Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- deductions for OMB companies 176 3
- Fee protection 130 3
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 142 4
- LLP classification of division of profit 120 3
- Ltd company or sole trader 100 2
- Insolvent Liquidation 108 1
- insolvency ip control 156 1
- I know this has been done to death but IRIS / DIGITA / CCH??? 310 3
- Free Agent data? 110 1
- Generic PAYE notices 108 1
- Capital Allowances on Furnished Holiday Lets Business 132 3
- Mature student with NO GCSEs or A levels but with very solid 2:1 degree, needs help? 521 9
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 545 12
- What tax rules apply to oversea representative office employees in UK? 80 1
- UK company avoiding tax 201 2
- Finland 83 1
- With or without a practicing certificate 969 20
- Is HMRC iXBRL filing only available for small audit exempt companies 175 4
- What do you class as Research and Development for R&D Tax Relief 506 8
- Looking for free PDF creator 1,204 40
- Xtuple 480
- Qtac payroll for bureau 323
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 270
- Industrial & Provident Societies 260
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 201
- Mehjoo 198
- Changes in NHS pensions 166
- VAT on commission from Oyster card top up, lottery & paypoint 165
- New strategic report 159
- South African Government Pension 138