Share this content

Accountant's letter for Home office

Who can issue a letter to Home Office

Didn't find your answer?


I recently helped the new customer with SA and had to issue a letter confirming that I act on their behalf etc.. to Home Office. I'm CIMA qualified with 7years + post qual experience. However, solicitors have rejected my letter and said to the client that they need to get a letter from a qualified accountant. 

Could someone advise why CIMA is not an acceptable qualification for providing letter to clients and what needs to be done to become eligible to issue these types of letters?

Many thanks,

Replies (2)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By paul.benny
02nd Jul 2019 06:48

Push back to the solicitor who rejected it. Ask them for the definition (or a reference to the relevant statute).

Either (a) they are wrong or (b) you will find a definitive answer.

Thanks (0)
By Wanderer
02nd Jul 2019 07:47

Push it back, from CLP Legal Practice Guides - Immigration Law 2018:-

The accountant must have a valid licence to practice or practising certificate and must be a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland, the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland, the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants, the Association of Authorised Public Accountants, the Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, the Institute of Financial Accountants, the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, the Association of International Accountants or the Association of Accounting Technicians.
Thanks (0)
Share this content

Related posts