I have a client who needs to file an NRCGT return but am not clear on how to calculate the liability.
- residential property acquired jointly by H&W in 2010, both UK resident at the time.
- H went non-res on 6 April 2015.
- W has remained UK resident. They are not separated.
- W gifted her half of the property to H during 2015/16. H inherits original base cost.
- Property sold in 2021 for a significant gain over the 2010 value, but less than the 2015 value.
How should the gain be calculated? Can we consider there to be two acquisitions and calculate the base cost for each 'half' using the most beneficial method?
I.e. can we claim rebasing on the half that H owned throughout, and use a standard CGT comp for the half that was transferred in 15/16?