Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- sole trader to ltd company 87 2
- New desktop accounting and payroll, help, please 124 3
- Rogue Accountant 1,075 33
- Is cloud accounting software all just pie in the sky 1,108 35
- Spousal transfer and PPR 305 10
- Personal bank account in limited company 233 7
- Dual taxation - usa 185 2
- My house has fallen down 457 13
- CGT on residential property for a non resident and PPR relief 101 1
- Timing of LTD CIS rebates 279 10
- Quickbooks Desktop - 14/15 Employment Allowance 252 7
- Inheritance Tax Advice 102 1
- Directors Salary and Directors Loan Account and RTI 112 1
- Tax refunds for 2014/15 557 8
- Getting fees, getting harder? 945 22
- Working in Iraq, how to treat the income 285 4
- What are the tax implications of bringing funds into the UK from abroad? 206 2
- Property sale split between years 159 5
- VAT charge on e-service supply 97 3
- VATMOSS filing 168 3
- Services via intermediaries and new HMRC reporting requirements 640
- LIVE: Budget aftermath webinar 405
- Pensions Regulator 379
- NIC contribution on unremitted income 324
- RTI - duplicate employee record 323
- Using the correct forms 299
- SA penalty proposals 296
- How hard is it to reduce a code? 278
- Digital marketing focus group 197
- Sage Vat return box 2 187