Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Sage vat return 78 1
- What taxes must employers pay in Continental Europe? e.g. Germany and France 112 1
- Setting up direct debit on Clients bank accounts to collect monthly payments 344 10
- Travel costs and contractors 275 3
- vat help for catering concession 146 3
- Employee works in UK paid by Denmark and uses company car from another business 79 1
- RTI and Directors' salaries 152 2
- Is there capital gains tax for selling a church? 215 3
- Importers 112 1
- How could I be identified for VAT purposes in UK? 280 4
- Tax free threshold on person receiving gifts 256 4
- dfgd fget 140 1
- More AE! 239 6
- New business - journal entries 613 27
- US Citizen but never resident in US 222 4
- LLP Tax Allocation Prior Year Amendment 76 1
- aia 127 1
- UK company paying dividend to foreign shareholder 452 10
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 460 16
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 269 5
- Auto enrolment excuses 994
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 746
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 432
- Problems with Sage 50 Payroll v21(2015) pension module 253
- Digita Hosted Software 251
- Social investment tax relief 244
- Call Centre Data Costs 230
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 185
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 150
- Petrol station franchise and VAT 139