How long should I keep PI run-off?

I advised a local CA firm on VAT matters a few years ago on a freelance basis.

Didn't find your answer?

I trained with HMCE, worked in private practice for a big 4 firm and another independent. I later advised a local firm of CA's on VAT matters. I am not in an institute as there was no formal qualification for VAT when I left HMCE. My fee levels for the freelance work were very modest but it's now 8 years since I did any freelance work, I now do case reporting as a freelance and retired from employed work last year. I might do some advisory work in the future but not at present. 

Replies (2)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By thomas34
02nd May 2018 12:47

It's up to you but I shall be getting cover for 6 years after I stop practising. You'll need to let us know more details about your case reporting i.e. it may be that you provide some sort of disclaimer for your work.

Thanks (0)
By FCExtraordinaire
02nd May 2018 16:06

"Cessation of practice"

Those ceasing to practise must make arrangements for the continued existence of adequate PII and FGI cover for a period of six years from the date of cessation. This is due to the fact that claims can be made at a later date for work undertaken whilst a member was in practice."

Taken from the ACCA guidelines - I think I would go with that.

Thanks (0)