Do all assignments fall within AML regs?
I have been approached by a small retail business (sole trader) which started from scratch a year ago and after trading for ten months was locked out of their premises by the landlord. Without going into details, the owner's solicitors threatened action against the landlord and he allowed access again after six weeks. During that time the landlord started removing fixtures and fittings and in all it is expected that the business will have been closed for three months when it re-opens. A claim for damages, including loss of profits, has been filed with a hearing due in mid January. The owner's accountants have produced accounts for the period of trading but when asked to produce a profit forecast, on which to base the loss of profits claim, say they are really too busy to be able to do it in the required timescale.
What I have been asked to do is to create a profit forecast in Excel using the figures from the accounts already prepared together with data from the EPOS system to give the daily/weekly takings analysis. The Excel file will have all data/assumptions tabulated so that the business owner can make adjustments as he sees fit.
My question is, does this small piece of work fall under the AML regulations?
The reason I pose it is because it appears to me that there are two areas of concern. The turnover exceeded the VAT threshold but no registration was made and payments have been made to the owner's four children (who are all adults) in the nature of 'wages' with no PAYE scheme in operation. What I don't know, of course, is what advice the owner's accountant has already given about these areas and what action is intended.
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 102 3
- client can't/won't pay 164 9
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 189 6
- losses carried forward 346 10
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 447 22
- Auto enrolment 1,608 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 192 8
- VT 327 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 678 18
- 5% penalty on late payment 123 2
- Ongoing trade? 235 5
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 274 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 871 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 144 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 730 19
- Tax Penalty overeaction 550 10
- New Boiler at Rental Property 251 3
- Can I undertake a solicitors audit? 244 4
- Freelance software consultant 285 3
- opening balamces 350 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 775
- Copy Wanted 487
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 450
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 448
- Latest phishing scam 278
- Entrepreneurs' relief 260
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 257
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 242
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 226
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 224