Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Need some help on importing procedures and VAT 145 2
- Statement of Accounts 40 3
- GP's Annual Certificate of Pensionable Profits - Multiple Practices 129 2
- Any Answers changes - feedback required 2,800 91
- Solicitor wants to rent room in my office but 92 2
- Director Expenses and P11D but no PAYE scheme in place 198 7
- How do you get HMRC to refund overpaid PAYE and NIC 226 2
- Who's going to the next Tick & Bash? 189 3
- Transfer of Software to sister company 172 2
- ACCA, ACPA, IFA, ICPA 325 4
- What rent was paid for income tax purposes? 144 1
- CGT history of shares 239 4
- Client Entertainment to get new business or referral as opposed to say thanks 285 3
- CIS Subcontractor Catch Twenty Two Position after 14 years 389 6
- CGT on sale of let property 171 2
- how do i get UTR 210 3
- Input VAT suffered in EU 117 2
- Is there any good reading I can obtain to do self assesment on partnerships? 274 3
- Your comments please 368 6
- VAT on Royal Mail Parcel Services 225 9
- Moving away from CCH software 980
- QROP pension input amounts 456
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 402
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 388
- fraud 309
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 292
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 249
- Construction CIS LLP Company 234
- EPS and CIS deductions 228
- Out of time or not? 216