Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- Accounts submitted to a the charities comission 121 2
- What would you do in this situation? 639 14
- FILING COMPANY ACCOUNTS 1,055 31
- Dress code 446 13
- What quality paper do you use for correspondence? 498 16
- Project being run jointly 202 3
- Buying Microsoft's Surface Pro 3 308 4
- Companies House 602 9
- French Excise Duty - Help Please! 134 1
- not self employed since March 2011 now received a penalty for late tax return for year 2012-13 354 11
- Where to start to get any of jobs in Finance and Accounting Industry 731 9
- How much did you pay for your website 1,442 25
- Help Required 413 10
- directors control and tax problems 294 5
- Fastest Software 806 13
- What's in a name ? 383 5
- Straightforward email correspondence or PDF letter attached to blank email? 300 4
- Bulk Invoicing 191 6
- Travel and Substinance expenses while abroad 183 3
- Self Employed Self Assessment: Capital Allowance and Car Lease/HP 263 2
- CTA study material 713
- Anyone have clients that use Pay4Later to offer customers credit? 435
- Employment related securities question 274
- AIM Stocks and IHT 252
- Recommendations for Ross Martin Tax consultancy 2014 234
- Raiders of the Lost Tax File 220
- Tax Relief for overseas employees 212
- Expat pension contributions? 200
- Trust for Employee 197
- Quickbooks losing VAT return data 172