Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Do you use commercial software for Self Assessment tax returns? 816 24
- Charity Account-independent examiner 134 2
- Share valuation upon death of shareholder 85 2
- Pension contributions and childcare vouchers 147 4
- Is renting a house deductable 146 5
- Bank account frozen 60 1
- Best way to convert Sage data to VT Transaction+ 230 2
- Writing Website Content 598 22
- VAT on Second Hand Touring Caravans 154 4
- Badges of trade 326 6
- Can HMRC charge penalties now for a tax return due for 2005? 240 4
- CT61 Interest - Is it voluntary? 79 2
- owner paying for purchases and other expenses from personal account 126 3
- AIA 335 5
- Seeking advice: Charging VAT on commission on my commission! 277 8
- CT600 X ERROR in relation to Tangible Assets 195 9
- Capital Goods Scheme 211 7
- Only pref shares. Does it matter 316 7
- Copies of every transaction can't be OK!! 2,723 14
- The Pensions Regulator 355 9
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 445
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 414
- Electric Car 352
- S222 Charge 280
- Corporation tax penalties and fines on the CT600 259
- IP trans to holding company 217
- Payroll Manager - tax code for starter declaration 'C' 194
- Car used both in a partnership and sole trader business - how to claim capital allowances? 189
- Career advice needed regarding accouting systems analysis 160
- Simple Partnership Agreement Template 154