Share this content

Property Letting Income

Tax Implications

Didn't find your answer?


I have a client whose wife owned a property, and when they got married in 1992, she let the property for a small income each month. The property is still in her maiden name

As the income was so low, below the tax, this lady thought she would not have to declare the income, and hence has never registered with HMRC

Would appreciate any answers of how to deal with this with HMRC

Many thanks






























































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































I have a client whose wife lived in a property, which was and still is in her maiden name and her home. When  they married in 1992, she started to let the property for a small amount each month, well below the tax bracket. She still lets out the property.

Does anyone know how to deal with this income, and how I declare it to HMRC?

Would appreciate any input



































































































































Replies (4)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By ireallyshouldknowthisbut
27th Apr 2021 13:39

Well is there any liability?

Thanks (0)
By Duggimon
27th Apr 2021 13:53

The first step would be to find out how much income she got from it, and how much other income she had over the same periods. Then assess what tax, if any, is due. Then report it to HMRC if necessary.

Thanks (0)
By Paul Crowley
27th Apr 2021 14:08

Other income is the issue
Amazed that people have such strange views
2 minute call to confirm that idea with HMRC, or was person worried that HMRC might have a different opinion?
Still think of 30 year savings in professional fees say £250 inc VAT £7,500
Ignorance pays dividends

Thanks (0)
By BudgetB
27th Apr 2021 14:28

This is quite a useful previous thread on this topic;

Thanks (0)
Share this content