I need some (serious!) career advice. I have qualified as an ACA since 2016 (3yrs PQE) and am working in the big 4 audit. I have made a decision to move to industry due to various reasons. However, I am startled by the options and routes ahead of me and overthinking about the pros/cons of each decision. I thought you guys can help me answer some of my doubts based on your experience.
In summary, here is my future plan:
- Want to move to middle east in 5yrs therefore need some industry experience from UK before (i.e. do not want to go into an industry which would be useless in the global market)
- I want to move into group reporting/finance role and/or a finance role with commercial aspect in the role
- Plc vs SME move: Can someone tell me what is the implication of moving into finance function of an SME vs large corporations? If I move into SME role, will that limit my future options in large corporations?
- Industry choice: Is it true that whatever industry I land into, that will define my future choices in finance roles? e.g. if I move to a retail business's finance function, I will be limited to retail business jobs only?
- P/E backed businesses: Can anyone share experiences of working in a P/E backed group? I am worried that the job security and work/life balance will be sacrificed in these roles but does working in a P/E backed business increase your employability in future?
Thanks everyone. Apologies for the scattered questions but I thought I would only mention the relevant queries and not things that I have already decided for in my mind e.g. NO internal audit roles to consider.