Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Can you get tax deduction for legal fees on sale of debtors 58 3
- Matching of tax return to P60 44 1
- Business Christmas Greetings 1,015 20
- Concerned about RTI 2014 2,197 53
- Related Parties Note 117 3
- Whats the best way to keep my accounts? 767 22
- Consolidation and subsidiaries with different period ends 192 7
- what time is it ? 312 4
- Capital Allowances on Foreign Property 89 2
- Sage 50 Accounts - Opening Bank Account Balance Posted to Nominal 9998 Suspense Account 434 24
- VAT on disbursement 168 2
- tax credits 213 7
- Victor Meldrew morning 1,046 17
- EC VAT codes in Sage 50 89 1
- LLP - Member leaving 199 6
- Year end 267 3
- Foreign income for self employed 174 2
- Is there difference between when you state you will provide a specific provison and you will make a specific provision of £3200 against a partcular debt? 313 9
- Error in 11-12 return done by previous accountant, do we have to offer them to correct or can I do and client reclaim cost 330 9
- Personal returns late information - when to get tough? 1,152 14
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 915
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 529
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 336
- How to format a stock book 323
- Tax efficient holding company structure 258
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 248
- Investment property company accounts template 234
- auto enrolment - calculation of first pension deduction 197
- RTI and Annual Directors Salary 185
- Charge out rates in London? 159