Share this content

Help with moving abroad and split year treatment

I'm looking for an accountant familiar with international taxation and split year treatment

Didn't find your answer?

Search AccountingWEB

My wife and I are moving to Portugal at the start of November and are looking for a UK accountant to assist with the tax administration and self assessment filings. I am an IT contractor and the director of a personal service company (which I plan to shut down) and my wife is self employed. We'll be starting a new company in Portugal and will both be directors. Our existing accountant has recommended we find someone who is more familiar with international taxation as it is not something they have much experience of. If that person had any knowledge of Portuguese tax and the NHR in particular that would be useful, but not essential as we will be taking advice on this in Portugal. When I have searched online for help the results seem to cater for ultra high net worth individuals who are looking to reduce their international tax bill! 

Primarily we need assistance in filing our returns for the 2018/2019 tax year taking the split year treatment into account (which I believe should apply to us) and from then on filing an annual return to account for UK rental income as we are letting out our flat. We have yet to file our 2017/2018 tax returns and I suspect we may also be able to apply for a reduction in our tax on account as we are leaving the UK part way through the tax year. From what I have read it is not possible to file using HMRC self assessment online unless you are a UK resident, so I believe this would require custom software.

If anyone is potentially able to help with this please let me know. It would be useful to discuss further and find out the costs involved.

Many thanks

Replies (1)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By paras007
08th Oct 2018 09:42

You are correct that you cannot file your tax return online as HMRC does not provide the 'non-residence' pages online. Your alternative, other than software is to file on paper, normally by 31 October.

From what you state, it is probable that your most 'complicated' year will be 2018/19. 2019/20 onwards should be relatively straightforward.

Thanks (0)
Share this content