When a sub-contractor works pre-CIS registration. | AccountingWEB

When a sub-contractor works pre-CIS registration.

What happens if a subbie works pre CIS registration?

Should the contractor still deduct CIS?

Does HMRC still expect the CIS process to be followed?

johnjenkins's picture

The answer is simple

johnjenkins | | Permalink

The contractor has to get every subbie that works for them "verified". So if the subbie isn't registered it is highly likely that 30% will be deducted. What can happen is that the contractor won't pay the subbie until they have registered thereby allowing 20% deduction (30% in some cases).

jimeth's picture

Agreed - but need to clarify the question.

jimeth | | Permalink

The Contractor has to verify every subcontractor.  If the subcontractor has not registered for CIS then it will come back with a 30% rate.  This is used until the subcontractor is properly registered and HMRC advise to pay at 20% or Gross.  Or if the subcontractor tells you they have now registered you can verify again and use whatever rate comes back then.

Or, if you mean that the subcontractor is working before the contractor has registered for CIS then the contractor needs to register asap to avoid penalties.  An unregistered contractor cannot verify subcontractors or deduct tax - so needs to register before the first payments to the subcontractor are due.

johnjenkins's picture

We've had

johnjenkins | | Permalink

a few problems with contractors who only do domestics. They don't think they have to register because they are being paid "gross" so therefore they follow on that their subbie doesn't need to register and they pay them "gross". The only way to avoid all the penalties in that situation is to get the client to pay both the contractor and the subbie direct so in effect they are both contractors.

We have had major problems in the past where clients who are not mormally involved in the building industry (landscape gardeners) suddenly find themselves having to register as a contractor and a subbie and some of their subbies having to also register.


ryanseligmann | | Permalink

Sorry, a little confused, what would you need to do if you carry out works for say £500k.

I thought you only need to register if total spend is over £1m and £3m over 3 years??




jimeth's picture

Thresholds only apply to 'Deemed Contractors'

jimeth | | Permalink

The thresholds only apply to those outside the construction industry (such as supermarkets) who pay for construction work.  If your business is within the scope of the construction industry then there is no threshold at all - however small the amounts involved, CIS applies.

Add comment
Log in or register to post comments
Group: Construction industry accountants
The place to discuss accounting and tax issues specific to the construction industry, including CIS tax, VAT self billing and authenticated receipts.