Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- Is VAT payable on insurance claims received ?? 48 3
- Unaudited accounts and an accountant’s certificate of confirmation 39 1
- late vat registration and immediate deregistration 119 3
- Brain freeze - loss on disposal of company car 42 1
- VAT Registration 315 5
- CIS and Close Company 34 1
- should Van be included in plant or motor vehicles? 58 2
- Can you declare dividends and not withdraw them 212 6
- VAT Option to tax 423 14
- PPR qualifying period while living in employer accommodation? 111 3
- How far back can you get dates of property purchases 49 1
- PAYE coding notice - deliberate misstatement 1,229 19
- husband and wife dividends 398 11
- Capital allowance vehicle exchange 140 5
- What is considered an acceptable price for arable farming land 304 6
- Sage Instant Accounts 72 2
- LLP members share of profits 564 31
- HMRC chasing club for unpaid fees 161 1
- why prior period posting will be single entry transaction and it wont have any balance transaction 270 4
- HMRC request for Sage Back Up 2,175 26
- Residential Property Purchase Above £750K 903
- Using Sage with Sofa Categories 633
- Free Tax Legislation? 393
- Director Loan account operation 393
- Understanding the implications of January 2015 VAT changes for downloads on threshold for VAT registration 317
- transferring simply accounting 2010 from xp to windows 7 313
- Sage 200 and Access Dimensions reviews 284
- rent-a-room allowance for part of the year 217
- Paye procedures for CVA 216
- HMRC Second Income Campaign - not so much a question as heads up 177