Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Threshold company limited by guarantee. 21 1
- What do you all do in your spare time? 585 27
- Retrospective VAT Claim 73 1
- New client has not reported director's pay by RTI 319 9
- Auto Enrolment - Director Only Answer 1,384 20
- SAGE 50 PAYROLL YEAR END 202 5
- So who has completed a 2015 tax return then? 372 6
- Can software startup claim VAT refund during development? 144 6
- Tax implications on building an 'office' 189 2
- VAT on employee loan 243 2
- VT Final Accounts puts "Cost of Sales - Carriage" and "Cost of Sales - Other Costs" into "Other Costs". Is that compulsory? It seems mad. 177 3
- Auto Enrolment, Payroll, Small Client Advice and what to charge? 699 18
- Partial PPR relief to non-resident after 05 Apr 2015 146 1
- Accounting Package for Projects 74 2
- Purchased Goodwill 107 1
- How do we get US withholding tax back? 94 1
- Are accountants keeping up with the pace of change? 203 4
- Recruitment agencies 584 1
- Do you charge fee or % for Successful appeal against HMRC penalties? 520 20
- Letting Agents - requirement for audit of clients accounts 268 9
- New Fangled Penalties 1,076
- Moving away from CCH software 929
- QROP pension input amounts 424
- write off loan or loan to equity swap or both 370
- HMRC BENCHMARK EXPENSES 337
- Unused Losses and Post Cessation Receipts 309
- fraud 262
- EIS relief on transferring shares to spouse 235
- Sole trade business in UK, but the owner works from EU 209
- Construction CIS LLP Company 189