Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Director leaving in month 1 54 1
- S162 and Capital Allowances 101 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 109 4
- Selling assets to yourself ? 162 3
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 186 2
- 24 Month Rule - New Employer 160 3
- Director's remuneration accrual 146 4
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 168 6
- IHT - clawback of BPR 34 1
- EIS - connection through employment 83 2
- HMRC Dispensation - How long does it last for? 223 3
- Electronically supplied services - B2B 32 1
- CIS and Close Company 73 2
- Correct tax & VAT treatment of local overnight expenses 219 4
- Secondment expenses 146 3
- VAT Option to tax 436 15
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 112 4
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 103 3
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 135 3
- VAT Registration 326 5
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 904
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 636
- Free Tax Legislation? 397
- Director Loan account operation 394
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 323
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 316
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 222
- Paye procedures for CVA 217
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 180