Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- Share swap 273 8
- Non Registered trader selling to Malta 52 1
- Incorporation - any tax advantage? 162 4
- Dividend payments and shareholdings 64 2
- Online filing 109 5
- Payment for goods received on last day of quarter but refunded the next - what options are open here? 311 13
- Company overdue but wants to be struck off 97 4
- New client, prev accountant disappeared 1,634 25
- EC sales list and reverse charge 78 2
- Converting a barn for business use 68 1
- Was I rude 653 17
- If an invoice is sent and paid does a contract exist 199 9
- Threshold for RTI submission 92 2
- Joint rental income 84 1
- I'm not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes 304 4
- Money Laundering checks on Charity 126 4
- Auto enrolment 378 6
- Inventory valuation of precious metals? 328 3
- Partnership to LLP - Capital Contribution 93 1
- Surcharges on very late VAT 182 2
- Skandia using wrong address 1,473
- Nil Rate Band Trust - index linked debt by way of charge over property 802
- Any views 722
- International interest certificate 442
- Stamp Duty on share for share exchange 412
- Sale of business 380
- NOVA 277
- IRIS Open Books problem 273
- farming-related R & D tax relief claims 191
- Expenses claim for non employee 180