Monty is a consultant to the Litigation Department in Jeffrey Green Russell Solicitors with over 5 years’ litigation experience and 7 years’ commercial experience in sales and operations management, both domestic and international. Over the last 10 years Monty has dealt with HM Revenue & Customs in a management environment in relation to all taxation issues affecting the companies he has worked with. Through Monty's exposure to indirect and direct tax issues, he has developed an understanding of how HMRC's policies affect UK businesses. Monty assists businesses in the preparation and development of strategies for litigating claims against HMRC. His commercial and litigation experience is unique and an asset to his clients.
Monty specialises in tax litigation. He is results driven with a broad commercial acumen. His extensive knowledge of domestic and international businesses, compliance work, including designing and implementing due diligence procedures, places him in a unique position to assist clients on evidence and strategy. Monty has a proven record of success in change management and a solid background in multi-site general management. Monty was one of very few individuals to be given the opportunity to give evidence before the inquiry into Missing Trader Intra-Community (MTIC) fraud in the UK in January 2007, which was conducted by the House of Lords Select Committee on the European Union (Sub-Committee A - Economic and Financial Affairs, and International Trade).
Monty was formerly a professional cricketer having played international cricket for East and Central Africa in the 1997 ICC Mini World Cup Trophy, and having played professional cricket in many parts of the world including Australia, Derbyshire, UAE and Canada.
Monty is a qualified English Cricket Board Level 1 coach and is currently playing in the Middlesex County League for Harrow Cricket Club. Monty's International Cricket Profile can be accessed by visiting http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/other/content/player/24013.html.
Monty is fluent in Swahili, Hindi and Gujarati and also speaks basic Arabic.
- Spain has failed to fulfil its obligations under EU law by applying reduced rates of VAT beyond what is authorised under the VAT Directive. 17/01/2013 - 09:52
- The free movement of goods may be restricted on grounds of protection of copyright 26/06/2012 - 13:42
- FIGHT ON - The deduction of VAT cannot be refused, in principle, because of irregularities 21/06/2012 - 11:51
- Right of set off by HMRC of one tax against another tax 15/05/2012 - 15:57
- HMRC - New mobile apps to help with record-keeping 17/04/2012 - 13:11
- The fight for London - Ken Livingstone -v- Boris Johnson 13/04/2012 - 14:55
- Chancellor George Osbourne - Taxpayers should eat cold food. 28/03/2012 - 14:28
- Atlantic Electronics wins landmark VAT payments case 28/03/2012 - 13:38