Chartered Tax Adviser based in West Kilbride, Ayrshire
A highly able tax professional with 25 years' experience in all areas of taxation, particularly corporate tax and taxes on property, and with wide knowledge of tax planning.
Mobile 07949 249823
1998 CTA - winner of the prize for the best overall performance in Scotland
1990 HM Inspector of Taxes (FT)
EMPLOYMENT / BUSINESS
April 2013 to date Director, Alastair Johnston Tax Consultancy Ltd
Tax consultant to accountants, solicitors and their clients, and property businesses
December 2004 - March 2013 Head of Tax, Semple Fraser LLP, solicitors
Head of the firm's tax department, responsible for high quality tax advice including planning on large commercial property and corporate transactions.
Advisor on the full range of taxes impinging on such transactions, including CT, VAT, SDLT, CGT.
Often advised on the use of offshore vehicles to hold investment property.
Clients included major retailers and property investors such as Tesco, Unite Student Accommodation, Threadneedle / Zurich Assurance and large private investors.
Tax enquiries, including VAT tribunal hearing.
Occasional tax returns, and tax advice on other areas, e.g. employee issues, insolvencies.
2002 - 2004 Tax Manager, Wylie Frame CA
Head of the firm's tax department, responsible for tax services to a variety of companies, partnerships and individuals.
Advisor on a wide range of UK issues such as incorporations, tax-efficient remuneration, and VAT planning on property transactions.
Advised clients on many international tax matters including permanent establishment abroad, VAT on overseas operations, withholding taxes, tax returns for inbound and outbound individuals, emigration to avoid CGT.
Also responsible for reviewing all tax returns produced for clients and dealing with correspondence from Inland Revenue and Customs & Excise.
2000 - 2002 Senior Corporate Tax Consultant, Ernst & Young
Tax Consultant to a diverse range of companies from small group to plc, both UK and multinational, in many sectors such as engineering, haulage, and education.
Much work on corporate transactions, including CT, stamp duty and CGT planning on acquisitions and disposals.
Advised UK and foreign-parented groups on international tax matters such as treaty shopping, setting up operations in new territories, tax efficient profit extraction.
1999 - 2000 Tax Manager, PricewaterhouseCoopers
1997 - 1999 Assistant Tax Manager, KPMG
1988 - 1997 HM Inspector of Taxes
- I think they can 11/08/2015 - 14:22
- Thanks to all 21/05/2015 - 13:42
- If you feel you have to ask the question ... 21/05/2015 - 12:33
- Acquisition value? 20/08/2014 - 09:19
- Same as for an individual? 19/08/2014 - 16:43
- OTT would not be late 19/08/2014 - 16:35
- Spidersong ... 19/08/2014 - 16:22
- Holdco acquired shares at market value 19/08/2014 - 13:44
- CGT deduction for legal fees re disposal proceeds 21/05/2015 - 12:14
- Winding up company with overdrawn DLA - effect on ER 13/05/2015 - 17:32
- FHL and subletting 07/05/2014 - 17:07
- Client ID when I know fine who they are 02/04/2014 - 13:00
- CGT disposal proceeds or not? 23/10/2013 - 11:13
- Waiver of bank debt - trade or non-trade LR credit? 06/09/2013 - 15:25
- Repetition of VAT queries by HMRC 19/04/2011 - 16:21
- When did Customs & Excise begin to acknowledge options to tax? 03/09/2010 - 10:59