New to this blogging malarkey? Want some advice on how to get started and attract new readers? Social media marketing expert Michelle Golden shares the secrets of writing a good blog with our US sister site, AccountingWEB.com
By its very nature blog discovery and readership is very organic and, like most marketing, there isn’t a single guaranteed formula that works for everyone. However, there are things you can do to promote your blog.
- Write original content that your target audience will get and stay interested in.
- Write in bite sized chunks to appeal to busy readers.
- Post with adequate frequency so that readers recognise you as someone who is dedicated to maintaining a blog.
- Share your opinions, don’t be too ‘safe’, lest it be dull or predictable—remember, people are drawn to new, exciting ideas.
- Be authentic and relaxed in your writing; remember it’s not a journal article, it’s a blog post, so don’t be afraid to show your personality.
Read and interact with other blogs
- Participate in online communities where people who are discussing issues related to your topics and your audience visit.
- Post comments (not pitchy, though!) on other blogs.
- Pick up other blog posts (with attribution, of course) adding your own ideas and expanding the conversation, but be sure to use trackbacks to the original posts.
- Link liberally to other resources and writings (this is called link love’ - give lots).
- View your blog visitor stats to see what sites referred them and follow those sites.
- Practice good blog etiquette by acknowledging and thanking commenters, and those who link to you.
Promote your blog presence throughout all your business communications: in email signatures, in your articles, newsletters, mailings, etc.
Check out Michelle's original article here