Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Personal Allowance for non residents 329 9
- Dormant company or not? 275 13
- VAT: option to tax 75 1
- VAT - Land Related Services 77 1
- Vat 17 1
- Best form of debt recovery 132 3
- Backdating VAT claim 13 1
- WIP recognition for builders 362 8
- Do I need to keep subscribing to CIMA post qualification? 263 15
- Share Valuation 26 1
- SA online - 4 hour limit 1,044 9
- BTL property solely in wife's name - can she split rental income with husband? 141 5
- Prior Year Adjustments 80 2
- Share Issue 204 1
- Payment of Capital from and LLP and Corporate member 138 11
- Client avoiding UK Tax. 742 23
- PAYE/NI due date? 139 2
- repairs and/or improvements 103 2
- To Do List 1,517 31
- Farm Partnership 89 1
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 654
- Property let at a reduced rate - losses brought forward 515
- Auto enrolment excuses 459
- Removed post 368
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 343
- Social investment tax relief 159
- Call Centre Data Costs 152
- Patent Box and worldwide patents 152
- Digita Hosted Software 138
- Unemployed Accounting Graduate - Need Advice - Small Firms 129