Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Corporation Tax Software 126 1
- Can interest received be netted against interest paid in this scenario? 206 5
- Self-employed or Ltd Company or seek employment 268 8
- Goodie bag 1,743 55
- Do sole traders qualify for tax relief at source on pension contributions? 208 2
- CIS monthly returns 245 5
- Apostille documents 165 3
- Fair Value Accounting 126 2
- New Practice - Accounting Software 3,492 88
- Husband Wife let property 388 11
- Pass-through costs - show gross or net under UK GAAP / IFRS? 112 2
- Retrospectively change VAT scheme? 215 4
- Games Tax Relief 66 1
- Partnership Tax Return £100 penalty-was a tax return due in this case? 533 13
- can I approach clients ? 515 9
- Film Actors - Averaging? 367 9
- Paying Harvest casuals and casual beaters 236 3
- FreeAgent question 151 2
- Output tax for retailer 328 8
- Footballers Testimonials Taxable? 313 3
- Possible Partnership? 651
- Tax and accounting treatment on long lease granted from freehold 525
- New Fangled Penalties 453
- Fuming! 398
- Purchase of property freehold - capitalisation of costs 321
- Charity dissolution and newly merged charity 262
- Outsource Data Entry 245
- Lenovo – Superfish & Komodia – is your PC vulnerable 239
- Moving away from CCH software 234
- Do I need a US Tax Identification Number to complete W-8BEN-E? 179