Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Seeking advice: Director's claim to money 142 4
- Jobs after completing ACCA 98 2
- First director's salary payment 3 months after ltd company formation 571 11
- are these allowable deductions? 93 1
- Just another average day trying to deal with HMRC 1,640 20
- Laptop help needed I bought the wrong operating system 557 12
- HMRC AND BAD ORGANIZATION 65 1
- Option To Tax - VAT on residential sales? 57 1
- Companies Made Simple - I guess they don't want our business any more 403 6
- SEIS: is it ok for co to spend money before the shares are issued? 129 3
- Can Guernsey company have same name as mine 414 7
- Schedule A losses 148 1
- Identify cost savings 168 3
- Member meet up 1 October in London 298 7
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 185 5
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 828 1
- Fees 782 8
- P11D & tax return 282 10
- Freelance/Employee 921 22
- VAT on children's clothing 183 4
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 438
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 391
- Electric Car 332
- S222 Charge 269
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 240
- AIA 212
- IP trans to holding company 209
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 203
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 170
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 157