Problem filing Self Assessment online with HMRC Software
Here is the text of a letter I have sent to the Tax Office, which will be self-explanatory
URGENT PLEASE - POTENTIAL COMPLAINT CASE
Back in the middle of November 2008 I filed my Self Assessment Return online using the HMRC software. It appeared to transmit but since then has locked up with the error messages as attached. No clicking on any of the links will allow me to go anywhere with it.
I have tried filing using commercial software but the message just comes back that a Return has been logged in already, and of course we are now past the deadline for paper Returns.
Phone calls to the Online Services Help desk are of course just to a Call Centre who have more than once said the problem has been “escalated” but I have heard nothing further. I have been told that there is some system-wide blockage that someone is going to fix, but after some two months and the 31 January deadline hurtling towards us I have no faith in that.
May I suggest a possible solution? If a similar problem occurs with a Corporation Tax Return I can phone the local Tax Office where the person ‘un-sets’ the Return and in a day or so I can re-file Online. Can you do the same at local level for Self Assessment?
It is no good me phoning the 0845 number because that is just a Call Centre - the difference with Corporation Tax being that you actually get to speak to someone who can do something !
I am attaching an identical letter for Mr XXXXX, a client for whom exactly the same problem has occurred.
TEXT FROM WEBSITE
HMRC: Welcome back - What would you like to do today?
XXXXXXXX 's tax return: 2007-08 SUBMITTED
This section explains what you can do using the File a return service.
View your calculation for your latest submitted return
View/print/store your return onto your local drive
Pay any outstanding tax you owe using How to pay
Work with your current and previous returns in Tax return options
What would you like to do today?
ERROR: We cannot verify that your return was successfully submitted to HM Revenue & Customs. Please click 'Next' so that we can do this
now and verify your return was submitted.
HMRC: Submit your return - System busy 06/01/2009 10:19
file/0708/ind/XXXXXXXXXX/return/submit/submitting Page 1 of 1
Your tax return is 95% complete
XXXXXXXX: 2007-08 IN PROGRESS
We are not able to confirm that your return has been successfully received
If you are not able to wait for a response, you can log out and return to the File a return service later, in order to confirm that HM Revenue &
Customs has received your return.
Your return is saved automatically.
If you need help:
If this problem persists, please contact the Online Services Helpdesk …
- Altered PAYE cheque 255 6
- Fee agreed but client disagrees on amount 765 11
- Am i Liable? 232 7
- RTI 124 3
- Giving a seminar 554 31
- directors overdrawn loan account 96 1
- Does buying a block of fees qualify as goodwill 138 1
- Tax deductable portion of home rental cost 219 10
- Incorrect Generic non-filing notice 102 1
- Added years superannuation 78 2
- Bank interest in 'near' facility recall situation 207 1
- JIEB Exams 145 1
- Christmas party 139 1
- Checking a contract 307 8
- Flat Rate Scheme 315 15
- deleting customers on Sage 50 170 7
- VAT on garage rent 333 14
- Value-shifting 90 1
- Pattern for CTA 220 4
- Debiting private use proportion to directors loan account 459 18
- Desperately seeking Susan, Sam or anyone with any other name 1,222
- Experience with Islamic investor following Sharia-compliant rules? 610
- Darwinpay Partnership Assessment 410
- S464A Charge to tax: conferring benefit & BIK 316
- Agent fees to sell business 193
- Alphabet shares 193
- Quirky thread of the year: Community Awards 189
- ACCA continuity of practice arrangement needed 185
- VAT codes In Sage. Am I correct? 169
- Office recharges 153