AccountingWEB members have warned about scam self assessment submission emails being sent following the submission of tax returns.
It’s the first week of 2014 and the countdown has already started to one of the most important dates in the history of the Revenue, and anything that affects HMRC
their back again - just received a spam e-mail purporting to be a HMRC VAT submission - so watch out.
The Revenue has launched a new online service for overseas scheme managers
Clients may often give their accountants wild excuses for handing in records late, but it appears some also take a similar tack with the Revenue.
A Bradford accountant and former city councillor who stole more than £100,000 in income tax and VAT has been jailed for two years.
MP Margaret Hodge and her Commons public accounts committee signed off for the Christmas break with a new report taking HMRC to task for its inability to close the £35bn+ tax gap.
The HMRC guidance on this appears to contradict itself.
A Tribunal has shed light on a more aggressive approach being adopted by HMRC.
- ICAS: HMRC record checks are “flawed” 198,374 18
- Reasonable Excuse scorecard 2011: Taxpayers 20 HMRC 12 43,687 17
- HMRC ‘reasonable excuse’ definition under fire 26,562 22
- HMRC helplines begin move to 03 numbers 24,748 19
- Struck-off companies dodge £16bn a year 24,567 59