Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Any Need to Formally "Sack" Client Company? 86 2
- Which address 217 9
- PAYE Refund Farce At HMRC 502 7
- Night out allowance 175 1
- Paying Personal Allowance in one go 66 1
- Directors/owners taking too much cash... 1,083 15
- Spanish Tax Return 122 5
- Accounts/CT600 Filing HMRC & Companies House 49 1
- Missing accountant! 776 4
- Property Development 354 8
- Invoicing clients System? 287 6
- VAT on land sale 206 7
- Loss on cessation of sole trade 214 5
- Free Agent - Payments on Account 406 11
- MAAT vs ACCA 2,125 39
- Director self assessment 267 15
- Directors and unemployment benefit 210 10
- Sale of overseas home on return to UK 114 2
- Donaldson v HMRC - result?? 479 6
- Supply to Irish State Body 244 3
- DTR : TIOPA 2010 Section 42 410
- CTA study material 368
- Sect 102 TMA 1970 274
- Sage Forecasting - Print filename 253
- new capital structure ltd with investors 207
- Relief on French Tax Deposit? 204
- Pre incorp expenses 204
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 185
- Slight twist on employment related securities 175
- Accommodation provided to employees for short term contract away from home 160