Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 131 2
- 1 investor and 1 director 50% shareholding each advice please 37 1
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 131 1
- Instant CPD offer 288 4
- Cash basis 520 13
- Income from rent charged to business 137 2
- payroll software 373 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 447 5
- Statutory sick pay 311 4
- Dividend in specie 371 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 223 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 179 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 147 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 277 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 296 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 174 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 391 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,859 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 339 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 262 2
- Skandia using wrong address 579
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 310
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 310
- Employee rewards 291
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 260
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 231
- Etax Australian 190
- LLP in Construction Industry 157
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 134
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 134