Share this content

Claim additional relief through SA?

Teachers pension contribution

hi all I just want to check in case I am missing something.

teacher pays into teachers pension scheme salary circa £40k with 4K pension contributions.

other income takes total income into the higher rate of tax to £60k

so the pension contributions would go into the tax return to extend the basic rate band to save tax at the higher rate? 

Many thanks 


Please login or register to join the discussion.

24th May 2018 00:11

Depends if contributions were net or gross. Last time I checked for a teacher I know, it was from gross pay, therefore no additional tax relief was due

Thanks (0)
By PBH64
to Carl London
24th May 2018 09:12

The net pay arrangements give marginal rate relief. The contributions come off before the taxable pay is calculated.

Thanks (0)
24th May 2018 09:15

You don't necessarily need a SA return for this.

Check the position and make a claim by letter.

Thanks (0)
Share this content