Working for Myself
I have worked in Finance now for over 10 years, qualifying as an ACCA 3 years ago. I would really like to work for myself one day soon, but as I have always worked in industry rather than practice I do not have the necessary experience to apply for an ACCA practising certificate, which all ACCA members in practice must have. I have been applying for practice jobs for the last 3 years (since qualifying) but have had no success.
I am therefore left with 4 options:
1. Resign my ACCA membership and set up in Practice. I can still call myself an Accountant (as can anyone!!) but obviously I really don’t want to throw away all the hard work and sacrifice I spent studying for 5 years!
2. Resign my ACCA membership and join the AAT, their guidelines seem a lot less stringent!
3. Work within the ACCA guidelines, only doing basic bookkeeping etc.
4. Set up a Practice as a LTD company with my wife as Managing Director and employing me as an Accountant. Not sure if this would work but technically I would be an employee not a partner or director in an Accountants firm so I could continue to be an ACCA member but would not need a practising certificate (I think?).
Does anyone have any suggestions/advice particularly on the legal/ethical position of option 4 above? I really don’t want to give up my ACCA membership, nor do I want to mislead any clients. All I want to do is work for myself and give clients comfort that I am a qualified experienced accountant, who knows what he is doing, along with maintaining the recognition for all my hard work.
- Do I need to report this to SOCA 2,648 25
- Have I dropped a major clanger? 499 10
- Errors in prior year accounts 851 23
- Director forgot to take salary for 2013/2014 2,350 18
- What is going on with VAT applications?? 1,985 39
- VAT & capitalising 133 3
- Final year's accounts 160 1
- Do I Need A Balance Sheet? 316 5
- Self Assessment Tax Return Penalties 306 5
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 314 7
- Filing FPS early with moneysoft 255 15
- Have we a distribution when we reduced our capital but it hadn't been registered? & tax implications in winding up 149 2
- What are options for non CA firm 1,982 36
- Invoice Help 256 7
- Summer evenings and ponderings of capital allowances 193 3
- Employee overpaid who has left 262 4
- Limited Company keeping receipts 246 3
- Sorry ignore me 919 24
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 598 5
- Free Shares ? 252 2
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 625
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 534
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 298
- Cancelled 285
- Cancelled 245
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 195
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 192
- Probiz 180
- Married woman dies owning marital home 170
- What's the market like for temps? 168