Closing company and late filing

My company isn’t trading and I have late filing fees

Didn't find your answer?

Hello Everyone,

i opened a company in june 2021 and all online and my company isn't trading i have done filing in 2022 and the filing was late honestly I didn't know about there's a late filing fees as this is my first time and i got 750£ and then they send it to court and its now 930£ the company isn't trading and I didn't profit anything from it and when i file it I filed it as dorment company and now the deadline for the filing was 30 of April 2024 and I filed it on time but as theres a process and i'm from different country and all that virtually the accepted the filing on 2 of may 2024 which is after three days i supreise to get a letter from them demanding 300£ only for three days after the deadline and on their list its should be 150£ I don't know why they require this amount for only three days. So my question is if I close the company will it remove this fees from me?

Replies (12)

Comments for this post are now closed.

the sea otter
By memyself-eye
11th May 2024 17:34

Fees?
penalties, maybe.
There are folks that can help: they are called accountants.
Hire one.
Make all this go away.

Thanks (1)
avatar
By FactChecker
11th May 2024 17:48

"opened a company in june 2021 and all online and my company isn't trading"

Not clear whether company has EVER traded (or merely now ceased)?

But "honestly I didn't know" and "i'm from different country" are wholly irrelevant.
There are responsibilities & liabilities that follow from the 1st second that you set-up a UK company - and failing to comply with the rules WILL lead to penalties & fines.

Take the life lesson before you contemplate repeating the exercise - but if you want to sort out the current situation then you need to appoint an accountant.

Thanks (2)
Replying to FactChecker:
avatar
By Montather Rassoul
11th May 2024 18:03

Sorry for the terms I know there’s a liabilities but what i meant here is the communication first I’m renting virtual office services and they have a post services and whenever I receive a post they scan it and send it and it takes a while like for example the last letter I received its issued 3rd of may and I received it yesterday . I’m a Management consultant and when I opened this company I was planning to expand my business but couldn’t open a bank account each time they reject it i tried many banks who is partners with this virtual services so there’s no point of operating without a bank account that i can receive in it. But i kept paying to virtual services just to keep the record of the company. And the problem is all this penalties without any income from the company and that why i raised my question if i close it does i have to pay the late filing penalties or not .
And for hiring accountant yes its also a right move but as i mentioned i have small business and accountant will be great but currently I don’t have that much of money to afford one

Thanks (0)
Replying to Montather Rassoul:
avatar
By Montather Rassoul
11th May 2024 18:06

Montather Rassoul wrote:

Sorry for the terms I know there’s a liabilities but what i meant here is the communication first I’m renting virtual office services and they have a post services and whenever I receive a post they scan it and send it and it takes a while like for example the last letter I received its issued 3rd of may and I received it yesterday . I’m a Management consultant and when I opened this company I was planning to expand my business but couldn’t open a bank account each time they reject it i tried many banks who is partners with this virtual services so there’s no point of operating without a bank account that i can receive in it. But i kept paying to virtual services just to keep the record of the company. And the problem is all this penalties without any income from the company and that why i raised my question if i close it does i have to pay the late filing penalties or not .
And for hiring accountant yes its also a right move but as i mentioned i have small business and accountant will be great but currently I don’t have that much of money to afford one

But first when I started the company I didn’t know about these liabilities

Thanks (0)
Replying to Montather Rassoul:
RLI
By lionofludesch
11th May 2024 21:30

Montather Rassoul wrote:

Sorry for the terms I know there’s a liabilities but what i meant here is the communication first I’m renting virtual office services and they have a post services and whenever I receive a post they scan it and send it and it takes a while like for example the last letter I received its issued 3rd of may and I received it yesterday . I’m a Management consultant and when I opened this company I was planning to expand my business but couldn’t open a bank account each time they reject it i tried many banks who is partners with this virtual services so there’s no point of operating without a bank account that i can receive in it. But i kept paying to virtual services just to keep the record of the company. And the problem is all this penalties without any income from the company and that why i raised my question if i close it does i have to pay the late filing penalties or not .
And for hiring accountant yes its also a right move but as i mentioned i have small business and accountant will be great but currently I don’t have that much of money to afford one

If you can't afford an accountant, you can't afford a company.

As you have discovered.

Thanks (1)
avatar
By Leywood
11th May 2024 19:12

You need an Accountant. Ie to pay one.
Should have appointed one before you set up the company/rented virtual office es etc etc. then you wouldn’t be in the pickle that you are.

This forum is for professionals, not business owners looking for free tax and accountancy advice.

Thanks (1)
Replying to Leywood:
avatar
By Montather Rassoul
11th May 2024 21:52

Leywood wrote:

You need an Accountant. Ie to pay one.
Should have appointed one before you set up the company/rented virtual office es etc etc. then you wouldn’t be in the pickle that you are.

This forum is for professionals, not business owners looking for free tax and accountancy advice.


I don’t need free tax I already paid the taxes it’s just a question if i close do i have to pay the late filing that all and i found this website through the same question someone answer it before but in my case the previous year late filing added and i’m PhD in Business Administration so my field is near and we study accounting for three years but not UK system why all the answers here is mocking I spent my whole life helping people it’s just a question. now if i Hire an accountant the whole amount is 1230£ and the company is not profitable and I don’t see a feasibility to keeping it i have company in my country working fine but as i mentioned before i wanted to expand and when i mentioned I can’t afford it for the revenue of this company as specifically.
Did i asked wrong question??
Thanks (0)
Replying to Montather Rassoul:
avatar
By FactChecker
11th May 2024 22:46

"I don’t need free tax I already paid the taxes" ... you weren't being denied 'free tax', just 'free tax-and-accountancy advice'.

But, given that you can't get professional advice from a public forum and that you've supplied insufficient detail (not even answering previous questions from members), you only have two options: 1) appoint an accountant (whose fees to sort out this mess may well be less than the amount they can save you); or 2) have a go at it on your own.

Whilst the latter is not advised, you could start by searching through Google for relevant HMRC guidance - including https://www.gov.uk/tell-hmrc-your-company-is-dormant-for-corporation-tax (which may however not be relevant to your particular circumstances).

Thanks (2)
Replying to FactChecker:
avatar
By Montather Rassoul
11th May 2024 23:01

FactChecker wrote:

"I don’t need free tax I already paid the taxes" ... you weren't being denied 'free tax', just 'free tax-and-accountancy advice'.

But, given that you can't get professional advice from a public forum and that you've supplied insufficient detail (not even answering previous questions from members), you only have two options: 1) appoint an accountant (whose fees to sort out this mess may well be less than the amount they can save you); or 2) have a go at it on your own.

Whilst the latter is not advised, you could start by searching through Google for relevant HMRC guidance - including https://www.gov.uk/tell-hmrc-your-company-is-dormant-for-corporation-tax (which may however not be relevant to your particular circumstances).


Thank you so much for your answer i just want to understand more about the case and the solution for it I already filed everything but it was about the late submission and how overall the system work Thank you again gor the answer
Thanks (0)
RLI
By lionofludesch
11th May 2024 23:05

Late is late, I'm afraid. Three years, three days, three minutes, three milliseconds - it doesn't matter.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to learn my profession in one jurisdiction then practise it in another. Accounting I could probably cope with but taxation would be like starting from scratch. Take this as you wish but the future looks bleak unless you get yourself up to speed with UK law.

As to your current problem, apply to strike the company off and hope no-one objects.

Thanks (0)
Replying to lionofludesch:
avatar
By Montather Rassoul
11th May 2024 23:21

lionofludesch wrote:

Late is late, I'm afraid. Three years, three days, three minutes, three milliseconds - it doesn't matter.

To be honest, I wouldn't want to learn my profession in one jurisdiction then practise it in another. Accounting I could probably cope with but taxation would be like starting from scratch. Take this as you wish but the future looks bleak unless you get yourself up to speed with UK law.

As to your current problem, apply to strike the company off and hope no-one objects.


Thank you so much , Any project comes to me in finance or in accounting I would directly hand it to one of my specialized finance managers and sometimes they ask me why doctor you don’t do it by yourself and you study it before i tell them no you are more qualified than me for my whole career but some of the comments pushed me to say that like saying there’s something called accountant ! I respect all the specializations all i want is an answer as i saw there’s a post about that previously published and it’s the first website appeared to me . uk system is very big and our regulations and guidelines is totally different so i’m outsider and in my age is hard to read all the regulations and understand it directly in this period I learned many things but still there’s a lot to learn so if my question wrong sorry guys and I want to apologize
Thanks (0)
avatar
By Montather Rassoul
13th May 2024 01:11

Thank you for your professionalism

Thanks (0)