Jailed accountant gives tax seminar to inmates

A former chartered accountant who was jailed for a £60,000 fraud is helping inmates get tax rebates of up to £1,000.

AccountingWEB reported last October that Paul Retout, the former chief executive of Wrexham FC, was jailed for 16 months after submitting false invoices to London-based Quadrangle group where he was a partner, media reported at the time.

Continued...

» Register now

The full article is available to registered AccountingWEB members only. To read the rest of this article you’ll need to login or register.

Registration is FREE and allows you to view all content, ask questions, comment and much more.

Comments

Shawshank Redemption!

rigsby | | Permalink

I thought the Accountants name was Andy Dufresene

Maybe they should make a film about it- oops already been done.

BKD's picture

A word of caution    1 thanks

BKD | | Permalink

This thread is based on a report in the Daily Fail. Excuse me while I fill my bucket with salt.

BTW - sp ...

ShirleyM's picture

Families on benefits?

ShirleyM | | Permalink

He gets free board & lodging and his family get benefits. The other inmates get a free education and lots of free time to study. No University fees either.

Why is that criminals get better education and even one-to-one 24 hr nursing when necessary (to stop them from starving themselves to death), whereas law abiding people can starve for all the government cares.

Even violent offenders get the comparative freedom of open prisons, and then go walkies!

Shawshank    1 thanks

thomas34 | | Permalink

Would you care to name the other two so that we can check out your assertions?

 

BKD's picture

Only two others?

BKD | | Permalink

thomas34 wrote:

Would you care to name the other two so that we can check out your assertions?

 

I'm sure that if you asked nicely, he could provide you with at least two hundred of his aliases.

.    4 thanks

ireallyshouldkn... | | Permalink

Shouldn't the subheadline read

"Accountant helps inmates with skills for leaving jail"

Lets face it with jail time behind you one of the only options you have coming out is to start your own business as it will be very hard to get a job for most people. 

 

 

thankfully    3 thanks

justsotax | | Permalink

he was chartered....imagine the fuss if he was only QBE....

sort of    1 thanks

ireallyshouldkn... | | Permalink

@justsotax,

He is NOW QBE, he was chartered.  

and

The Black Knight | | Permalink

Interesting money laundering issue.

So you are giving advice (holding a seminar? mmm) to known criminals without checking their identities.

I think you could do more than advise on a wasted personal allowance. Fraudsters are often allowed to commit further fraud while still inside.

Mind you the government probably think they are growing the economy by getting more fraud onto vat returns. Or at least that's what it shows.

criminal not an accountant

The Black Knight | | Permalink

justsotax wrote:

he was chartered....imagine the fuss if he was only QBE....

NB the chartered badge did not afford him any protection did it?

he's a former Chartered Accountant now just a criminal.

 

OGA...you are correct

justsotax | | Permalink

I guess he was only chartered when he carried out the crime.

Families on benefits    2 thanks

ken of chesterl... | | Permalink

 

This is  is a non-sequiter. Someone is paying a penalty that a judge decided, rightly or wrongly, was condign. A tax repayment is a debt owed to the prisoner, and should be paid to him., nothing to do with his offence. There are a lot  of taxpayers not getting their balance of allowances, sometimes because their earning capability was precipitately stopped,  sometimes because they died part way through the tax year and their personal representatives didn't know they  had overpaid tax on occupational pensions. This is an injustice, in the latter instance, an injustice to widows.

  I wonder whether imprisonment counts as reasonable excuse for failure to file a return. Especially with an  accountant in the next cell?

Families on benefits    2 thanks

ken of chesterl... | | Permalink

 

This is  is a non-sequiter. Someone is paying a penalty that a judge decided, rightly or wrongly, was condign. A tax repayment is a debt owed to the prisoner, and should be paid to him., nothing to do with his offence. There are a lot  of taxpayers not getting their balance of allowances, sometimes because their earning capability was precipitately stopped,  sometimes because they died part way through the tax year and their personal representatives didn't know they  had overpaid tax on occupational pensions. This is an injustice, in the latter instance, an injustice to widows.

  I wonder whether imprisonment counts as reasonable excuse for failure to file a return. Especially with an  accountant in the next cell?.

This was a reply to Shiurley M, of 01/06/14   , but got separated from other benefits.  I have quoted it above.

 

For the record, I believe the Goverments attitude to benefits is apalling.  This does not affect the fact that a taxpayer's repayment is the porperty of  the taxpayer. Befoe the days of self-assessment and oindependant taxation, I was asked to get a repayment for an ex-prisoner, whose crime had been despicable. But he had paid for it, and so had his family, who needed the money.  

Don't bother publishing this    1 thanks

ken of chesterl... | | Permalink

Don't bother publishing this comemnt, I just forgot to press the daily digest button on the last one!

Retired People into the Prisons

vinylnobbynobbs | | Permalink

ShirleyM wrote:

He gets free board & lodging and his family get benefits. The other inmates get a free education and lots of free time to study. No University fees either.

Why is that criminals get better education and even one-to-one 24 hr nursing when necessary (to stop them from starving themselves to death), whereas law abiding people can starve for all the government cares.

Even violent offenders get the comparative freedom of open prisons, and then go walkies!

 

Prisoners into the "Care Homes"?

makes sense

The Black Knight | | Permalink

vinylnobbynobbs wrote:

ShirleyM wrote:

He gets free board & lodging and his family get benefits. The other inmates get a free education and lots of free time to study. No University fees either.

Why is that criminals get better education and even one-to-one 24 hr nursing when necessary (to stop them from starving themselves to death), whereas law abiding people can starve for all the government cares.

Even violent offenders get the comparative freedom of open prisons, and then go walkies!

 

Prisoners into the "Care Homes"?

Makes sense. Tramps used to break a window to get a warm cell for the night.

Just an extension of that clever thinking.

Chartered

hiu612 | | Permalink

The way the institute carry on, the suspension from membership was probably shorter than the prison sentence. He may well be able to re-apply for membership whilst still in there.

Chartered

hiu612 | | Permalink

The way the institute carry on, the suspension from membership was probably shorter than the prison sentence. He may well be able to re-apply for membership whilst still in there.