I have a client who has now ceased trading, so would like to deregister for VAT. I accessed my (orignal) agent login with HMRC to do this, click on 'deregister for VAT' and get this message:
Your client has signed up for Making Tax Digital for VAT so you cannot submit their returns using VAT online services.
In order to submit VAT returns for your client under Making Tax Digital you'll need:
- an agent services account - this is different to your HMRC online services for agents account
- software that's compatible with Making Tax Digital for VAT that can link to your client's digital records
Check the step by step guidance for agents to find software and create an agent services account.
Sign in using your agent services account if you want to:
- set up, cancel or amend a direct debit
- make payments by bank transfer, debit or corporate credit card
- tell HMRC about a change of circumstances
When I login to the new 'agent services account' that we set up, there are no services set up so no access to my client's VAT.
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm on hold with HMRC at the moment (30 minutes and counting!) will have to hang up shortly as I have a meeting.