Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 340 5
- See you all on the other side 542 6
- 12Pay 265 2
- dividends 338 2
- R&D 206 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,069 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 358 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 258 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 218 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 456 5
- Seeking a tax case 493 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 353 4
- Companies house strike off 316 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 254 2
- Moving to the cloud 672 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 189 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 807 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 177 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,035 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 405 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 533
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 403
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 359
- IRIS and FRS 102 338
- Capitalising Finance Lease 302
- USA help 298
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 267
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 257
- Capital gains on rental property 240
- Sage Coretime 224