Share this content

Amortisation not previously claimed as a tax-allowable item

Amortisation not previously claimed as a tax...

A colleague referred a query to me.

He's interviewed a new potential client who incorporated his sole trader business in 2008, having started up in business in 2004.

His current adviser had added back amortisation expenses on the goodwill in the company tax computations, presumably not realising it would have been tax-allowable.

The query is whether the unclaimed amortisation in 2008 and 2009 could be set off against the 2010 tax charge or whether amended returns would have needed to have been submitted.

If the set-off is possible for 2010, what would be the most appropriate way of presenting the charge on the CT600 and accompanying tax comp?


Please login or register to join the discussion.

By pateldr
13th Jan 2011 12:07

Amend returns

It appears that the prior returns should be amended under the overpayment relief provisions (the replacement for the old Error or mistake relief).

Thanks (0)
13th Jan 2011 15:11

How is it allowable?

On what basis is own generated goodwill from a related party allowable?

If he had purchased the company from an unrelated third party and paid for goodwill, I can see that this would be allowable.

Have I missed something or is the original accountant correct?

Thanks (0)
By frauke
13th Jan 2011 16:31

I have this saved as a useful link!

Previous discussion explaining when allowable under related party rules


Thanks (0)
14th Jan 2011 10:33

Thanks for that - I obviously missed this at some point in the past - wont make the same mistake again!!

Thanks (0)
Share this content