Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 79 2
- Scanners 140 3
- Payment plans for clients 47 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 210 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 193 7
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 381 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 424 9
- P60 or payslips? 52 1
- Property income in different capacities 82 1
- IHT dilemma 1,369 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 176 1
- IT advisory questions? 158 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 790 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 117 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 511 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 458 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 626 12
- More AE! 647 14
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 138 4
- PAYE 1,647 17
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,152
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 794
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 482
- Digita Hosted Software 316
- Credit where credit's due....... 266
- Director phone costs 226
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 224
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 183
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 147
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 132