Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Is laminated flooring an improvement on carpets? 273 10
- Seting up a Direct Debit for PAYE 226 2
- Recharge for private use of a company car 522 17
- how to object to registered company name... 253 2
- Capitalising purchased software 61 1
- Late Filing and Late Registration Penalty 93 2
- Property income in different capacities 231 5
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 475 12
- CGT 452 19
- CGT 270 5
- Vat registration exception 105 2
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 445 10
- VAT rate charged by surveyor 98 1
- Charity Grant accounting 97 3
- Entrepreneurs Relief 848 46
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 237 5
- EU eservices VAT change imminent 407 8
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 445 5
- VAT QUESTION 338 3
- More AE! 703 15
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,208
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 805
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 502
- Digita Hosted Software 325
- Credit where credit's due....... 296
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 231
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 175
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 149
- TheTax Donut 144
- Corporation Tax return - more than one trade 143