Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- valuation of vehicles 213 13
- Is there no lower level to the work a lawyer would take on. 575 19
- Money Laundering Manual 179 4
- directors loan 90 4
- RTI Mess 474 9
- Tax on LLP members drawings not covered by future profits 339 13
- Mortgage Interest - Tax Deductible 329 3
- Scientist switch to accountancy - work experience? 976 27
- CIS not deducted 236 4
- Business only use of company car 531 20
- Penalties for late PAYE scheme 117 1
- Paying PAYE by Direct Debit 485 17
- Worst corporate entertaining events? 1,070 8
- Sage Accounts in a mess 464 9
- New Company reviews please 371 9
- Buy to let investors and the budget changes. 434 6
- Tax efficient vehicle 608 11
- CGT on Let Property 200 3
- How best to split income on a Buy To Let - married. How do you decide beneficial ownership 387 6
- Dormant company late with their CH submission 461 13
- RTI Rollback to delete incorrect data 269
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 234
- Vouchedfor.co.uk 229
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 207
- Any thoughts on Capium? 185
- Expenses Software 184
- VAT FRS percentage for sales person? 173
- cgt quoted shares losses 171
- Sage Compatible P60's Self Seal 168
- auto enrolment 167