Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Donaldson v HMRC case being heard tomorrow! 237 3
- Real names 1,270 38
- Dissolve a Ltd Company - How much do you charge? 422 8
- Accounting for VAT on an EU Acquisition 118 1
- first year company tax return for a limited company 207 5
- reliable alternative to registered ofice required 112 1
- Expenses Apps 165 2
- Entrepreneurs relief available? 179 4
- Quick Easy Quote 259 4
- What are options for non CA firm 1,805 29
- Solicitor accounts 85 1
- Unallocated client money 250 7
- change of office address 148 4
- Hive up - accounting and notes to financial statements 237 3
- Incorporation Relief 142 4
- Letting income or partnership income? 119 2
- Legal Advice Needed Bank Account Blocked 360 4
- Furniture Rental Business 108 2
- Client Death 563 9
- Accounts formation/ speculative advertising 201 4
- Proposed Amendments to IAS 1 606
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 492
- Sorry ignore me 384
- Accounting for Insurance Premium Financing 367
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 282
- Cancelled 247
- Cancelled 220
- Bartercard 177
- C79 Discrepancy 175
- Sage Report Designer - Nominal Activity in Currency 164