Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,967 45
- Love is in the air 184 3
- I am 34 years old, am I too old to start a career in Accounting ? which is the best way to pursue it 1,657 20
- Sage Instant Accounts Complete De-install problem 239 8
- Allegedly ICAS most of us at 50 should pack up - Interesting 353 8
- Reimbursing director travel costs 388 5
- Client Paperwork Retention? 491 11
- Sage 50 VAT Return 139 2
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 516 1
- Paying Son 633 18
- Pay rise - how to enter in Moneysoft 338 7
- HMRC accounting 264 3
- Employers NI allowance 447 6
- Dividend taxation 265 3
- VAT refund if only output tax on first claim 174 1
- Physiotherapist and vat and agency work ( one for Les Howard???) 182 2
- Tax Overlap Reporting 160 3
- Buy to Let Property! Shell I buy or not? 445 4
- iris update 11.9.2 449 7
- HMRC Discovery powers 277 3
- DTA tie-breaker issue 294
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 274
- CGT for NOn UK residents 273
- Employer's pension contribution - need to be PAYE registered? 260
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 243
- profit or loss on furnishings and deed of trust 232
- Apprenticeship Levy 231
- Capital Gains personal representatives 215
- Tenants in Common - Actual % split not written down 208
- Mandating Rental income or dividend income to a company 186