Share this content

Property owned by non resident rented out

Rent collected by relative and declared through own tax return.

Didn't find your answer?

Came across this situation today and wonder if there are any issues with it?
Relative collects rent and declares income after expenses.  My main concerns are mortgage wouldn't be in their name so would interest be claimable and if properties are sold CGT issues?  The properties are BTL.

Replies (1)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Wilson Philips
12th Jul 2019 09:39

Of course there are issues with it. Unless it can be demonstrated that the UK resident is the beneficial owner of the properties, with the overseas relative holding them on trust, the UK relative has no business reporting the income etc on their own tax return.

Google "Non Resident Landlord Scheme" and "NRCGT"

Thanks (1)
Share this content

Related posts