Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- What is 'an asset' for A/A+B CGT? 65 3
- Mileage claim 151 6
- OBK 290 10
- Auto-Enrolment 3,573 171
- Proof of Delivery 179 6
- Difference of Sales Invoices and Bank receipts for Sales 321 8
- Partially exempt? 104 2
- VAT on converted property having opted to tax 222 9
- Property expense - legal fees 139 3
- Research expenses for authors 270 6
- Investor exit 74 1
- Tax question about small group and how to set up 126 3
- Place of Supply or these two contracts walk into a German Bar 239 4
- Accounting for a VAT Group 120 3
- Xero (another cloud system) and your year end accounts file 133 2
- NIC thresholds - two employments 1,700 25
- Twenty signs your practice is bad at tax 414 4
- Any Scottish members out there? 15,760 588
- Rental Income Tax Planning 128 2
- What type of Trust? 99 1
- Best way to take money from a business if you have unlimited EIS allowances? 509
- Skandia using wrong address 459
- Does anyone use PS Financials accounting software out there? 266
- Employee rewards 245
- FHL, period of grace and Entrepreneur's relief 245
- Legislation access for part-time sole practitioner? 214
- EPS Analysis - Change to EURO 203
- Rental Property W&T And Equipment 197
- Gift of reversion and lease into trust by two different people - later PPR 187
- Etax Australian 158