Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Grammar, spelling and silly questions 938 40
- Investment from Friend 189 10
- Receipt bank 351 8
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 639 24
- Trading lossess & non trading co & investment income 48 1
- Do we have to register for VAT? 488 10
- Self Assessment and P11D 157 4
- Director remuneration £1000 only in year. paye registration required? 343 4
- Company dividends 550 15
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 192 5
- Directors Salary and Self Assessment (PAYE) 91 1
- Tax Penalty overreaction 2,184 15
- Two weeks grace on self assessment where repayment is due? 171 2
- TRONC scheme 106 1
- Advice on letting a client go ? 715 13
- Capital Gains Relief 167 5
- client can't/won't pay 1,615 29
- Identity check problem 1,274 13
- A Director of a Ltd Company let a general Manager run the company, and if anything goes wrong the general manager is responsible? 218 3
- Business Set up cost 116 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 881
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 582
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 545
- Latest phishing scam 479
- Entrepreneurs' relief 428
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 351
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 326
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 250
- Penalties- On Tax Returns (New Regime) 247
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 172