Do all assignments fall within AML regs?
I have been approached by a small retail business (sole trader) which started from scratch a year ago and after trading for ten months was locked out of their premises by the landlord. Without going into details, the owner's solicitors threatened action against the landlord and he allowed access again after six weeks. During that time the landlord started removing fixtures and fittings and in all it is expected that the business will have been closed for three months when it re-opens. A claim for damages, including loss of profits, has been filed with a hearing due in mid January. The owner's accountants have produced accounts for the period of trading but when asked to produce a profit forecast, on which to base the loss of profits claim, say they are really too busy to be able to do it in the required timescale.
What I have been asked to do is to create a profit forecast in Excel using the figures from the accounts already prepared together with data from the EPOS system to give the daily/weekly takings analysis. The Excel file will have all data/assumptions tabulated so that the business owner can make adjustments as he sees fit.
My question is, does this small piece of work fall under the AML regulations?
The reason I pose it is because it appears to me that there are two areas of concern. The turnover exceeded the VAT threshold but no registration was made and payments have been made to the owner's four children (who are all adults) in the nature of 'wages' with no PAYE scheme in operation. What I don't know, of course, is what advice the owner's accountant has already given about these areas and what action is intended.
- What are other accountants having for lunch? 323 10
- micro entity balance sheet query 154 5
- Virtual Assistants 61 1
- Where can I report and accountant for defraud 270 6
- Where has Portia gone? 3,616 93
- RTI Payroll ID 758 20
- Overlap profit 89 1
- Sole trader paying Class 1 NIC 97 1
- Stock of photos to capatilise 307 14
- Spousal transfer and PPR 788 34
- Rogue Accountant 3,590 57
- Assigning loan from Company to adult children 96 2
- Practice management software 1,114 21
- Associated disposals - Entrepreneur's relief 340 19
- Inheritance Tax - Gifts UK 158 1
- VAT on a private sale? 195 5
- Overseas business trip - accompanied by family 254 3
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 1,245 24
- Payroll software 215 7
- Entrepreneurs Relief Shares Received as Part of Divorce Settlement 92 1
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 822
- Pensions Regulator 462
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 428
- Sanzar 328
- How do you do it 318
- Digital marketing focus group 307
- Kashflow balance sheet difference 279
- new investor structure 188
- Bed & Breakfast trade via Limited Company 187
- Fit for purpose 182