Share this content

40% tax on Pension Lump sum

How to get a refund

Didn't find your answer?

Wondered if you can help me

Client not under self asessment.  Took out pension as a lump sum and pension provider deducted 40% tax in year 2016-17.  He doesn't have any other income apart from disability benefits which is not taxable.

Would he need to complete a self assessment as I thought HMRC would have sent out a P800 notifying overpayment of tax.

Replies (4)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By ireallyshouldknowthisbut
30th Jan 2018 10:43


Thanks (0)
Euan's picture
By Euan MacLennan
30th Jan 2018 13:36

Form P53 - the lump sum does not have to be "small".

Thanks (0)
By Krusty
30th Jan 2018 13:45

If it's for 2016/17 then I'd contact HMRC to ask for the year to be reconciled, saves the need for P53 if they hold details of the pension already

Thanks (0)
Replying to Krusty:
By Jim100
30th Jan 2018 15:41

Yes thats' what I thought they have all the information and thought they could have contacted my client. Will get my client to call HMRC.

Thanks (0)
Share this content