Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- Account and Taxable Profit 281 17
- Accounting for corporation tax 197 6
- Class 2 NIC 251 5
- Probate services 427 9
- Is self-employment "another job" for PAYE 370 7
- Is Xero payroll as rubbish as I suspect it is? 1,700 37
- Vat payable on van 131 1
- Bookkeeping Rate of Pay 2,829 42
- Invoices raised after company dissolution 239 7
- Community Faux Pas 929 26
- Cash gift from India 125 1
- Is cloud accounting actually pretty pants? 2,308 40
- Windows10 177 4
- Taxi Drivers Cost of Sale 622 24
- Digita Accounts Production Advanced - general perception 471 25
- A thursday afternoon muse 230 2
- Barrister "M25 Patch"? 387 6
- Is HMRC Basic Tools basically wrong? 872 5
- Unusual marketing methods for accountants 795 14
- An IT question 291 6
- ACCA Shenanigans subject of EDM 835
- Benchmark accounting software 691
- Members in Public Practice 515
- Sole trader registering for the first time 328
- Oplex Careers CPD 321
- What are HMRC implying? 305
- VAT 257
- My own & spouse's Irish returns & ROS 248
- Payroll manager and the cloud 218
- Is the APN valid 196