Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- sole trader to ltd company 54 2
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 111 3
- Rogue Accountant 1,063 33
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,104 35
- Spousal transfer and PPR 298 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 225 7
- Dual taxation - usa 184 2
- My house has fallen down 444 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 91 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 277 10
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 249 7
- Inheritance Tax Advice 88 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 107 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 547 8
- Getting fees, getting harder? 939 22
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 284 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 201 2
- Property sale split between years 156 5
- VAT charge on e-service supply 94 3
- VATMOSS filing 165 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 638
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 404
- Pensions Regulator 378
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 321
- RTI - duplicate employee record 319
- Using the correct forms 297
- SA penalty proposals 295
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 274
- Digital marketing focus group 196
- Sage Vat return box 2 185