Share this content

How to change Residential let to Holiday let

Didn't find your answer?

Hi.  A property has been a furnished residental let for a number of years.  The owner is now considering whether it should be a Holiday let.  I understand the rules regarding number of days it is made available for holiday let etc however is there anything that needs to be done to make the change from residential to holiday let, ie any forms to be submitted to HMRC?  Do HMRC have any issue with the property being changed from one to the other and does this impact the previous tax returns?  Thanks 

Replies (4)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Accountant A
13th Jan 2020 18:12

Have a word with your accountant. He/she will know the rules or be capable of researching them.

Thanks (0)
By Wanderer
13th Jan 2020 18:17

Yes, Maybe, No.

Thanks (0)
Hallerud at Easter
13th Jan 2020 18:25

There can also be occasions when property may be considered to have a RV and pay rates rather than Council Tax, suitable insurance dealing with the short term occupancy and possible non occupancy is maybe advisable and a review of fire safety within the premises should also be considered.

If in say Edinburgh I would not be surprised if apart from needing to register as a Landlord, as all landlords do, more regulation re holiday lets does not get introduced over this year and next- it is a very hot topic up here.

Thanks (0)
By Tax Dragon
14th Jan 2020 06:06

Don't forget VAT.

Thanks (0)
Share this content

Related posts