Share this content

Can these property losses be carried back?

Can these property losses be carried back?

I’d appreciate any input on this please.

Husband and wife own a rental property. The property was a furnished holiday rental for many years, then a furnished long term let for 5 years. The long term tenant left the property damaged (December 2011 when the tenant left). Husband and wife decided to turn it back into a furnished holiday let following repair to damage. Repairs have been carried out between January 2012 and November 2012, and were due to be completed along with the first booking in December 2012.

November 2012 a landslide rendered the land around the property unsafe and halted the repairs. The current news is that it won’t be safe to even get close to the property until spring 2013 (possibly April 2013). Even then the property could be demolished because of the unsafe land. Meaning the December 2012 booking can no longer go head, neither can any further bookings until the situation is clear.

Can any losses be carried back here?


Please login or register to join the discussion.

By dreamcatcher
04th Dec 2012 15:02

Capital or revenue

For it comes down to whether the work done was of a capital or revenue nature.

Don't forget the recent changes to furnished holiday let.

Is this property located in Whitby, North Yorkshire by any chance?

Thanks (0)
04th Dec 2012 15:52


The repairs should mostly fall under revenue...patching up holes in walls, replacing part of a burnt worktop etc.

Thanks (0)
Share this content