Do all assignments fall within AML regs?
I have been approached by a small retail business (sole trader) which started from scratch a year ago and after trading for ten months was locked out of their premises by the landlord. Without going into details, the owner's solicitors threatened action against the landlord and he allowed access again after six weeks. During that time the landlord started removing fixtures and fittings and in all it is expected that the business will have been closed for three months when it re-opens. A claim for damages, including loss of profits, has been filed with a hearing due in mid January. The owner's accountants have produced accounts for the period of trading but when asked to produce a profit forecast, on which to base the loss of profits claim, say they are really too busy to be able to do it in the required timescale.
What I have been asked to do is to create a profit forecast in Excel using the figures from the accounts already prepared together with data from the EPOS system to give the daily/weekly takings analysis. The Excel file will have all data/assumptions tabulated so that the business owner can make adjustments as he sees fit.
My question is, does this small piece of work fall under the AML regulations?
The reason I pose it is because it appears to me that there are two areas of concern. The turnover exceeded the VAT threshold but no registration was made and payments have been made to the owner's four children (who are all adults) in the nature of 'wages' with no PAYE scheme in operation. What I don't know, of course, is what advice the owner's accountant has already given about these areas and what action is intended.
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TAX EFFICIENT WAY TO SELL 40% SHARES IN YOUR START UP BUSINESS FOR APPROXIMATELY 1 MILLION POUNDS 303 3
- Any Scottish members out there? 11,934 449
- What is the role of an accountant? 1,755 23
- Direct Debit - no receipts 275 4
- VAT and gap in trading of uncertain length 127 1
- About to buy a block of fees. Any advice? 1,722 10
- Is there an expert in Excel out there? 552 9
- What code do you put expenses under such as tea & coffee? 308 6
- Now Scotland has voted "No", when does England get to vote? 1,336 63
- Freehold or Investment Property 106 1
- Excel: MATCH does not match two apparently identical cells 858 8
- capital gains on PPR 287 14
- Treatment of goodwill in Consolidation 383 14
- Claiming depreciation on a company vehicle 247 7
- Company expansion 134 1
- Do I need a 13digit tax ref for a ct600 401 6
- Pension Contributions Relief 516 15
- 100% Xero practice 2,486 46
- Fees for Property Tax Return 291 6
- Can I calculate a total amount on my freelance tax relief? 224 1
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 1,320
- Chartered Accountant in County Down N.Ireland 482
- National Insurance 374
- Non Resident 298
- Franchise income and costs 265
- Hands on experience of Digita 218
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 192
- Employer's Helpline 168
- employment capital allowances 165
- CIS paid under reg 9 159