Share this content

Allowances for working abroad?

Self employed working abroad

Didn't find your answer?

Hi all,

I hope all is going well for you this January.

I have only one remaining problem this tax season, so I guess that does make me lucky.

My client worked abroad for a week or two at a time, around 3 times over the course of the year. She has said that she has been told that she can claim all her costs (hotels etc) PLUS £50 per day.

I can't find anything like this for the self employed, but she is adament although this is the professionals equivalent of 'A mate down the pub told me', so I thought I would check here to see if I have missed an allowance or guideline somewhere.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

Replies (2)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Jdopus
28th Jan 2020 09:01

As far as I'm aware there's no strict rule for the self employed. They're supposed to claim actual costs.

What I expect is that your client has received advice about the international subsistence scale rates for employees.

These don't cover sole traders, but personally, I might be comfortable with arguing to HMRC that they could be used as a reasonable approximation of the costs a client would incur while travelling abroad if receipts can't be produced. It's a bit of a grey area so you'll have to use your own judgement.

Thanks (1)
Replying to Jdopus:
By enoryt010
28th Jan 2020 10:42

Thank you for your help on this.
That was my thoughts, because I found it strange that a self employed person could get an unexplained allowance out of the goodness of the government's heart.

The only thing I was able to find was the scale rates, so it was only likely to be one or the other.

Thank you again. It is very much appreciated.

Thanks (0)
Share this content

Related posts