Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Your fondest calculator memories 1,238 45
- practice planning 155 3
- Accounts Software 712 19
- Company Pension Contributions 2013/14 239 9
- Goodwill Valuation Prior to April 2002, with the intention of selling on due to personal changes 499 14
- Dividend Vouchers 377 5
- Gift to employee 414 14
- Profit accruing in fiduciary or representative capacity 162 3
- MS Surface Pro 3 152 2
- HMRC Penalties - are they enforceable? 1,120 37
- Child and Working Tax Credits and sudden increase in investment income - does this trigger a claw back? 187 3
- Anybody have that old ACCA Student Training Record (STR1) 160 1
- Question re Career choice... 1,666 10
- Which address 1,080 12
- Does anybody still use a Filofax? 615 20
- Financial statements in Word, with formulas 1,525 17
- R&D tax claim 265 7
- You think HMRC are inefficient? 553 9
- Tax Allowance on University Course 211 1
- Transfer of a business 136 1
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 489
- CTA study material 467
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 339
- Pre incorp expenses 324
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 274
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 265
- What is the tax position if I am working overseas but via a UK agency? 214
- Gift Aid after 5 April, before 31 Jan - Tax Credits 169
- Taxation of partners in an LLP following new rules 141
- Employment related securities question 129