Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- How much does the company pay 58 2
- Help with CGT please 77 3
- Lack of VAT Receipt 108 3
- Base value unavailable re. Capital Gain 307 6
- Benefit in Kind 289 6
- How do you find shareholders of a Cyprus Company ? 317 17
- Will I need to resign? 930 11
- Cocaine anyone? 663 11
- HMRC won't let me set up online DD for PAYE 254 4
- Anyone using BTC Accounts Production yet? 150 4
- Accounting for cash put into Ltd 196 3
- Allocation of Receipt from DWP 180 2
- Solicitors now, Accountants next 845 11
- Depression - HMRC penalties case won because of this illness. 547 19
- How come if you claim benefits you are not entitled to you either have to pay a 50% penalty or are sent to court and either fined or sent to prison (sometimes suspended) and end up with a criminal record. 716 13
- Personal pension 449 9
- Business rates consultancy 273 4
- Wrong tax code 185 6
- SELLING A PROPERTY at LOSS/PROFIT - CAP GAINS ALLOWANCE 110 2
- Am I getting Soft?? 337 10
- Hive up 515
- Accounting referance change & deficient accounts. 476
- corporate hierarchy 454
- Advice - 299
- Anyone had HMRC refusing to act on EPS database glitch? 245
- WWOOFers 240
- Art Gallery - Splitting a property between business and personal use 222
- Tax liabilities in USA for warehoused products 198
- The booking.com con 182
- Cocaine anyone? 168