Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Any Scottish members out there? 10,340 377
- Investor wants shares. How does that work? 127 4
- How can customer service quality vary between the basic pension firms? 75 1
- where has the honest passion to help gone..??? 1,249 24
- What is the role of an accountant? 485 14
- Why Shoebuy Coupon Shopping Made Easy With These Expert Tips? 263 7
- 100% Xero practice 2,276 42
- More stupid generic notices from HMRC on RTI 111 1
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 168 6
- VAT registration pre-incorporation- wait for TOGC or treat as sale? 107 1
- Scottish but not UK 318 9
- Pension Contributions Relief 287 10
- Should he transfer the Van into the company ? 124 1
- A question for the payroll-only bureau's out there 263 1
- P11D Query 152 4
- Out of Date Returns, CIS and Determination 92 3
- Shutting down a company with creditors 1,327 25
- Company Accounts 441 8
- QuickBooks - Separating expenses from purchases 104 2
- Lexis Nexis 3 Month Cancellation Notice 299 7
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,221
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 429
- National Insurance 331
- IPP (International Pension Plan) income 325
- Non Resident 254
- Unnecessary S9A Enquiries 250
- Cass 5 FCA Client Money Software recomendation 241
- Franchise income and costs 219
- Tax on interest received from insurance company 154
- Hands on experience of Digita 152