Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- *Urgent pls advise * filing dormant accounts to Companies House 343 16
- Limited Company - Personal Bank Account 398 13
- Who can wind up a Promissory Trust? 58 1
- Website development costs - tax and accounting treatment 187 2
- MAAT signing off ACCA PER? 270 2
- Amazon - digital book sales 180 1
- tax insider 294 4
- Builder Gifted Deposit and capital gains 420 13
- Auto-Enrolment 201 3
- Annual subs 165 2
- Statement of Earnings, no P45 150 2
- Expenses paid by director (the owner) 181 2
- Mileage and Self Assessment 157 1
- ICAEW professional subscription and tax implications 222 4
- CGT Relief on Share Sale in LTD company 334 5
- Problems filing paper copies of accounts / computations with HMRC 498 9
- Payroll Manager not reoprting properly 319 7
- Directors remuneration declared after year end PAYE/NIC 606 25
- Advice please on best way forward 444 6
- I received penalty as I didn't submit full payment submission (fps), how to correct it? 351 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,410
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 721
- Any views 660
- HMRC Employers Diary 493
- International interest certificate 409
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 367
- Sale of business 314
- NOVA 224
- IR35 & Managed Service Companies 220
- Advertising services? 217