Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- New business - journal entries 139 10
- 100% Annual investment allowance on luxury cars 644 17
- Alerting clients versus walking away from clients 308 4
- Trade name 20 1
- Resident Landlord Expenses 165 6
- Samadian effect on self employed student support workers 92 3
- Why should I retain membership? 2,502 42
- Employee shareholder contracts 100 1
- Lettings expenses 94 2
- Capital Allowances and Building Improvements 355 12
- Annual tax investigation cover fee? 319 11
- Can a sole-trader make pension contributions to avoid loss of personal allowance? 286 9
- PAYE 457 12
- Using CT600.pdf if all the directors are different 81 1
- Bloomsbury Professional tax books 161 2
- Stamp duty on multiple property transaction 276 16
- IFA incorporation problems 184 3
- Statutory accounts, current company address, or one that was correct at EOY? 75 2
- Director's loan account in credit 204 1
- Excel question - how can I easily link to a row of data with gaps between the cells? 676 23
- Auto enrolment excuses 728
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 698
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 374
- Social investment tax relief 194
- Digita Hosted Software 186
- Call Centre Data Costs 183
- option to tax 167
- VAT on deposits 160
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 143
- Travel costs and contractors 137