Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Donations (to a school!) 42 3
- Am I allowed Rent A Room Relief? 447 10
- Starting as sole trader from abroad 57 3
- Beaters and allowable exenses 91 2
- Family loan 223 7
- Repairs after a rental business ends 135 5
- Standard 'email' template system 619 10
- Shutting down a company with creditors 677 8
- Any Scottish members out there? 6,699 248
- FL Memo - Any Good 471 8
- Tax implications for client leaving share incentive plan 27 1
- VAT Romania - how to register 170 3
- 50% Shareholder & Director stealing money from the business 301 8
- Private Residence Election for CGT purposes 227 4
- Looking for subcontract work! 235 5
- Disclosure of pending convertible loan notes? 187 9
- What's your best practice shortcut or 'hack'? 1,653 39
- Consolidation of new group 76 2
- Anti Money Laundering Checks 252 3
- Recycle old study books 450 11
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,080
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 351
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 293
- National Insurance 252
- valuation of intangible asset FRS10 and FRS20 227
- Joint construction arrangement CIS and VAT 227
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 212
- Payments on account coded out?? 211
- Non Resident 170
- Franchise income and costs 158