Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- IR 35 deemed payment calc 120 2
- Limited Company Contractor renting a house whilst working at a temporary location 121 3
- Capital Gain? 513 14
- thinking of starting up - AAT ACCA 208 5
- Sell business after leaving country 120 2
- How much to charge? 238 5
- CIMA MIP - wife joining business, non MIP 161 1
- Client with enquiry inro careless or negligent tax return 638 15
- Income tax on foreign dividends 241 2
- break even point 593 18
- Simple consolidation question 113 2
- Client charged VAT by US supplier 390 10
- Abandoning accountancy membership in order to operate as a sole trader 1,000 27
- How does the tax payer dis-apply/disclaim from use of their personal allowance? 405 9
- Client cash balances, on or off-balance sheet for full service brokerage firm 205 3
- Abolish the penalty regime 285 5
- Separating a business into retail and wholesale, with husband and wife as separate owner/managers. 171 4
- IHT Query 241 4
- Old Books for a 'NON' Client 447 2
- BrightPay 697 22
- Possible Partnership? 466
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 442
- Lunatics in charge of the asylum - Bluestone 429
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 233
- Growing Limited Company concerned about assets if something goes wrong 228
- Clubs and Taxable Income 218
- New Fangled Penalties 217
- Subsistence and hotel expenses 212
- Deferring taxable income until after 5 April 185
- Loans to other companies 167