Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Flat Rate VAT 212 8
- When to register or not for PAYE 528 11
- Invoicing for monthly clients 474 8
- Seeking advice: With recruitment agencies for temporary placements, is VAT taken off the whole sum received from the client, or just what the company retains? 213 5
- How do you pay Inheritance Tax when HMRC haven't demanded it 555 8
- Redundancy pay 311 9
- Final CT Return - liquidating company 222 2
- VAT on farm machinery sold 258 5
- Servicing AE fees 158 2
- VAT Receipts 256 8
- Changing pay dates on Moneysoft 120 2
- P800 problems again 97 1
- Company accounts for £350 961 27
- Directors Loan Account Question 419 12
- Am I the only one who finds this annoying 1,151 40
- Setting up a Charity Trust?? 143 4
- Seeking advice: Osetting Directors Loan at Startup 217 5
- Software for Accounts layout 265 4
- Today's HMRC Business Help & Support SA302s 236 6
- Debt management unit HMRC 169 1
- FRS 101 Software 332
- Motor Traders Assistant Bookkeeping Programme queries 302
- Continuity of practice-ACCA 295
- Tracesmart/Lexis Nexis AML software? Any opinions? 271
- French ConnectionUK 236
- Fundraising for friend - minimise tax? 207
- Can anyone explain Indian Minimum Alternate Tax 201
- Recommended International mobile phone coverage and costs? 199
- APN's 183
- Penalties for late filing of P11D forms 180