Share this content

Higher rate on lump sum

Didn't find your answer?

If you've received a 25% tax free pension lump sum, but due to other income are then a higher rate tax payer for the year, I'm assuming that additional tax will be due on the lump sum. I've looked all through the tax return to try and see how to do this but am no further forwards! Please could someone let me know which boxes I should be using, or point me in the direction of some guidance/notes?  (or confirm that there's some unlikely loophole where you don't have to pay anything additional!!)

Many thanks

Replies (6)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

avatar
By DMGbus
21st Jan 2017 17:23

Tax free means tax free, means doesn't go on the tax return, means no tax to pay on the lump sum.

Thanks (1)
Replying to DMGbus:
avatar
By BudgetB
21st Jan 2017 17:29

Really?! HMRC don't take the opportunity to penalise you for going into the higher rate bracket...wow

Thanks (0)
Replying to BudgetB:
avatar
By DMGbus
21st Jan 2017 17:52

The higher rates of tax (if applicable) are applied to income that is not tax-free.

Thanks (1)
Replying to BudgetB:
.
By Cheshire
21st Jan 2017 22:24

Same with the first chunk (£30k) of redundancy pay

Thanks (0)
Replying to Cheshire:
avatar
By BudgetB
22nd Jan 2017 09:56

Now strangely I wouldn't have questioned that one - not sure why I thought it about the pensions, every day's a school day!

Thanks (0)
Sparkly Orange
By Sparkly
21st Jan 2017 18:47

If you have only taken out 25% of the value of your Pension pot it is tax free just remember that when you withdraw from the remaining 75% of the pot that it is not tax free and is taxable at your highest rate of tax.

Thanks (1)
Share this content