Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Accountancy practices - are you closed over Christmas or do you let your staff take it off? 950 29
- You know its over 335 4
- HMRC BACK AND FORTH FIGHT ON BTL PROPERTY ALLOWANCES 487 9
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 220 13
- Valuing my fast-growing internet business for transfer of goodwill on incorporation 172 2
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 159 2
- What is the amount of dividends received as a shareholder that requires registration for self assessment? 246 3
- Cocaine anyone? 510 8
- Late Registration for VAT 487 13
- EIS/SEIS 143 1
- Amortisation of Goodwill 276 1
- TaxCalc Accounts production 417 5
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 423 12
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 718 10
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 554 10
- ACCA - still making me laugh 590 4
- Personal pension 402 9
- Legal Aid Agency claims and VAT 222 1
- How much of your work is admin? 1,219 11
- Petrol expenses for self-employed 175 3
- Hive up 491
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 458
- corporate hierarchy 438
- Advice - 272
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 226
- WWOOFers 218
- Co. limited by Guarantee now closed 207
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 200
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 181
- Mutual Trading - Exempt CT Income - Do I need clearance? 175