Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- US LLC - anomaly in UK and US treatment 210 3
- UK tax exposure 136 2
- flat rate scheme 257 7
- Deferred income - financial concern no recognised turnover CT600 205 2
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 500 6
- Non-UK resident - where to pay income tax? 74 3
- Director's Earnings when Drawing from Goodwill profit from Sole Trading Company sale to Ltd Company 242 2
- What do young accountants know that you don't? 2,002 9
- Company limited by guarantee having only 1 member 161 3
- capital allowances - Demolition of a building 180 2
- Limited by Guarantee - Members 117 1
- VAT refund 338 3
- Are you going to Tick and Bash on 21 May? 1,293 37
- Turnover on a tax return 575 12
- incorrect old p60 573 15
- Company to buy shareholder land 164 4
- Posting Corp Tax to Sage Line 50 169 1
- Special dividends & CGT 215 1
- Networking 381 5
- Bank Interest Held by Solicitor During Divorce 290 2