Share this content

Charge VAT? UK consultant, Non-EU client

What is the VAT treatment for a UK based consultant supplies services to a Non-EU client (Canadian)


Does anyone know the correct treatment for the following scenario:

B2C - UK based consultant providing services via Skype to a Canadian based client. UK based consultant is VAT registered.

Please provide the appropriate advice from HMRC if you can.



Please login or register to join the discussion.

By jcace
27th Apr 2018 09:41

The appropriate advice from HMRC that you require is found in their VAT Notice 741A

Thanks (1)
27th Apr 2018 12:16

If unsure send a description of the activities to HMRC, tell them your view and why and ask them to confirm it.

They probably won't but at least you have evidence for a tribunal. If you have told them what you intend to do and asked if they accept that and they don't tell you not to they don't really have a leg to stand on.

Thanks (0)
27th Apr 2018 17:56

Thank you both for your advice. I think 741A does state that it is outside the scope of VAT (consultant services to a non-EU based customer) but I will send them an email just to be sure. Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

Thanks (0)
Share this content