Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Finding a Company UTR for a newly formed company 118 1
- Recomendations for a purchase order management book please? 121 1
- Instant CPD offer 281 4
- Cash basis 515 13
- Income from rent charged to business 123 2
- payroll software 366 3
- CIMA accountant wants to start consultancy 440 5
- Statutory sick pay 308 4
- Dividend in specie 368 9
- Complicated Company car purchase 220 2
- Ltd Company Buying Own Shares and Transferring Assets 175 3
- Retail vat schemes for a restaurant 145 1
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 273 1
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 294 1
- Ownership of land - declaration of trust 168 3
- Fee base v staff ratio 385 6
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,857 27
- Statutory Accounts - Dividends Disclosure Note 334 3
- Unincorporated organistion ceasing to exist 258 2
- Gift in kind to charity by company: services 109 1
- Skandia using wrong address 574
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 306
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 306
- Employee rewards 289
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 254
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 228
- Etax Australian 187
- LLP in Construction Industry 155
- Selling On Amazon & Calculatign Prices/Vat 132
- Interest and late payment charges HMRC 131