Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Using home as clients registered address 161 4
- How much does the company pay 734 31
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 270 4
- Childcare vouchers 357 8
- Is this a qualifying loan for interest deductions? 55 2
- New Enterprise Allowance 61 1
- VAT Notice 700/64 - claiming VAT on motor repairs 50 1
- two business from one premises 175 3
- VAT transfer on going concern on incorporation 38 1
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 239 4
- HMRC property income enquiry 401 9
- 10 Worst xmas presents for an accountant 330 4
- Merry Christmas 113 2
- THEATRE SHOW - HIRE - VAT PAYABLE ON TICKET SALES 79 3
- New Incorporations - ERTNAC hoax - anyone else seen this? 1,083 12
- Anyone else still working this week? 418 13
- LTD home office - would HMRC seek to disallow 1,428 9
- Client being taken to court and really do not know what to do 547 12
- Section 165 TCGA 1992 - time limit? 119 2
- AIA 294 18
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 506
- corporate hierarchy 470
- Advice - 325
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 274
- WWOOFers 265
- The booking.com con 248
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 243
- Cocaine anyone? 230
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 219
- UK State pension paid in NZ 177