Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- client can't/won't pay 127 7
- Auto enrolment 1,607 26
- Is it possible to offset part Class 4 losses for year from one business against part profits of second business 184 8
- losses carried forward 338 9
- VT 324 7
- Warning! Cannot pay SA tax at Post Office 672 18
- Taxcalc , the hub of the problem 438 21
- Sole trade and vehicle leasing 85 2
- 5% penalty on late payment 110 2
- Ongoing trade? 234 5
- Tax deduction for Partners for items outside of accounts 171 3
- Tax Enquiry - Inspector Error 266 2
- Welcome to the Saturday Club 857 41
- Loan repayments (personal) and profits 141 3
- anyone using Office365 for practice management 727 19
- Tax Penalty overeaction 549 10
- New Boiler at Rental Property 248 3
- Can I undertake a solicitors audit? 237 4
- Freelance software consultant 283 3
- opening balamces 348 11
- Form MR01 (Particulars of a charge) - does this need to be filed if you remortgage with the same lender? 774
- Copy Wanted 487
- Underpaid VAT assessment and relation to SATR 450
- Did you realise Google will not patch android exploit ... 448
- Latest phishing scam 278
- Entrepreneurs' relief 260
- Limited Company Garden Office - Minor Personal Use - BIK 257
- Corporate LLP with 30 June Year end - How to record on SA800? 242
- Supply teachers and Ltd Companies 226
- Cashback for opening business bank acct = trading income? 222