Share this content
22

ACCA Certificate

ACCA Certificate

Didn't find your answer?

Hi,

I need to send back my certificate to ACCA to be reissued in my married name. In the meantime, I have left ACCA and they have requested that I pay outstanding fees & CPD in order to be reinstated & they will reissue the cert. 

I am concerned that as I have taken on some practice clients in the meantime, that this could lead to potential disbarment.

Can anyone tell me if there is a potential trap if I re-register because of this.

Replies (22)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By johngroganjga
17th Aug 2015 17:21

So you are a former ACCA member who is taking steps to have her membership restored.

Is that right?

Not sure what your problem is.

Are you holding yourself out as being an ACCA member?

Thanks (0)
avatar
By oconnor_m2000
17th Aug 2015 22:24

ACCA certificate

No, All my business cards have MAAT so there is no issue from that point of view but I am wary of falling into a trap.

Thanks (0)
By johngroganjga
17th Aug 2015 22:31

What trap are you wary of falling into?

Thanks (0)
avatar
By oconnor_m2000
17th Aug 2015 23:13

I'm probably being paranoid. I have been hit with a bill to pay just to get my cert re-issued so I was wondering what next.

Thanks (0)
By johngroganjga
18th Aug 2015 08:22

What next?

oconnor_m2000 wrote:

I'm probably being paranoid. I have been hit with a bill to pay just to get my cert re-issued so I was wondering what next.

If you are being re-admitted as a member after a period of interruption I imagine the next  thing that will happen is that you will receive confirmation of your re-admission and a new certificate of membership. Then you will be able to hold yourself out as an ACCA member and, if you wish, have your business cards reprinted with "ACCA" on them.

Where is the problem in all this that you are paranoid about?

 

 

Thanks (0)
avatar
By sarahg
18th Aug 2015 07:09

Why do you want your certificate reissued?
It sounds like you resigned your membership and went MAAT instead

Thanks (0)
avatar
By MDK45
18th Aug 2015 07:15

Surely your acca certificate is worthless anyway?

Thanks (0)
Locutus of Borg
By Locutus
18th Aug 2015 08:41

@OP Why?
Why do you even want to change the name on a certificate for an organisation that you used to belong to?

The only reason that I can think of (although I apologise if I am wrong) is that you have the old one prominently on your wall that clients can see. In which case, you would seem to be holding yourself out as an ACCA member when you are not.

I think the question you are obliquely asking is whether, when you get re-admitted as a member of ACCA whether it will be a problem that you have clients, but no practising certificate. The answer to that question is 'yes', as without a practising certificate you are in breach of ACCA rules, so you would potentially be liable to disciplinary action.

Thanks (2)
Stepurhan
By stepurhan
18th Aug 2015 08:47

Interim period

I assume the issue they are concerned about is the interim period, where they have been practicing without an ACCA practicing certificate.

As they are talking about paying missing fees, it is possible that ACCA are seeing the position as a lapsed member bringing their account up to date. If that is the case, then they would have been a member in the entire period in-between. If that is the case, then they are potentially in breach of ACCA rules. A member cannot practice at all without an ACCA practicing certificate, even if they do so under another qualification.

The way I see it there are two possibilities to avoid this. That you had actually left ACCA in the interim period, and hence cannot be in breach (as you weren't a member at the time you were practicing without a certificate). Alternatively, paying the back fees and CPD means you can actually be considered a practicing member the whole time, and so are covered anyway.

Are the back fees you are paying the normal membership fees or the practicing member fees? If the latter, ACCA would have a hard time arguing that doesn't mean you are being treated as holding a valid certificate the whole time.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By oconnor_m2000
18th Aug 2015 10:25

ACCA certificate

Actually the main reason is that I was planning on going back to full-time employment and at the moment the only confirmation I have of membership is a scan with my maiden name on it. Most employers will only accept an original. I no longer have the original and it needs to be re-issued. I de-registered because I did not have a practicing certificate and did not want to be in breach of the rules. I do not have the old one on the wall. I am not that inadequate. I am however concerned that I could fall foul of regulations if I re-register and as I want to ensure that it does not happen. 

Thanks (0)
Stepurhan
By stepurhan
18th Aug 2015 10:37

Speak to ACCA

oconnor_m2000 wrote:
I de-registered because I did not have a practicing certificate and did not want to be in breach of the rules.
Since you never had a practicing certificate, you need to clarify the position with ACCA. If the issue of a new certificate and collection of fees is indeed them treating you as a member over the whole period, then you have a problem. Only ACCA will be able to tell you if that is the case and if there is any way around it.
Thanks (0)
By johngroganjga
18th Aug 2015 10:43

You seem a little confused.

You refer in your first sentence to a document that you say is your "only confirmation" of membership.

Then you say in your third sentence that you are not in fact a member (because you voluntarily gave your membership up) - so you have no membership that any document can "confirm"!!!

With respect you are wasting the time of people who are trying to help because you are contradicting yourself at very turn, and in particular failing to respond to repeated requests to explain what possible unpleasantnesses you are paranoid about.  

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Ken Howard
18th Aug 2015 10:55

Shouldn't your old certificate have been returned?

My ACCA certificates say on them that they are the property of the ACCA.  I'm sure I've read in their rules that you have to return the certificate if you cease your membership.

If you don't want to rejoin and become a member again, surely you're old lapsed membership certificate is now null and void.

If you do want to rejoin and become a member again, then you need to comply with their rules, such as practicing certificate etc if you wish to continue practising, whether or not you publicise your ACCA membership.

At the end of the day, if you're not currently a member, you have no right to display or use your old ACCA membership certificate and unless you wish to rejoin, ACCA have no obligation (and won't) issue a new certificate in a different name.

Thanks (0)
By johngroganjga
18th Aug 2015 11:17

Certificate

Ken Howard wrote:

My ACCA certificates say on them that they are the property of the ACCA.  I'm sure I've read in their rules that you have to return the certificate if you cease your membership.

Presumably she did, which would be the reason why she no longer has the original only a scanned copy thereof.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Sandnickel
18th Aug 2015 11:11

I wouldn't re-register

If you are looking for employment just note on your CV that you passed the ACCA exams but have not continued your membership.

The prospective employer can check with ACCA if they need confirmation of this.

Thanks (0)
By johngroganjga
18th Aug 2015 11:59

Exam results

Sandnickel wrote:

If you are looking for employment just note on your CV that you passed the ACCA exams but have not continued your membership.

The prospective employer can check with ACCA if they need confirmation of this.

Are you sure ACCA will give out information on past exam results to all and sundry who may enquire?

Thanks (0)
avatar
By dreamcatcher
18th Aug 2015 11:26

Qualifed or Member status

I agree with sandnickel do you really need to reinstate your membership ?

There is a distinct difference between being a qualifed ACCA and a member of ACCA.  Just be clear with any perspective employer that you are qualified but are no longer a member.  You should still have your cerificates for passing which should be adequate for any employer as they can always check your status with ACCA.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Sandnickel
18th Aug 2015 12:11

@ John

ACCA will confirm the authenticity of the certificate and indeed if you call them and ask if Joe Bloggs was a member of ACCA they will confirm that too.

ACCA (& ICAEW) have a searchable list of all members on their websites so it's not exactly confidential information.

Thanks (0)
By johngroganjga
18th Aug 2015 12:25

Yes but this is a question about an ex member not a current member.

I am (obviously) well aware that details of current members can be checked and are not confidential.

And there is no membership certificate they can confirm the authenticity of because there is no membership!

But if you are saying that if you ring them up and ask if Joe Bloggs was once a member they will reply, that is the answer to my question.  Many thanks.

 

 

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Ken Howard
18th Aug 2015 13:11

Public domain

johngroganjga wrote:

Yes but this is a question about an ex member not a current member.

I am (obviously) well aware that details of current members can be checked and are not confidential.

And there is no membership certificate they can confirm the authenticity of because there is no membership!

But if you are saying that if you ring them up and ask if Joe Bloggs was once a member they will reply, that is the answer to my question.  Many thanks.

 

It's not confidential because at some point in time it would have been on their website, therefore in the public domain, and once something is in the public domain, it's not confidential anymore anyway.  Don't see any confidentiality issue in the ACCA confirming whether someone is or was a member - it's hardly giving out any personal/confidential information.

Thanks (0)
By johngroganjga
18th Aug 2015 13:16

Confidentiality

I didn't say there was a confidentiality issue. I just asked whether there was, because I wasn't sure that there wouldn't be.  A priori, I thought ACCA might make a distinction between publishing live information (which is in the public interest) and historical information, which arguably is not in the public interest.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By MDK45
19th Aug 2015 07:27

This is ten minutes of my life I can't get back....

Thanks (1)
Share this content