Do all assignments fall within AML regs?
I have been approached by a small retail business (sole trader) which started from scratch a year ago and after trading for ten months was locked out of their premises by the landlord. Without going into details, the owner's solicitors threatened action against the landlord and he allowed access again after six weeks. During that time the landlord started removing fixtures and fittings and in all it is expected that the business will have been closed for three months when it re-opens. A claim for damages, including loss of profits, has been filed with a hearing due in mid January. The owner's accountants have produced accounts for the period of trading but when asked to produce a profit forecast, on which to base the loss of profits claim, say they are really too busy to be able to do it in the required timescale.
What I have been asked to do is to create a profit forecast in Excel using the figures from the accounts already prepared together with data from the EPOS system to give the daily/weekly takings analysis. The Excel file will have all data/assumptions tabulated so that the business owner can make adjustments as he sees fit.
My question is, does this small piece of work fall under the AML regulations?
The reason I pose it is because it appears to me that there are two areas of concern. The turnover exceeded the VAT threshold but no registration was made and payments have been made to the owner's four children (who are all adults) in the nature of 'wages' with no PAYE scheme in operation. What I don't know, of course, is what advice the owner's accountant has already given about these areas and what action is intended.
- Reverse charge - do you always book it? 200 6
- LLP Accounts format 51 1
- Scoot 267 6
- A question about share structure 27 1
- Corporation tax due date confusion 178 3
- Disclosure query 29 1
- Top slicing relief question 128 2
- Share swap 185 3
- Recommendations for tax advice sole practitioner 359 4
- Is our client doing anything wrong? 272 2
- Auto enrolment 245 4
- Tax on sale of shares 155 3
- Accountants' Error 850 17
- Previous accountant filed dormant accounts in error 330 3
- Unclaimed amortisation of goodwill 220 6
- Shareholder agreement 222 5
- VAT - time of supply 84 2
- Let Property Campaign & DO2 103 1
- Regaining my qualification 317 3
- Remittances 131 1
- Skandia using wrong address 1,462
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 781
- Any views 710
- HMRC Employers Diary 528
- International interest certificate 428
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 398
- Sale of business 360
- NOVA 266
- Advertising services? 263
- IRIS Open Books problem 258