Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- PAYE & NIC 114 10
- What does PITA mean? 795 18
- proposed dividends 674 23
- Business loan not in client's name 94 1
- Car fuel benefit - changing basis 160 2
- VAT on Exhibition services 140 4
- Company Payroll 144 2
- Interim dividends 174 5
- Dates, more dates and cessation 103 2
- Any printer recommendations? 186 6
- Out of date tax returns 265 2
- Corporation Tax disallowed entertaining 178 3
- How do I tackle fraudulent use of a clients SA tax return? 1,074 6
- Filling in my self assessment 982 17
- ACCA CPD verifiable units 173 2
- Any chance of winning an Appeal with HRMC for late self assessment charges 347 7
- Deductible or not ? Working out of hotels /coffee shops 456 6
- FPS responses ... 525 16
- Nominal Codes 286 9
- Charging VAT to a Swedish Company 222 7
- Sanzar 499
- Digital marketing focus group 399
- Sage troubleshooting for employee who has previously claimed SMP 379
- Sainsbury's mangement 332
- Are commercial mortgage cashbacks subject to Corporation Tax ? 330
- Continuity Agreement 326
- Avanti Accounts 323
- Buyback 286
- Entrepreneurs' relief (ER) for EMI shares 233
- Aggresive sales from Iris 204