Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Journals to Creditors Control 46 2
- What sectors to target? 354 15
- Previous auditor threatening to sue our firm for unpaid fees 864 39
- The Copyright Licensing Agency 167 4
- Pounds Shillings and Pence 1,255 39
- 31 Jan Procrastination Question: Computer Monitors 448 16
- Companies House late filing penalties 3,138 105
- Refusing to complete a tax return 477 11
- Repayment of maternity pay 107 2
- US/UK Dual Citizenship 152 9
- Duplicate emails from AWeb 134 10
- Money laundering and can accountants be sued by clients if they make a report 853 16
- Self assesment online 568 7
- Dissolved company with o/s corporation tax 247 6
- Practice management 250 4
- Teacher doing marking - tax deducted 463 6
- More NI or same 146 1
- Simplified use of home - contradiction 268 4
- maternity allowance for self employed individual 177 1
- Year end 134 1
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 911
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 627
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 587
- Latest phishing scam 555
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 384
- Auto Enrolment Questions Answered 288
- Loan benefit after person ceases as director/employee 211
- Capital allowances in first basis period 198
- Scratch Head 196
- Sabbatical payments 184