Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- Scottish independence - what happens to HMRC? 1,003 56
- Are HMRC cutting out Agents in tax investigations? 232 2
- Dental practice incorpration 104 1
- Audit rules 149 4
- Stopping trading and de-registering for VAT 221 5
- Disengaging a client who uses our office as a registered office address 807 20
- Go Cardless 256 8
- business entertaining deductibility 118 1
- Self assessment tax arrears 127 2
- R & D 101 3
- Shareholder/Directors termination payments 70 1
- Childcare vouchers and final month payroll Qs 107 2
- Can anybody help withe the RTI end of year process? 151 3
- Payroll software with annual pay period? 144 1
- New Business Registration 212 5
- Hosted email exchange 129 4
- Excel formula for UK corporation tax including losses 145 1
- G P life time allowance 113 3
- Why will HMRC not code out my client's £1,730 underpayment for 12/13 372 11
- Bringing money to Uk 216 3
- Xtuple 501
- Qtac payroll for bureau 335
- Confused - Professional Association a Mutual trader, or not? 280
- Industrial & Provident Societies 276
- Mehjoo 220
- Data transfer from Sage Line 50 to VT Transaction+ 218
- New strategic report 170
- Domain name sale and limited company 158
- South African Government Pension 154
- CIS schemes 149