Apostle Accounting

Rip Off Britain

Didn't find your answer?

Did anybody see this ?   Or were you too busy to watch day-time TV ?

Well, it's available on iPlayer for the rest of the month.  Series 15, Ep 18, first 15 mins or so.

Nothing world-shattering about the taxpayers' stories but some interesting comments from a lass who works for HMRC which are worth hearing.

Replies (33)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

avatar
By Matrix
07th Oct 2023 19:11

A lass, Lion?! Do you watch Question Time too?

It’s not fair on their customers if the most digitally advanced tax authority is unable to spot a 5 figure sum due to multiple employees with the same agent bank account details. So has to ask for it back.

Thanks (0)
Replying to Matrix:
avatar
By Samantha20
09th Oct 2023 09:27

Yes, it made my blood boil.

Millions of pounds of taxpayer money given away and then HMRC try to claw it back from ignorant taxpayers causing them mental illness and probably making them bankrupt in the process.

HMRC are a disgrace. They could have done something about this 10+ years ago.

They are a bunch of useless muppets.

Thanks (3)
Replying to Samantha20:
RLI
By lionofludesch
09th Oct 2023 12:21

Samantha20 wrote:

Yes, it made my blood boil.

Millions of pounds of taxpayer money given away and then HMRC try to claw it back from ignorant taxpayers causing them mental illness and probably making them bankrupt in the process.

HMRC are a disgrace. They could have done something about this 10+ years ago.

They are a bunch of useless muppets.

To be fair, the taxpayers have actually had most of the money.

Thanks (0)
Replying to lionofludesch:
avatar
By Samantha20
09th Oct 2023 12:34

To be fair, the taxpayers have actually had most of the money.

[/quote]

Yes, they did, but they have to pay it all back including the 25% cut that Apostle took. Apostle have taken millions and will not have to pay a penny back. Also, a lot of the tax payers will just declare themselves bankrupt so we will not see a penny of the money again.

Thanks (0)
Replying to Samantha20:
RLI
By lionofludesch
09th Oct 2023 12:58

Samantha20 wrote:

To be fair, the taxpayers have actually had most of the money.

Yes, they did, but they have to pay it all back including the 25% cut that Apostle took. Apostle have taken millions and will not have to pay a penny back. Also, a lot of the tax payers will just declare themselves bankrupt so we will not see a penny of the money again.

[/quote]

24% - 20% + VAT.

I had a fella come to me six or seven years ago; he worked for the CNC (armed police at Sellafield and other nuclear sites). He lived not far from our house and stayed up in Egremont when he was working. A few of them banded together and rented a house up there. Anyway, he claimed that his mates had been claiming tax relief on these costs and had been paid out. I was a bit sceptical, being 97% sure that he couldn't claim but he was so adamant that I actually wrote to HMRC to check whether there was some concession for this rather specialised work.

They said no, I told him no and he went away. No idea whether he made any further attempt to claim or not but I did wonder last week whether his mates had been advised by some Apostle-type firm.

Thanks (0)
Replying to Samantha20:
RLI
By lionofludesch
09th Oct 2023 12:58

.

Thanks (0)
Replying to Samantha20:
avatar
By MikeyMad
09th Oct 2023 13:23

I have seen the numbers, as 1 guy was compiling them all, and BBC rip off britian got the numbers wrong, he has 800 people on the list and between them HMRC are asking them to pay back approx £3.5m, so what is being asked to pay back includes 24% plus backdated interest on the total amount, The affected are now accepting they need to pay what they got back, but paying apostles fees plus the staggering interest is crippling people.

Thanks (0)
Replying to Samantha20:
avatar
By MikeyMad
09th Oct 2023 13:41

it is clear that HMRC is so broken, its a disgrace, sending out wrong letters, breaching personal data, sending out letters that are just completely false, a proper system should have flagged what was going on in the first year, not enable it to keep going, the lifestyle it funded for the founder of Apostle Accounting is clear to see if you look hard enough.......

Thanks (0)
Replying to MikeyMad:
avatar
By Samantha20
09th Oct 2023 14:38

MikeyMad wrote:

it is clear that HMRC is so broken, its a disgrace, sending out wrong letters, breaching personal data, sending out letters that are just completely false, a proper system should have flagged what was going on in the first year, not enable it to keep going, the lifestyle it funded for the founder of Apostle Accounting is clear to see if you look hard enough.......

Exactly. The woman from HMRC who was on Rip Off Britain was saying that HMRC was going to make sure agents were registered etc. These are systems that they could have put in place years ago. Instead, they pay out cash to anyone who applies.

It is a disgrace and they are not fit for purpose.

Thanks (1)
Replying to Samantha20:
RLI
By lionofludesch
09th Oct 2023 14:50

Samantha20 wrote:

Exactly. The woman from HMRC who was on Rip Off Britain was saying that HMRC was going to make sure agents were registered etc.

Surely they're already registered.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Tom+Cross
08th Oct 2023 07:31

The last accounts filed suggest (state) that the company has no employees?
You wonder who the AMLR supervisor is.

Thanks (1)
Replying to Tom+Cross:
avatar
By JB101
09th Oct 2023 12:54

The last accounts also show a negative proposed dividend in creditors so I'm not convinced they are very reliable!

Thanks (2)
Replying to Tom+Cross:
avatar
By MikeyMad
09th Oct 2023 13:29

The founder of Apostle is all over Linkedin touting for business under the new company she set up which is called innovate accountancy, all the same staff, same reviews etc. Theres multiple small claims actions in process, and Apostle is failing on all front for SAr requests made by clients too, stating they dont have the time to do it/need more time to do it, but plenty of time to spout garbage on Linkedin

Thanks (2)
avatar
By B Roberts
09th Oct 2023 09:09

I saw this - very interesting.

The person involved is always very busy on LinkedIn as an industry influencer and has a number of equally busy and well known accounting industry supporters.

Thanks (0)
avatar
By pauld
09th Oct 2023 10:47

HMRC are surely at fault here issuing large repayments with no checks and then charging penalties when finally catch up. Apostle have bagged a lot of money for themselves with no comeback - very wrong indeed.

If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. The taxpayers had no breakdown of expenses but still quite happy to go ahead as maybe the temptation of a large refund was too good to be missed and so stopped them from asking too many questions and carrying out their own due diligence -surely if someone tells you you can claim £19K in expenses, wouldn't alarm bells ring?

Thanks (0)
Replying to pauld:
avatar
By Samantha20
09th Oct 2023 11:02

It is all HMRC's fault. This sort of scam has been going on for years and they do nothing about it.

Thanks (0)
David Winch
By David Winch
09th Oct 2023 11:30

One thing that I have learned from dealing with criminal cases is that there are very often two sides to the coin. The accountant featured in the BBC piece has rebutted any suggestions of misconduct on the part of her firm. This may be the last we hear of it.
David

Thanks (2)
Replying to davidwinch:
avatar
By MikeyMad
09th Oct 2023 13:35

ersou are investigating, and people have been jailed for similar actions, the sheer amount of people affected , all from a small accountancy firm will mean it won go away, Apostle may think this will go away, but it is definitely not, even Penny Mordant made comments on it "It is clear what needs to happen in regards to that comapny"

Thanks (0)
avatar
By Justin Bryant
09th Oct 2023 14:59

It's essentially no different to self-assessed BBL fraud (i.e. pay out first, ask questions later). Just on a much, much smaller scale. It would be funny if it wasn't our hard earned taxes be defrauded.

Thanks (1)
Mark Lee headshot 2023
By Mark Lee
09th Oct 2023 15:46

There's a post on the Tax Advice Network Linkedin page with commentary on this case along with links to when BBC's Watchdog first 'featured' Apostle Accounting and when a local MP talked about them too. There's also a link to the defence that was mounted by the company disputing the allegations. And loads of comments by Zoe who started Apostle and has now moved onto run Innovate Accountancy.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7084562186685046788

Thanks (0)
Replying to bookmarklee:
avatar
By B Roberts
09th Oct 2023 15:59

bookmarklee wrote:

There's a post on the Tax Advice Network Linkedin page with commentary on this case along with links to when BBC's Watchdog first 'featured' Apostle Accounting and when a local MP talked about them too. There's also a link to the defence that was mounted by the company disputing the allegations. And loads of comments by Zoe who started Apostle and has now moved onto run Innovate Accountancy.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:7084562186685046788

Oh dear, you have upset that Hugo chap (he "likes" every single post that Zoe makes on LinkedIn).

Zoe also claims to be "qualified", but did not respond to your question as to whether she was qualified as a book keeper or an accountant.

At least Zoe refers to HMRC as "HMRC" and not "the HMRC" as Hugo does repeatedly (sorry, this is a pet annoyance of mine).

As is often the case on social media, rather than reply/debate (ideally with facts), Hugo accused you of being "mysoginistic" and Zoe reminded you of the "me too" compaign!

Thanks (1)
Replying to B Roberts:
avatar
By MikeyMad
10th Oct 2023 09:45

the hugo chap haha, David Hugo Hargreaves, he works very very closely with Zoe, she was even named as "Head of Accounting and Tax" at David's company Synergy Accountants, but when it got noisy they removed her from the website, and replaced with someone else, David defends Zoe with a passion, how much passion maybe should be the question ? ;), there is so much evidence and facts on the facebook group, theres lots of speculation, but there's also lost of posts that are based on actual evidence and facts, the group is called Apostle Accounting - whose been affected. LSHE holdings which now controls Apostle is registered at JSM in Peterborough, which is run by Joshua Tharby, who loves to give tax advice to people from Dubai (how to legally pay less tax etc)

Thanks (2)
Replying to MikeyMad:
avatar
By B Roberts
10th Oct 2023 10:47

MikeyMad wrote:

the hugo chap haha, David Hugo Hargreaves, he works very very closely with Zoe, she was even named as "Head of Accounting and Tax" at David's company Synergy Accountants, but when it got noisy they removed her from the website, and replaced with someone else, David defends Zoe with a passion, how much passion maybe should be the question ? ;), there is so much evidence and facts on the facebook group, theres lots of speculation, but there's also lost of posts that are based on actual evidence and facts, the group is called Apostle Accounting - whose been affected. LSHE holdings which now controls Apostle is registered at JSM in Peterborough, which is run by Joshua Tharby, who loves to give tax advice to people from Dubai (how to legally pay less tax etc)

Ah that makes sense - Hugo is always very complimentary when the photogenic Zoe posts her regular photo's on LinkedIn.

Looking at Apostle accounts - the most recent (2022) shows P&L Reserves of £178k compared to £885k the previous year - I wonder caused the £700k reduction ?

Anyway, let's forget about Apostle now we have a brand new shiny business providing accountancy services.

Thanks (1)
Replying to B Roberts:
avatar
By MikeyMad
16th Oct 2023 15:58

£700k reduction? I guess a lavish lifestyle, they have been spotted in a Bentley before, putting cash offshore?, into the new business innovate accountancy?, paying for awards?, professional photography to show off all the cosmetic work the founder has had done?, quite a stark difference to before and after when you look.....
it will all come out where the money has gone if prosecuted..........

Thanks (0)
avatar
By MikeyMad
23rd Oct 2023 08:54

Zoe Goodchild is now attempting to voluntarily wind down Apostle Accounting

Thanks (0)
Replying to MikeyMad:
RLI
By lionofludesch
04th Dec 2023 11:05

The Goodchilds need prosecuting.

Thanks (0)
Replying to lionofludesch:
avatar
By MikeyMad
04th Dec 2023 11:18

in light of this former Apostle staff members comments, I think ERSOU and HMRC now need to take this up a level, the comments clearly indicate something was not right at this firm, their actions driven by greed and only in the best interests for themselves, and not the clients

Thanks (0)
Replying to lionofludesch:
avatar
By FactChecker
04th Dec 2023 11:43

As per OP's reference to Rip Off Britain, it's less friction for HMRC if they chase the taxpayers (and leave them to 'sort out their dispute with the tax agent')!

Otherwise HMRC would do the obvious thing as a preventative measure ... only issue repayments *after* they've checked/approved the claim - NOT pay first and then ask questions later.

Whilst I agree with your view, we all know that the legal system isn't good at tackling financial fraud (too expensive for individuals and deemed too hard to prove for CPS).

Thanks (2)
Replying to FactChecker:
RLI
By lionofludesch
04th Dec 2023 12:23

FactChecker wrote:

As per OP's reference to Rip Off Britain, it's less friction for HMRC if they chase the taxpayers (and leave them to 'sort out their dispute with the tax agent')!

Otherwise HMRC would do the obvious thing as a preventative measure ... only issue repayments *after* they've checked/approved the claim - NOT pay first and then ask questions later.

Whilst I agree with your view, we all know that the legal system isn't good at tackling financial fraud (too expensive for individuals and deemed too hard to prove for CPS).

Prosecute them anyway.

While they're being dragged through the courts, they're not cheating their clients.

Thanks (0)
Replying to FactChecker:
Mark Lee headshot 2023
By Mark Lee
05th Dec 2023 16:41

FactChecker wrote:
Otherwise HMRC would do the obvious thing as a preventative measure ... only issue repayments *after* they've checked/approved the claim - NOT pay first and then ask questions later.

Hmm. 'Process now, check later' has been an integral part of the self assessment tax system since it started in the late 1990s. Negative consequences follow when HMRC suspend this, as they have done recently with R&D claims.

Thanks (0)
Replying to bookmarklee:
RLI
By lionofludesch
05th Dec 2023 16:51

bookmarklee wrote:

Hmm. 'Process now, check later' has been an integral part of the self assessment tax system since it started in the late 1990s. Negative consequences follow when HMRC suspend this, as they have done recently with R&D claims.

No harm in setting a threshold, though.

Thanks (1)