Tax officials have warned a committee of senior MPs to expect an upsurge in avoidance and a widening tax gap if planned cuts to tax collection budgets go ahead.
The government this week back-tracked on its stance over PAYE underpayments when Treasury Exchequer secretary David Gauke confirmed that HMRC would apply Extra Statutory Concession A19 to pensioner
HMRC is planning a programme of Business Record Checks into the records kept by SMEs and has issued a consultation document.
HMRC is planning a programme to investigate 50,000 small and medium sized businesses this year for failing to keep proper records and for underpaying tax.
As part of its marketing push for Self Assessment season, HMRC has become active on Twitter as @hmrcgovuk.
HMRC managed raise £8.5bn from investigating serious tax evasion cases, according to a new report by the National Audit Office.
HMRC has withdrawn VAT concessions for caravan owners and boat builders because they don’t comply with EU law.
Just got off the phone with HMRC and I'm left feeling slightly puzzled.
- ICAS: HMRC record checks are “flawed” 190,018 18
- Reasonable Excuse scorecard 2011: Taxpayers 20 HMRC 12 41,444 17
- HMRC ‘reasonable excuse’ definition under fire 25,739 22
- HMRC loses husband-and-wife settlements case 23,911 18
- Struck-off companies dodge £16bn a year 23,814 59