Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- Share premium or Directors Loan 756 31
- Enquiry into tax return - how co-operative would you be? 375 8
- Halloween - do you celebrate it? 1,432 47
- Interest on HMRC contract settlement 171 3
- Goodwill gesture for providing work 449 12
- VAT reconciliation and VAT return on Sage 124 3
- What would you do in this situation? 189 5
- Filing a P87 (professional fees) before year end. 143 2
- Recommendations for payroll/AE software? 619 13
- More HMRC on gov.uk 648 11
- Rollover relief - when does gain crystallise in this situation? 98 1
- Offshore company transferring assets to a UK individual. 348 14
- Interest Free Loan - Salay Sacrifice? 249 4
- Research and development - repayment timescale 222 5
- Sole trader hid directorships. 410 6
- NOVA 558 1
- Clearing payments on account/ Sage 50 280 10
- Regional Development Grant 131 4
- Problem ex client...again.. 2,458 21
- Company car without a salary 246 2
- Bonus Bonds 393
- Insolvency and whistle blowing 384
- Transfer of funds into recently set up company 295
- TPR imposes first penalty notice fines 261
- Box 8 VAT Return - deposit payment 188
- Husband proposes to buy the car as Director unable to acess finance 184
- Company Car Lease 158
- Finance Lease 158
- Form 42 150
- Demerger Reserve 132