Write off of initial franchise fee before period ends as no ongoing value, can losses created be used against future trading?
My client bought a 5 yr training franchise, with upfront payment, which we were writing off over the 5 yr period of the franchise. My client operates as a limited company 'x' ltd trading as 'y' franchise.
After 18 months he was getting no income or business via the 'y' franchise and has written to the franchisor saying that he wishes no longer to use the franchise name. The client is trying to get similar work though his own name and contacts but no longer wants to be tied into paying the franchisor the monthly %age of all income when it is not derived through the franchise.
A verbal agreement has been made with the franchisor that my client can cease to operate under the name, but there is no real prospect of my client getting any of his initial investment back.
I therefore wish to write off the remaining franchise value at the end of the 2nd yr as its UEL is now over. This will create a fairly large loss. (There are already losses brought forward but there are no creditors except for a directors loan so I am not too worried about the trading insolvently aspect.)
Can the loss created be carried forward against future training profits even though they will have nothing to do with the original cost that we are writing off? I would assume it can as it is part of the same trade but would be grateful for confirmation.
- Business travel apps 191 4
- Clarify the tax position 106 2
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 354 5
- Free Tax Legislation? 421 1
- VAT BOX 6 & 7 errors 204 7
- Tax implications of soletrader gifting money 30 2
- Non-Resident Director - UK Tax Position? 374 3
- Director Loan account operation 417 1
- Foreign national, UK resident 132 1
- Director leaving in month 1 254 5
- Secondment expenses 194 6
- Basic RTI - how to re-enter lost data? 87 2
- Accountancy software for an imac 332 7
- Strategic Report 83 1
- Cable’s crackdown on bonuses – empty words? 169 2
- Excel problem - pivot tables and multiple data sources 141 3
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,386 22
- VAT Option to tax 512 18
- Flat rate scheme - which rate to use? 141 1
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 255 6
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 918
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 646
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 357
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 324
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 233
- Paye procedures for CVA 225
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 200
- Pension Fixed Protection 164
- Compliance Checks - Time limits 160
- Expenses Re-imbursed on the VAT Flat Rate Scheme 158