Share this content

Completing a SA return after PTA

Client received letter saying they no longer need to file a tax return.

Didn't find your answer?

I've received a letter telling me a client no longer needs to complete a tax return. This will be due to the fact she has taken a small salary and dipped into her pension to grow her business over the last few years. No other income.The letter states "if you need to fill in a tax return in the future, you'll have to register for SA again"

This year she will take dividends and have to complete a SA again. If she doesnt register for SA again and I file a return will this be rejected, will it go through but not be accepted if she hasnt regregistered ending in a penalty? 

This will be a nightmare to adminsinister if clients fall in and out of SA on a regular basis. Being a sceptic it looks like HMRC waiting for people to balls it up.

Also is it just me or has the spell checker dissappeared? Was there ever a spell checker here?

Replies (4)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Wanderer
19th May 2020 08:46

In my experience you can just prepare and file it via software. It will go through with no problems.

Thanks (1)
Replying to Wanderer:
By rob winder
19th May 2020 08:51

Thanks I hoped/thought that would be the case.

Thanks (0)
By gainsborough
19th May 2020 09:24

I have the same issue with a client who has rental income in sporadic years and has been sent the same letter. I just intend to file an unsolicited tax return but agree with you that, for unrepresented taxpayers, many are going to get caught out by this.

Thanks (0)
By Michael Davies
19th May 2020 09:52

Yep it won’t get rejected.

Thanks (0)
Share this content