Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- HMRC overreaching its powers -again against a small surveying firm? 171 5
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 660 23
- Cleaners wages at small church -PAYE or self employed ? 1,407 16
- Deed of variation on a will & effect on tax returns 70 2
- Renting for military reasons 47 1
- Sale of house with planning permission - tax free? 70 1
- 2013/14 failure to submit end of year submission 120 6
- VAT code for invoice from not VAT registered company 199 3
- do i pay vat when buying a business 468 25
- Auto enrolment for one or two director companies 1,960 30
- Tax status of prizes 291 17
- Accounting for a finance lease 60 2
- SA302's anyone?? 416 14
- Clogged Losses 234 4
- Import Sales Invoices into Sage Instant 288 5
- Are Sage finally getting it's act together? 228 2
- Receiving dividends from a pension fund? 97 5
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 161 3
- Claiming VAT and missing receipts 363 9
- Bookkeping software 588 5
- Skandia using wrong address 1,609
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 891
- International interest certificate 502
- NOVA 364
- Have we escaped Gift with Reservation of Benfit & Pre-owned asset charges? - Gift after benefit 273
- Bonus Bonds 255
- Management expenses for investment company 254
- Help with tax codes on Sage 201
- Entertainer withholding tax in Australia 167
- tax on apprenticeship income 156