Share this content
0
500

Employee eye tests

Do I need to pay for these?

One of my team went to the doctors last night and they recommended her getting an eye test.

The doctor said that her employer would "sort this out".

I have never been asked this before but am I liable to pay for all my staff's eye tests?

Replies

Please login or register to join the discussion.

avatar
09th Jan 2019 11:21

@ nmprobinson (OP)

The following link to the Health and Safety Executive site should enable you to both answer your question and provide more general guidance:-

http://www.hse.gov.uk/msd/dse/eyetests.htm

Basil.

Thanks (1)
By mrme89
09th Jan 2019 11:30

You don't say whether or not this employee is a DSE user. If they are, then they come under the Health and Safety (Display Screen
Equipment) Regulations 1992:

The duty for an employer to provide an eye and eyesight test when requested to do so by a DSE
user.

Specsavers are always offering free eye tests. Perhaps you could steer your employee to a preferred optician?

Given how common this is, I'm surprised that a) you aren't aware of your responsilbilities as an employer and b) that you are quibbling over what, £15, £20?

Thanks (0)
to mrme89
09th Jan 2019 11:58

mrme89 wrote:

You don't say whether or not this employee is a DSE user. If they are, then they come under the Health and Safety (Display Screen
Equipment) Regulations 1992:

The duty for an employer to provide an eye and eyesight test when requested to do so by a DSE
user.

Specsavers are always offering free eye tests. Perhaps you could steer your employee to a preferred optician?

Given how common this is, I'm surprised that a) you aren't aware of your responsilbilities as an employer and b) that you are quibbling over what, £15, £20?

Maybe they have 500 staff and don't want to set a precedent that will cost them £7,500 - £10,000!

Thanks (1)
By mrme89
to Constantly Confused
09th Jan 2019 12:05

If they had 500 staff, one would hope they employed a HR professional that would have answered this in a matter of a couple of seconds.

Thanks (0)
to mrme89
09th Jan 2019 12:14

This is really the reason I stopped using forums like this. I just wanted a bit of friendly advice. Which I got from the first reply. That should be the end of it. You might be surprised but I was not aware it was my responsibility. But if it is then I am certainly not trying to "get out" of paying anything.

Thanks (1)
avatar
to nmprobinson
09th Jan 2019 12:38

nmprobinson wrote:

I just wanted a bit of friendly advice. Which I got from the first reply.

Best endorsement of this forum I've ever seen.

nmprobinson wrote:

This is really the reason I stopped using forums like this.

Yeah, stick with this one, not those other ones that pretend to be like it.

Thanks (0)
avatar
09th Jan 2019 13:00

Specsavers voucher scheme makes it quite straightforward (including providing basic specs where needed), others may be available too...

Thanks (0)
Share this content