Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Do you get your clients to sign their EOY EPS submission? 134 4
- Google contacts sharing within our domain 345 6
- Scams are not always obvious 1,736 31
- Which purchase date should I consider in the asset register 46 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 337 15
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 164 4
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 142 2
- Financial statements accounting policies 170 4
- Accountants website 127 1
- Employed or self employed 93 1
- Relationship between amortisation and distributable profits 177 9
- Design your ideal tax department 859 19
- Statutory Residence Test - is HMRC Guidance wrong? 255 6
- Deemed Employment Payment 394 2
- Little PPR calc question 213 4
- Restructuring company and Form 42 176 7
- Overpayment notice 132 1
- Limited Companies, Directors Employer Registration P11D 233 9
- Cells from many sheets 193 3
- notice of consent by surrendering company group relief 184 8
- New Fangled Penalties 1,058
- Moving away from CCH software 920
- Recruitment agencies 544
- QROP pension input amounts 422
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 369
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 325
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 304
- fraud 247
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 230
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 204