Share this content

Housing benefit and use of home claim

Housing benefit and use of home for business claim

Didn't find your answer?

If a trade is carried out from a home which is rented and housing benefit is received is it necessary to reduce the rent paid by this benefit before calculating the claim for use of home?

It seems obvious that you need to do so, but I am always bothered by the word 'obvious'. Any views on the possibility of not doing so?

Replies (2)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Accountant A
17th Jan 2018 17:06

If you haven't incurred the (full) cost, how can you claim tax relief for it?

Thanks (1)
By bernard michael
18th Jan 2018 09:51

Surely you have to notify the housing benefit issuing local authority if the property is used for business purposes. Be careful the tax benefit may offset the loss of housing benefit

Thanks (0)
Share this content

Related posts