Record number file tax returns on time

HMRC reported a record-breaking self assessment season in 2014, with more than 93% of filers meeting both the online and paper deadlines.

More than 10.03 million returns were received by midnight on 31 January, compared to 9.61 million in 2012/13, and the Revenue received its highest ever number of online returns.

Deadline day between 4-5pm was the busiest period for filers, with more than 45,000 returns being processed in that hour, and half a million during the entire day.

Despite the highest ever number of on-time filers, the tax season was not without glitches.

Citibank, the Revenue's bank, experienced issues on...

Continued...

» Register now

The full article is available to registered AccountingWEB members only. To read the rest of this article you’ll need to login or register.

Registration is FREE and allows you to view all content, ask questions, comment and much more.

Comments
JCresswellTax's picture

This 15 day extension really bothers me!    2 thanks

JCresswellTax | | Permalink

Its like taxpayers are being rewarded for registering late!

While all my clients are expected to file by 31st January as they are using my third party software!

Load of rubbish!

What about

LittleWhiteBull | | Permalink

JCresswellTax wrote:

Its like taxpayers are being rewarded for registering late!

Load of rubbish!

JCresswellTax's picture

What about nothing

JCresswellTax | | Permalink

LittleWhiteBull wrote:

JCresswellTax wrote:

Its like taxpayers are being rewarded for registering late!

Load of rubbish!

Could they not have moved agents in the previous ten months?

There is no excuse for leaving it until the last minute to register for online services.

Kent accountant's picture

Iris to HMRC?    2 thanks

Kent accountant | | Permalink

"What about clients that have moved agents or with our practice we have had to change to HMRC site as we no longer can afford IRIS?"

Blimey from the sublime to the ridiculous?!

Why didn't you consider the middle ground - Taxcalc, BTC, Ftax, and so on...?

Shorty's picture

2pm Cut Off

Shorty | | Permalink

Just finding out that HMRC not recognising any Returns submitted after 2pm on Friday.

Spoke to dedicated line who state that it could take up to 7 days for them to register receipt because the 31st was a 'busy day'.  We have a valid receipt via software so covered there, but it's all a pain in the proverbial!

Anyone else suffered this issue?

Red Leader's picture

percentage

Red Leader | | Permalink

Interesting to see that the percentage of returns filed by 31 Jan at about 93% is very similar to the percentage for my clients.

I hasten to add that the recalcitrant minority of my clients who didn't get their returns filed was because they simply hadn't (and still haven't) sent me their info.

stepurhan's picture

Odd decision    1 thanks

stepurhan | | Permalink

LittleWhiteBull wrote:
Changing agents close to the tax return deadline is an odd thing to do, but any agent with commercial software can file using the UTR, even if they don't have a 64-8 in place. An agent switching from a system that enables to them to file without a 64-8 to one that doesn't so close to the tax return deadline is utter madness.

EDIT : @JCresswellTax. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks a change in the deadline only for some is just plain wrong.

No money for investment

LittleWhiteBull | | Permalink

Kent accountant wrote:

Blimey from the sublime to the ridiculous?!

Why didn't you consider the middle ground - Taxcalc, BTC, Ftax, and so on...?

No money for investment, after all why should I claim benefits to live so the software providers have the good life?

stepurhan's picture

Living the good life?    2 thanks

stepurhan | | Permalink

The basic agent package for Ftax is £50 + VAT. Hardly a price that is going to break the bank, or allow the programmers of Ftax to live the high life is it?

Many thanks

LittleWhiteBull | | Permalink

stepurhan wrote:

Many thanks I didn't think there was anything that cheap on the market. What do you get for that price? How many clients does it accept? Does it include all self assessment pages incl. CGT and Partnerships?

Research    2 thanks

Sheepy306 | | Permalink

As suggested, have a look at FTax, (www.ftax.co.uk) and you can choose the package that suits your clients/budget accordingly.

Before I properly set up on my own I did a few accounts/tax returns for friends and family in my spare time, FTax seemed the obvious choice as it was very cheap and simple, I used them for about 2 years.

I did have issues with data corruption and unfortunately their technical support was absolutely appalling at the time, however if I had to I would go back to them again knowing that sometimes in life you only get what you pay for.

Not sure how much you were paying for Iris (it's a great package but as Kent points out, it's premium software) but I now pay about £750 per annum for BTC full package including practice management, and then another £150 for VT and £112 for Moneysoft payroll. Basically, everything all in for £1,000 + VAT. With BTC you can monthly too so which can be important if finances are tight.