Yorkshire accountant gets 14-year ban

The Insolvency Service has banned convicted accountant Darren Upton from acting as a company director until 2027 following a lengthy investigation.

Upton, the jailed director of an accountancy practice based in Wakefield, did not dispute that he obtained £196,145 from clients by providing them with false bank account details into which they made payments due for corporation tax.

The Insolvency Service said Upton

Continued...

» Register now

The full article is available to registered AccountingWEB members only. To read the rest of this article you’ll need to login or register.

Registration is FREE and allows you to view all content, ask questions, comment and much more.

Comments
Moonbeam's picture

Eventually?    1 thanks

Moonbeam | | Permalink

How could staff at this firm not think something was seriously wrong?

pembo's picture

Agree

pembo | | Permalink

The "eventually" bit seems to sail very close to breach of obligations under MLR by his staff. Be interested to hear Mr Winchs view.

Nick Graves's picture

Occam's razor

Nick Graves | | Permalink

...suggests he probably hid his track well, rather than the wage slaves being jobsworths.

Nevertheless, his abusing a position of trust like that is absolutely disgusting. 

 

 

 

 

 

pembo's picture

poor victoria

pembo | | Permalink

sob story

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099955/Victoria-Fraenzels-internet-lover-accountant-turned-fraudster-married-daughter.html 

Not exactly Brad Pitt is he and sure Vicky could have done better for herself. Another seduced by the dark side of the force of loads of dosh...

All about the money

The Black Knight | | Permalink

pembo wrote:

sob story

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2099955/Victoria-Fraenzels-internet-lover-accountant-turned-fraudster-married-daughter.html 

Not exactly Brad Pitt is he and sure Vicky could have done better for herself. Another seduced by the dark side of the force of loads of dosh...

It's all about the money!

I love the way she only dates millionaires. But it's never about the money.

Why didn't he go for something younger and prettier? after all if you have the money.

Why haven't they gone after her as well as she was the beneficiary.

Still he will have to use a different name with companies house when he comes out.

This really is a stupid sanction! Surely convicted criminals that receive a sentence of more than 1 year should be automatically banned from abusing limited companies status in future or kept under close supervision.

pembo's picture

sounds

pembo | | Permalink

like the poor lamb spent it all !

Until they get real about these jokers and ban them for life with tough criminal sanctions should they do the usual thing of using a mate or relative  to front their next stab at it this is going to go on and on.

stupid thing is    1 thanks

The Black Knight | | Permalink

Stupid thing is if he had been a better liar he didn't need the money.

My mate discovered he could always pull by dropping into the conversation he had a hundred grand in the bank.

When "I said but you haven't anymore though" he said "No I just lie now, still works the same"

No problem, he was    1 thanks

Apple100 | | Permalink

He was recommended to me, never had any problems tbh he had a few staff.

Thank you

The Black Knight | | Permalink

Apple100 wrote:
He was recommended to me, never had any problems tbh he had a few staff.

Thank you

I like to try and understand from your side of the fence.

Makes my blood boil when people are mislead and provided poor service from what purports to be from my profession.

Because the public often doesn't understand the difference between complete charlatan and a highly trained professional we all end up being tarred with the same brush.

At least you have some form of redress and protection if you look out for and check the validity of the chartered badge.

TURNED DOWN FOR A JOB AT UPTON & CO

scholeyj | | Permalink

  

  I was turned down for a job at Upton & Co a couple of years ago.  Thank god for that.

The testimonial on the Fredom

Supertorben | | Permalink

The testimonial on the Fredom Accountancy website is a classic - well worth a read.

hilarious

The Black Knight | | Permalink

Supertorben wrote:

The testimonial on the Fredom Accountancy website is a classic - well worth a read.

Hilarious.

 

ccassociates's picture

Bogus accountants    1 thanks

ccassociates | | Permalink

Supertorben wrote:

On more than one occasion I've "lost" a client to a "firm" of non-qualifieds because they didn't like the amount of their tax liability.

This sounds familiar I lost a client last year after I had prepared her accounts and tax returns and she had a tax liability of around £3500 plus class 4 NI. which was consistent with her drawings of around £350 per week. I got an "exchange letter " from an unqualified which also asked me not to submit the tax return.

Some months later I noticed that she was still on my client list on HMRC website and that the tax return had been submitted. Tax due NIL when I looked at the return the Staff Wages, (there were no staff,) were shown as £18200, the exact amount of the drawings everything else was identical to my accounts.

How come HMRC dont question this, there was no P35 and no payroll set up. As long as HMRC do not catch these charlatans they will continue to vie their trade.  

did you claim an exemption from investigation    1 thanks

The Black Knight | | Permalink

ccassociates wrote:

Supertorben wrote:

On more than one occasion I've "lost" a client to a "firm" of non-qualifieds because they didn't like the amount of their tax liability.

This sounds familiar I lost a client last year after I had prepared her accounts and tax returns and she had a tax liability of around £3500 plus class 4 NI. which was consistent with her drawings of around £350 per week. I got an "exchange letter " from an unqualified which also asked me not to submit the tax return.

Some months later I noticed that she was still on my client list on HMRC website and that the tax return had been submitted. Tax due NIL when I looked at the return the Staff Wages, (there were no staff,) were shown as £18200, the exact amount of the drawings everything else was identical to my accounts.

How come HMRC dont question this, there was no P35 and no payroll set up. As long as HMRC do not catch these charlatans they will continue to vie their trade.  

Did you claim an exemption from investigation for them by making a money laundering report?

Don't answer that otherwise you will be publicly flogged, beaten and thrown in jail for upsetting their criminal network.

What wasted lives we have.

Willing to bet she was a

Supertorben | | Permalink

Willing to bet she was a "retired" teacher. Did you also have the laborious task of having to explain at length

Mallalieu V Drummond - the only case I'm familiar with and the one I fully understand.  Gosh, it's hard work

having clients like that.

chartered or chartered certified ?

Supertorben | | Permalink

I have looked on duedil and seen Darren Upton described as "Director, Chartered Accountant" and also "Company Secretary, Chartered Accountant" in several companies where he had an involvement. Makes one wonder why one bothers spending, in my case, 4 years of one's life to gain the esteemed ACA qualification and the invaluable support throughout one's professional working life from the ICAEW.!

Not sure he was full member of anything

The Black Knight | | Permalink

Not sure he was a member of anything, both the ACCA and ICAEW are slow to take action against students or charlatans using the badges.

Students are students and members are members you cannot become a member unless you have passes your exams and done the practical experience too. (qualified by exams, hard work and verified experience). This is often misunderstood in the ensuing arguments and reporting from those that don't understand the points.

Then you have to do some more to get a practising certificate.

I doubt if companies house will check whether he resigns as a director or even care unless someone important complains, he could equally use a completely false name instead.

I expect Duedil is not reliable or up to date. Otherwise he can list that to his offences.

Top Man?    1 thanks

I'msorryIhaven'... | | Permalink

http://www.accaglobal.com/content/dam/acca/global/PDF-students/2012b/upt...

According to the ACCA's release on the link above, the errant Mr Upton was a member of the ACCA (I feel fairly sure they would have stated "student member" had that been the case).

Thank you

The Black Knight | | Permalink

I'msorryIhaven'taclue wrote:

http://www.accaglobal.com/content/dam/acca/global/PDF-students/2012b/upt...

According to the ACCA's release on the link above, the errant Mr Upton was a member of the ACCA (I feel fairly sure they would have stated "student member" had that been the case).

Still trading as the same name then? No shame then either? They were just unlucky to get caught?

back in a mo.

back

 

Freedom accountants ltd never filed a set of accounts. s993 as well then? Was dissolved not liquidated as presumably HMRC were not interested which has allowed the phoenix (contrary to the intentions but not the application of s216 IA1986) Freedom accountancy ltd + sister bookkeeping firm. Vat artificial split?

LOL

The Black Knight | | Permalink

Ken Howard wrote:

Regardless of whether Freedom have an AAT practising certificate, some of their "members in practice" are frightening in their lack of accounting/tax knowledge if their forum is anything to go by.  Some of the questions asked by their members who are charging for their "skills" show a very worrying lack of knowledge.

http://forums.aat.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?72-Members-in-Practice

It's ten times worse than accounting web.

I bet they copy and paste the advice and give that to their client. Seen that done before as well.

You can get any answer you want on the internet.

 

ccassociates's picture

AAT    2 thanks

ccassociates | | Permalink

Ken Howard wrote:

Regardless of whether Freedom have an AAT practising certificate, some of their "members in practice" are frightening in their lack of accounting/tax knowledge if their forum is anything to go by.  Some of the questions asked by their members who are charging for their "skills" show a very worrying lack of knowledge.

http://forums.aat.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?72-Members-in-Practice

I am an MIP and an FMAAT and former Revenue

AAT have a system of licencing members to practice in different areas of expertise not a "blanket licence" so one could be licenced for bookkeeping but not for accounts or tax. AAT operate a strict CPD programme and require evidence at licence renewal, which is annual.  Your comments are ill thought, dont tar us all with the same brush.

The three worst accountants I ever worked with were FCA, one was struck off for mortgage fraud one had his audit licence removed for inability, he bought his CPD annually and never opened it, still practicing as FCA. The other  practices as an FCA even though they have a failed CVA on crown debt and face personal bankruptcy. I dont consider ICAEW to be "frightening " because of these members

There are very good and very bad in each association

Nick Graves's picture

I like Chorizo and Also Eat Wurst.

Nick Graves | | Permalink

I'm gonna form a club for the like-minded.

Anyone else wanna join? You can display my red shield with sausage device on your stationery with the proud ICAEW abbreviation beneath.

Talk about promotion to level of maximum incompetence! Nincompoops indeed.

 

 

johnjenkins's picture

As long as it's

johnjenkins | | Permalink

bockwurst not bratwurst I'm in.

jennyhowell's picture

Comments moderated

jennyhowell | | Permalink

Hi all

Henry's not here today but we've had to moderate some of the comments on this thread having spoken directly with Freedom Accountancy Ltd.

Commenting is also now closed on this article.

Many thanks

Jenny