Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- How to convert a pdf file to.. 184 3
- Late filing penalties refunded 147 2
- ITS HAPPENED AGAIN SPAM SPAM SPAM 464 13
- Gross Profit Margin- motor vehicle mechanic 138 2
- CGT on house within Limited Company 303 10
- Subsistence Claims 325 3
- India Capital Gain 162 2
- Fee reasonable or OTT? 370 7
- Pressure to upgrade from Sage 50 Accounts 2013 227 4
- Why won't CH validate accounts? 556 12
- Care Home - Job Price 309 5
- Fee headache 513 4
- Dormant payroll 764 7
- Switch from Sage CT to Digita CT? 138 1
- Our French VAT registered supplier is supplying our French VAT registered customer directly with goods but is invoicing us (a VAT registered UK company). Can I ask them not to charge us VAT? 314 7
- An opportunity to 'vent' your annoyance/anger? 1,559 12
- Interest on Loan to External Individual 147 1
- This feels wrong.... 1,610 21
- Overlap relief 409 10
- Subsistence expenses paid directly from company account 222 2
- Is this Tax Deductible??? 515
- Theatre Tax Relief 423
- Has anyone been affected by the RBS payment breakdown? 330
- Windows 10 on-going support ... 311
- Straight line write off of Purchase Goodwill ??? 289
- Perkbox 239
- FRS 102 compliant illustrative accounts for an insurance company 226
- Compensation - Taxable or not then CGT or IT 221
- Self Assessment - What to enter on the return 200
- Document Management Systems 199