking they were being short changed in the move to/from the gregorian calendar.
- property capital gains 294 3
- Closing down loss-making company 592 10
- Incorporated company charity 90 1
- Client gets a penalty and being threatening! 272 5
- Website Content 360 3
- Entrepreneur relief and deduction of Amortisation of Goodwill Pre2002 241 7
- Taxation of sinking fund contributions 423 5
- HMRC having technical difficulties 1,089 19
- Overpaid In Employers NI - RTI EYU for hundreds of employees 397 2
- Incorporate to utilise dividend allowance next year? 608 11
- Tips on meals 385 3
- Director owns 47% of shares in company A and 100% of shares in Company B. Is Company B a participator in Company A for S455 purposes? 236 2
- Stumped - IHT 444 6
- No PAYE Registration but need auto enrolment 564 12
- Transferring DLA between Directors 361 3
- Company restructure - Share valuation, ERS and PAYE 144 2
- FHLs and Entrepreneurs Relief 126 1
- Creative Auto Enrolment 855 12
- HMRC now overriding SA bank repayment details on tax returns 1,430 35
- New LLP, basis of assessment and which boxes to complete? 155 3