Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- How much did you pay for your website 1,196 22
- Dispensing with accounting periods, with nested ledgers. 208 4
- Fastest Software 646 11
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 92 1
- Where did it go? 226 2
- cancellation of Engagement 126 2
- Seed Enterprise Investment Scheme Charges 85 1
- Feuding directors 239 8
- VAT Registration for Building Company 95 2
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 482 12
- Vat threshold issues 1,894 14
- Company Accounts - Limited company 608 5
- Use of Home for Sole Trader 230 4
- Vodaphone Share Scheme 90 1
- Benefit fraud 3,418 49
- SA Tax Returns 151 3
- Agent Change of Postal Address 139 2
- Consolidated accounts 122 2
- On line petition re HMRC grabbing money from taxpayer bank accounts 1,024 24
- How to deal with a prior year CT adjustment 357 12
- CTA study material 650
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 393
- Employment related securities question 244
- ATED Penalties 219
- AIM Stocks and IHT 198
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 166
- Trust for Employee 152
- Expat pension contributions? 149
- Staff accommodation without a rental value or RV 134
- Capital allowances 121