Do all assignments fall within AML regs?
I have been approached by a small retail business (sole trader) which started from scratch a year ago and after trading for ten months was locked out of their premises by the landlord. Without going into details, the owner's solicitors threatened action against the landlord and he allowed access again after six weeks. During that time the landlord started removing fixtures and fittings and in all it is expected that the business will have been closed for three months when it re-opens. A claim for damages, including loss of profits, has been filed with a hearing due in mid January. The owner's accountants have produced accounts for the period of trading but when asked to produce a profit forecast, on which to base the loss of profits claim, say they are really too busy to be able to do it in the required timescale.
What I have been asked to do is to create a profit forecast in Excel using the figures from the accounts already prepared together with data from the EPOS system to give the daily/weekly takings analysis. The Excel file will have all data/assumptions tabulated so that the business owner can make adjustments as he sees fit.
My question is, does this small piece of work fall under the AML regulations?
The reason I pose it is because it appears to me that there are two areas of concern. The turnover exceeded the VAT threshold but no registration was made and payments have been made to the owner's four children (who are all adults) in the nature of 'wages' with no PAYE scheme in operation. What I don't know, of course, is what advice the owner's accountant has already given about these areas and what action is intended.
- Company formation and bank account 176 6
- Accountant won't release working papers 2,512 44
- Client tied in to accountant. Unfair contract? 470 9
- Furnished Lettings - expenses normally bourne by tenant 383 8
- Importing Sage Data and Year End 162 2
- Legal structure of a group of friends producing a free newspaper 389 8
- OneNote is fantastic 448 11
- VAT Direct Debit 348 7
- S445 tax V's new dividend tax 433 8
- Self Assessment Software 676 21
- Share capital - death of a shareholder 429 13
- Self-assessment statistics 2,347 55
- Director started half way through the year no previous income. Pro rate NI 229 11
- Owning overseas property 219 1
- Fees to charge for Auto enrolment Pension for small Employers 325 3
- What's happened to Smith's Taxation 278 1
- Expedia say that they can't give me a VAT invoice 685 13
- Auto enrolment confusion 1,143 21
- PPR on a development? 236 4
- PAYE – Directors NI 424 7
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 648
- VAT on Export Outside EU and Conditional Sale 398
- Acrobat Checkbox Help for New 64-8 396
- Property letting & CAs 386
- 2015 tax year end 379
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 379
- FCA regulated company in a small group 338
- Self employed consultant working in Ireland 248
- MLR and benefitting from the disclosure 235
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 229