Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Travel and Subsistence expenses while abroad 268 4
- Course costs for retraining as a barrister 79 5
- How to post Sales figures in Sage50 Accounts (we use separate Sales ledger) 88 2
- Goodwill omitted from first years accounts 170 11
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 516 5
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 434 8
- Limited company buying a car 100 3
- ACCA practice certificates 478 5
- Limited company buying director's car 269 10
- Question on HMRC past taxes (+penalties) on non-resident 57 1
- Is it possible to change a client's trading address for Vat purposes online 58 1
- WC's and capital allowances 164 3
- Entrepeneurs relief 291 13
- Dress code 1,532 36
- Which company is best for online new company formation? 473 13
- CTA and Tolley's tax handbooks 245 6
- HMRC Seminar on Penalties - Did you last the course? 366 4
- CIC Tax - what is trading? 466 23
- What is the status of "Whistleblowing" these days - do you get rewarded? 163 4
- Loan Repayment on Invoice 96 3
- CTA study material 765
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 475
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 387
- Employment related securities question 306
- AIM Stocks and IHT 278
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 256
- Expat pension contributions? 255
- Trust for Employee 233
- Service Charge Accountant Career Options 166
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 146