CGT on UK Property Return for Trust

Didn't find your answer?

Hi there

I am having great difficulty getting to the right place to report a trust's CGT liability on the disposal of a UK property. Hoping someone can help! The Trustee has setup a Government Gateway Account and I have obtained agent authorisation but when coming to draft the return, I only get the option of completing the return for a) the trustee as an individual client b) a person who made the disposal before they died (as personal representative) or c) for the estate of a person and the property was sold after they died. Is anybody able to point me in the right direction? TIA

Replies (2)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By ireallyshouldknowthisbut
31st Aug 2021 16:19

I am guessing the trustee hasn't set up an account for the Trust, but for themselves?

Not had to do one yet so I am guessing. But ultimately if its taking too long, just do the paper form. You can call up and get one and once you have one you can keep using it.

Thanks (0)
Replying to ireallyshouldknowthisbut:
By SteveHa
31st Aug 2021 16:24

Seconded - paper form. If HMRC make their IT systems too complicated to actually use, then what other option is there.

If it helps, I had to do a paper CGT return for a non resident disposal, which was submitted late. Grounds for (pre-emptive) appeal against penalties was HMRC convoluted and inadequate systems did not allow the online submission. Result - no penalties.

Thanks (0)