Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- When to top-up pensions? 33 1
- Entrepreneur - want to submit accounts by myself 1,810 22
- Withdrawal of a quote 186 5
- Company Number 10000000 944 13
- Online accounting provider for multicompany with turnover £10m 336 5
- CGT on lost shares/scam 151 3
- Anyone else getting these HMRC letters? 406 3
- What would you do here, potential insolvency. 1,811 29
- Divorcing husband, both 50% owners of a Ltd business 542 10
- HP agreement in Directors name but payments under company 415 9
- Support / ticketing software 288 9
- Where to follow court cases/rulings 200 3
- HMRC Funding for Employee PAYE refund 328 5
- Are Tax Agents designed out of online systems? 260 2
- Stamp Duty 110 2
- Annual Return for company for whom director/shareholder has died 400 13
- Best software for small practice? 824 24
- Large director's pension contribution 636 10
- Credit for price reduction - Inventory write down effect 141 2
- Car benefit or not? 2,559 26
- Self employed and HMRC Worldwide Subsistence Rates 793
- Interest paid - do new rules affect Tax Credits? 464
- Market Invoice (P2P invoice discounting) tax treatment 282
- DTA tie-breaker issue 279
- CGT for NOn UK residents 239
- Apprenticeship Levy 214
- Tax Implicatins on a Directors Loan 206
- What are the tax implications of overseas sales through a UK based company? 206
- Just checking re PSA 194
- Capital Gains personal representatives 187