Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- VAT - How hard is it? 203 12
- VAT REGISTATIONS 182 4
- SA302 list of lenders accepting alternative 1,440 18
- Xero Pain Points 81 4
- Small hotel - food for personal use 47 1
- Overdrawn directors loan account. 761 18
- Tax Filer - Transfering figures from partnership to personal returns 39 1
- Can I force IRIS to produce an amended tax return ? 191 5
- The importance of Grammar 718 20
- Fees for successfully defending a COP9 enquiry 364 12
- Why does Aweb always take the nuclear option … 2,503 53
- Tax Return for arrivals into the UK 89 1
- Is this dodgy? 739 17
- Capital Allowances and CGT interaction 138 5
- Its going to be fun isnt it? 1,270 15
- Capital Allowances on new property 109 5
- Trustees waiving dividend 74 1
- Directors loan balance write off in period 436 21
- Education - Pre made assembly! 200 2
- Childcare 222 3
- Any knowledge of salesorder.com 355
- Chart of account segments; Balance sheet vs P&L 289
- HMRC RTI Filing Problem 277
- Goodwill and the Summer 2015 Budget 273
- Could and would anyone here carry out a hot file review of some non statutory audit work please? 263
- Electric Car 218
- S222 Charge 197
- What is the best acounting software for online international retail business? 190
- Foreign Tax on Pensions 188
- Company Structure 168