Would this work to get ER
Client farmer is getting on a bit. He owns the freehold to two farms personally and he is a 50:50 partner with his wife in a trading farm partnership.
Farm A has been passed down through the generations and Farm B was acquired by him about 20 years ago.
Both farms are controlled out of 1 farmhouse and it is effectively one farming business carried out over the two pieces of land.
He wants to sell farm B because work is getting on top of him and wants to downsize.
I have explained that ER would not be available on the disposal of the Farm B given that he is not retiring or giving up his business. He is merely reducing the scale of operations. That unfortunately is not what ER is about.
It has been suggested to me that to help this case, we could have Mr Farmer reduce his interest in the farming partnership from 50% to 25%, the wife becoming a 75% partner in the trading partnership and thereafter Farm B is disposed of. Thus giving the opportunity to bolt the disposal of Farm B onto the disposal of half his interest in the business as an associated disposal.
I think it is very contrived and open to question, but upon reading the legislation it would appear to be an option.
What do others think.
- A change from the old Q v NQ debate 2,635 54
- Personal Allowance for non residents 365 9
- Vat 84 3
- PAYE 100 3
- xerocon 70 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,098 10
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 156 1
- VAT: option to tax 113 2
- IHT dilemma 300 11
- Share Valuation 66 2
- Dormant company or not? 317 13
- VAT - Land Related Services 96 1
- Best form of debt recovery 168 3
- Backdating VAT claim 54 1
- WIP recognition for builders 377 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 310 15
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 192 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 121 2
- Share Issue 220 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 152 11
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 656
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 521
- Auto enrolment excuses 502
- Removed post 370
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 348
- Social investment tax relief 162
- Call Centre Data Costs 156
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 155
- Digita Hosted Software 140
- option to tax 127