Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Where has Portia gone? 5,052 110
- Help 168 10
- Dividends from UK plc - tax years and dates 93 2
- What do people do with signed accounts/engagement letters/tax returns? 223 9
- Overlap profit 294 7
- Moneysoft or Sage payroll with auto enrolment? 319 6
- RTI Payroll ID 2,064 25
- What is the correct Vat treatment and rate to use to record a business stay in a hotel in the EU? 134 1
- Payments on account 188 2
- Recurring Revenue/Costs occurred before registering, how do I handle this? 84 1
- What do your junior staff do? 524 7
- OMG HMRC !!!! Employ some ppl!! 655 12
- Keeping disastrous accounts 415 5
- Is my client risking reputational damage? 537 10
- VAT Exemptions for Dance Education 132 1
- Getting fees, getting harder? 3,943 74
- In pratice using part time accountants 355 3
- On the high seas 116 1
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 149 2
- Spousal transfer and PPR 860 34
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 853
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 445
- Sanzar 342
- How do you do it 338
- Digital marketing focus group 313
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 296
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 210
- Fit for purpose 203
- new investor structure 200
- VAT Registration 181