Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Tax Calculations 703 11
- Bankstream 1,189 28
- Unpaid fees 246 6
- Disengagement Help! 1,158 19
- Website costs (intangible assets) tax relief 44 1
- Probate services 564 18
- Creative Auto Enrolment 633 9
- Cash gift from India 397 12
- Corporation Tax releif for stolen "Bond" 86 1
- Account and Taxable Profit 503 21
- Stamp Duty Land Tax changes 116 2
- Accounting for corporation tax 445 9
- loan for one of the associated companies 170 9
- Is a deposit received on a failed property transaction in France taxable 150 1
- Digital tax accounts - what do we expect? 1,103 20
- nominee shareholder 127 1
- True Potential AE 128 1
- Maternity and claining expenses 507 5
- How to claim relief under a Double Taxation Agreement 343 7
- Bad Debt 115 1