Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- are receipts needed? 507 14
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 97 1
- Gift of property & improvements 134 3
- General tax book with planning 187 3
- VAT Invoice 185 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 274 5
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 229 9
- Error in past Corporate tax return 372 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,252 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 303 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 812 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 139 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 245 3
- Vat code for journal entries of director's expenses 169 2
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 472 10
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 395 8
- Help with tax codes on Sage 265 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 212 6
- Accounting for a finance lease 179 4
- SA302's anyone?? 550 16
- Skandia using wrong address 1,621
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 902
- International interest certificate 513
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 301
- Management expenses for investment company 268
- Bonus Bonds 262
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 176
- tax on apprenticeship income 175
- P11D benefit received by widow 153