Share this content

Ex-employee overpayment - payroll treatment

How should corrections of overpayments be made to the payroll

Didn't find your answer?

If a company pays their employees mid month (e.g. 2 weeks arrears/2 weeks advance), how should it correct an employees pay if they walk out after being paid having not completed a full month of work?

Example: employee A paid £2,000 (net) for February on 14th February (payslip shows £3,000 gross and £1,000 PAYE/NI). Employee A walks out 15th February effectively having only earned £1,500 gross pay (or £1,000 net) and now effectively owes the company £1,000 (net).

Should the February payroll be re-opened and employee A's gross be adjusted and payslip re-issued showing gross of £1,500, taxes £500, "advance" £2,000 so £1,000 due back to the employer?

Or should a correction be put through on the March payroll?

If adjusting February, does that mean a resubmission of the FPS?

If the overpayment isn't recovered, can the company be chased for the PAYE/NI by HMRC on the basis that the ex-employee has received the money net (irrespective of whether they have earned it)

Replies (0)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

There are currently no replies, be the first to post a reply.

Share this content