Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Goods Purchased for Rental 61 1
- Letting relief on property transferred to a spouse 238 9
- Buy to let and capitak gain 36 1
- ideas for a bonus scheme for accountants 637 10
- Charge for use of credit card - permitted 296 7
- Flat rate Vat Scheme & Vat on wholesale production of Cakes and other deserts 248 10
- New Built in oven - allowable as repair? 240 4
- Accounting for Bank Loyalty Rewards? 101 1
- General tax book with planning 224 5
- Anybody heard of Geniac, the new De Lorean? 162 3
- tax on apprenticeship income 191 1
- are receipts needed? 537 14
- Gift of property & improvements 150 3
- VAT Invoice 207 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 281 5
- Error in past Corporate tax return 379 6
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 3,276 69
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 315 11
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 821 32
- IHT and Swiss Property 140 1
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 903
- International interest certificate 514
- NOVA 369
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 311
- Management expenses for investment company 270
- Bonus Bonds 263
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 178
- Going to need a tax, insolvency and legal specialist I think 169
- P11D benefit received by widow 153
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 146