Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Company valuation for IHT purposes 129 4
- Yorkshire Day 527 35
- Do I need a smartphone? 1,775 65
- Principal Private Residence relief on two semis knocked together 120 4
- Subcontractor and CIS Deductions made by Contractor 351 16
- Entrepreneurs relief sale of business to two different buyers?? 103 3
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 583 1
- SMP reclaimable by employer 263 7
- Agent help line - long queues? 216 4
- the umbrella scheme for PAYE 90 1
- inflation rate year on year 77 2
- Deleted question? 650 15
- Self Assessment Tax Return Required ???? 282 8
- Company no longer showing on Companies House web site 344 8
- EU VAT Registration Thresholds 143 6
- E-Magazines and pdfs 143 3
- Late annual return 199 2
- Flat rate VAT 370 8
- corporation tax 479 5
- Credit card receipts vs VAT receipts 2,140 29
- Cancelled 457
- Cancelled 380
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 372
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 350
- Probiz 350
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 254
- Is this UK incapacity benefit taxable in UK or Jersey? 231
- Another HMRC computer glitch? 224
- More spam 180
- Does anyone have SCI unit contact details? 155