Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- FRS12 Redundancy and notice period provision 52 1
- Unfair charges for self assessment tax returns. Any recourse? 44 1
- 27,000 Really? 1,018 30
- This is getting boring 575 12
- Using profits from Ltd company as start up funds for new venture 228 7
- pension paid by company? 75 3
- inheritance tax 395 12
- pretty multi rainbow -coloured client spreadsheets 313 9
- Sage 50 re-key - VAT problem 212 4
- State pension 284 3
- Accountancy Career 99 1
- CIC Company 652 13
- Exactly which business miles can I claim from my employer? 1,810 22
- Can I take action against my accountant for incompetence? 3,270 66
- Deduction from Salary 638 15
- Bank account of a different company being used for transactions. 426 5
- Group Audit Thresholds 352 10
- One off meeting new client 1,684 16
- Legal title not in the company name 757 22
- Why would they want his purchase invoices?? 294 3
- Property exchange - 8-year legal delay following fall-out 639
- Cancelled 393
- SAGE Payroll Data for Import to MS Dynamics AX 353
- Cancelled 333
- Have you staged yet for auto enrolment? 306
- Probiz 301
- Free-standing washing machine - unfurnished lettings 277
- VAT on non-profit making clubs (ECJ VS West Dorset Golf Club) 258
- How not to compose an email 240
- Phishing emails purporting to be from CIPFA? 221