Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Importing transactions from VT Cashbook to VT Transaction+ 14 1
- Family Partnership 333 10
- Are any of you members of The Institute of Financial Accountants - Accountnats certificate 1,255 24
- Moving to BTC from Sage Accounts Production 70 1
- Restriction of trading loss and overlap relief 189 3
- Multiple for fee bank purchase 225 5
- Business lending another business money (UK) 329 9
- Manufacturer cashback on fixed asset purchase 104 1
- Does anyone have an old version of Sage for sale? 323 7
- Problems viewing AWeb posts 210 5
- CIC Abbreviated Accounts 205 6
- Business trips - director and family 432 3
- Signed accounts for bank 685 15
- flat rate scheme 2,394 50
- Rollover relief - No new asset purchased 337 5
- Can I prepare dormant accounts? 224 2
- How do you integrate prepaid expenses in to the cash conversion cycle? 119 2
- What route into accountancy would you recommend? 881 12
- Deferring dividends on paper 230 5
- VAT Query on new build 139 1