Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- Taxfiler - SA100 - More efficient? 551 5
- See you all on the other side 652 6
- 12Pay 388 2
- dividends 536 2
- R&D 294 1
- Quarterly Reporting - The Logistics 1,147 17
- Auto enrolment contribution rates 428 3
- How long are you waiting for appeal reply 375 4
- Borrowing money to loan to company 343 1
- Mother as Guarantor for Son's mortgage 526 5
- Seeking a tax case 611 9
- When do we qualify for state pension? 470 4
- Companies house strike off 486 3
- Tax treatment of alterations to property 389 2
- Moving to the cloud 722 9
- Iris open space/doc exchange for SATRs 207 2
- How much to charge for payroll? 872 16
- Unincorporated charity transfer to CIO 196 4
- BTC vs Digita 1,078 29
- Has anyone tried calling HMRC to get tax on dividends put in code? 473 4
- HMRC Joint Filing 550
- Capital Contribution towards a company car 416
- Capital Reduction & Impact on EIS Shares 365
- IRIS and FRS 102 349
- Capitalising Finance Lease 314
- USA help 311
- National Minimum Wage issue on Directors joining a Workplace Pension 290
- Dormant company accounts under FRS 102 280
- Capital gains on rental property 256
- Marginal rates of tax 246