Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Unhappy client over fees 1,018 24
- ACCA student with study package 288 7
- Letter saying client is IR35 compliant 1,319 13
- COMPANIES HOUSE - DOWN LOAD FREE ACCOUNTS 230 8
- HMRC Online services Issue 239 10
- VAT exempt question.. 143 4
- do i need an online accounting software 452 5
- Financing goodwill 164 3
- Auto enrolment pension scheme set up 605 13
- Eligibility to FRS VAT 170 2
- ltd company 191 3
- Flat rate VAT and Work in progress 254 4
- How did the VAT Office get the bank account? 248 2
- Does pension term assurance count for unused relief purposes? 364 2
- What VAT rate 156 3
- Preference Shares and Dividend Waivers 152 1
- Self-employed: claiming expenses initially paid by somebody else 260 8
- Foreign Dividends: UK tax credit 271 5
- Staff commissions 155 1
- Company Van - Classic vehicle 288 4
- NHS finance professionals 782
- Foreign Pension Contribution 464
- Pre Season Invoice dated September how do you treat the VAT as not due until May 16 453
- SWAT AML v Anti Money Laundering Compliance Plus (AMLCP) 398
- Management reporting dashboards and cloud accounting 359
- Incorporating doctors 339
- IFA income recognition & reporting 273
- Form P55 in year tax repayment claim for non-resident 253
- Are subsistence claims firmly attached to the 24 month rule ? 242
- When is sale recognised in an agency who receives commission? 200