Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Scanners 136 3
- Payment plans for clients 38 2
- General rule: Evidence that the customer is in business 206 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 190 7
- ethical- to continue to act or not? 64 1
- Are any of you agents for doctors? 377 2
- Should I move back home away from my office? 423 9
- P60 or payslips? 52 1
- Property income in different capacities 81 1
- IHT dilemma 1,369 21
- Warning for freeagent accountants using payroll import 175 1
- IT advisory questions? 158 5
- Entrepreneurs Relief 789 44
- Has anyone else come across VAT account suspensions? 115 1
- Ceasing in membership of ATT 511 7
- Director Personal Bank Account in company's books 457 8
- Sage payroll alternatives 625 12
- More AE! 647 14
- Moneysoft and People's Pension 137 4
- PAYE 1,643 17
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,152
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 794
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 482
- Digita Hosted Software 316
- Credit where credit's due....... 265
- Director phone costs 225
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 224
- What to say to Tom, Dick and Harry... 183
- Flat rate VAT- other income calculation 147
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 132