Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- How will auto enrolment affect accountants? 1,478 41
- Purchase of shares and goodwill 141 3
- Directors Remunerations and Employees on CT600 91 1
- Anyone Heard of This Outfit? 264 1
- How can I tell what returns are outstanding on HMRC online? 234 3
- Practice management - that old chestnut....... 1,233 19
- Suppliers for Online Card Payments? 365 6
- Go Cardless 383 10
- Self assessment tax arrears 328 3
- Mehjoo 334 2
- Tax Return Member LLP 150 1
- How to prove income for a mortgage if you have no SA302s 408 5
- Amazon Fees, Sage VAT/Tax code T20? 199 4
- SA302 346 7
- US Employment Income - Double Tax Treaty 296 13
- Bringing money to Uk 300 4
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 219 4
- Hmrc software 262 3
- What expenses can be claimed after a move to Cornwall? 198 1
- Hosted email exchange 193 5
- Xtuple 522
- Qtac payroll for bureau 357
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 301
- Industrial & Provident Societies 294
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 238
- VAT Payable on Expenses for Non-VAT Registered Ltd Co 216
- Why would HMRC offer to close an investigation by contract settlement 211
- Domain name sale and limited company 182
- CIS schemes 179
- Director legal fees in loose connection to the company 155