In January 2011 I submitted a tax return for a new client. He was due a refund of under £100. I requested it online a few times but it was never sent.
The Court of Appeal has backed the taxman in a ruling that Axa Denplan’s payment system for a dental care scheme was ‘debt collection’ and should therefore be subject to VAT.
The taxman has extended a trial scheme to resolve disputes with small and medium-sized enterprises more quickly and cheaply, reports Nick Huber.
A new “amnesty” facility by HMRC to tackle suspected tax fraud using civil powers has been welcomed by the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT).
HMRC has identified over £9m owed in undeclared tax as a result of its fast food outlet crackdown in London and revealed big business involvement.
Tax officials are entitled to investigate a tax return after the usual one-year limit has passed if their discovery assessment letter meets one of two tests, according to a recent Court of Appe
- ICAS: HMRC record checks are “flawed” 241,249 18
- Reasonable Excuse scorecard 2011: Taxpayers 20 HMRC 12 52,988 17
- HMRC helplines begin move to 03 numbers 44,232 19
- HMRC ‘reasonable excuse’ definition under fire 31,124 22
- Struck-off companies dodge £16bn a year 28,230 59