Do all assignments fall within AML regs?
I have been approached by a small retail business (sole trader) which started from scratch a year ago and after trading for ten months was locked out of their premises by the landlord. Without going into details, the owner's solicitors threatened action against the landlord and he allowed access again after six weeks. During that time the landlord started removing fixtures and fittings and in all it is expected that the business will have been closed for three months when it re-opens. A claim for damages, including loss of profits, has been filed with a hearing due in mid January. The owner's accountants have produced accounts for the period of trading but when asked to produce a profit forecast, on which to base the loss of profits claim, say they are really too busy to be able to do it in the required timescale.
What I have been asked to do is to create a profit forecast in Excel using the figures from the accounts already prepared together with data from the EPOS system to give the daily/weekly takings analysis. The Excel file will have all data/assumptions tabulated so that the business owner can make adjustments as he sees fit.
My question is, does this small piece of work fall under the AML regulations?
The reason I pose it is because it appears to me that there are two areas of concern. The turnover exceeded the VAT threshold but no registration was made and payments have been made to the owner's four children (who are all adults) in the nature of 'wages' with no PAYE scheme in operation. What I don't know, of course, is what advice the owner's accountant has already given about these areas and what action is intended.
- Payment plans for clients 286 4
- How a company director can keep paying £833 79 4
- Community awards 2014 - first category 196 7
- Suggested tips to become a better accountant? 477 14
- Employee steeling client data 125 1
- Do most of you still use MS Office? 1,360 23
- Small bus. accounting software with departments 192 5
- Subsistence Exclusions 135 3
- Insurance Claims - Legal Services 93 1
- CT600 277 9
- VAT Office Grimsby 216 4
- signature required 915 34
- i want to get the reserves below 25K 197 1
- Can you help me spot errors? 341 4
- format cell to exclude decimals 334 17
- WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON AT HMRC? 160 2
- Form VAT 600 FRS 91 1
- Dividend Waiver and Settlement Legislation 156 2
- Supply of service to EU community body exempt from VAT 100 1
- Lease 152 4
- Auto enrolment excuses 1,309
- Feedback on accounts production software for IFRS 856
- Add T&Cs to Sales Order in Sage 551
- Credit where credit's due....... 342
- Buying goods in US and selling them to company in US 262
- TheTax Donut 234
- Double taxation relief - same income, different individual 191
- Semi retired FCA or equivalent 185
- Director's business mileage 152
- Sole trader CPD 147