Chartered Tax Adviser based in West Kilbride, Ayrshire
A highly able tax professional with over 25 years' experience in all areas of taxation, particularly corporate tax and taxes on property, and with wide knowledge of tax planning.
Mobile 07949 249823
E-mail: [email protected]
1998 CTA - winner of the prize for the best overall performance in Scotland
1990 HM Inspector of Taxes (FT)
EMPLOYMENT / BUSINESS
April 2013 to date Director, Alastair Johnston Tax Consultancy Ltd
Tax consultant to accountants, solicitors and their clients, and property businesses
December 2004 - March 2013 Head of Tax, Semple Fraser LLP, solicitors
Head of the firm's tax department, responsible for high quality tax advice including planning on large commercial property and corporate transactions.
Advisor on the full range of taxes impinging on such transactions, including CT, VAT, SDLT, CGT.
Often advised on the use of offshore vehicles to hold investment property.
Clients included major retailers and property investors such as Tesco, Unite Student Accommodation, Threadneedle / Zurich Assurance and large private investors.
2002 - 2004 Tax Manager, Wylie Frame CA
Head of the firm's tax department, responsible for tax services to a variety of companies, partnerships and individuals.
2000 - 2002 Senior Corporate Tax Consultant, Ernst & Young
1999 - 2000 Tax Manager, PricewaterhouseCoopers
1997 - 1999 Assistant Tax Manager, KPMG
1988 - 1997 HM Inspector of Taxes
- CG with ER 16/11/2015 - 17:21
- Optional, Portia? 11/11/2015 - 12:35
- 1% minimum 11/11/2015 - 12:32
- They are linked, but that might be a good thing 11/11/2015 - 09:37
- Sorry Euan! 14/10/2015 - 10:59
- Biggest client? 14/10/2015 - 10:00
- Agreed, no, but Euan's obiter is wrong 14/10/2015 - 09:46
- Make the bonus conditional on still being employed on 6 April 09/09/2015 - 11:17
- CGT deduction for legal fees re disposal proceeds 21/05/2015 - 12:14
- Winding up company with overdrawn DLA - effect on ER 13/05/2015 - 17:32
- FHL and subletting 07/05/2014 - 17:07
- Client ID when I know fine who they are 02/04/2014 - 13:00
- CGT disposal proceeds or not? 23/10/2013 - 11:13
- Waiver of bank debt - trade or non-trade LR credit? 06/09/2013 - 15:25
- Repetition of VAT queries by HMRC 19/04/2011 - 16:21
- When did Customs & Excise begin to acknowledge options to tax? 03/09/2010 - 10:59