Share this content

PRS/PPL extortion racket

If you have a TV in your office you need a music license

Didn't find your answer?

Search AccountingWEB

Someone called the office today. Asked if we had a TV license. Answer yes we do. Asked if we watched the World Cup last year in the office. Answer yes, a few staff members did.

It turns out you need a music license from the PRS/PPL because the broadcasters would have used some theme music or on an advert. They have the full weight of the law on their side and they have recorded the conversation saying the World Cup was watched. Now the best bit as we have over 5 members of staff they want £1,000 for last year and £1,000 for this year.

(Probably watching the budget live on BBC iplayer on your laptop in the office would fall foul of this).

The con is even better as the TV companies would have already paid for broadcasting it.

I think the problem is that most people know you have to pay for hold music. But these days the telehone system companies are supplying unlicensed music so the PRS/PPL are trying to generate some more income elsewhere.

Has anybody else come across this? I know ignorance of the law is no excuse but self-incriminating yourself without warning is just unfair.


Please login or register to join the discussion.

23rd Apr 2019 19:35

Rate seems high...

If your factory or office has an audible area of 100m2 or less and you only use "traditional" radio or television broadcasts, you may be
eligible for a concessionary licence fee of 50% of the annual fee in the 600m2 band. By "traditional" radio or television broadcasts, we
mean only the following broadcasts (however delivered):
> BBC national and local radio stations;
> all Independent National Radio stations and Independent Local Radio stations (as licensed by Ofcom and listed on as "Analogue: FM and AM" stations); and
> BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4, S4C and Five television broadcasts.
If your factory or office has an audible area of more than 100m2 then you will not be eligible for the concessionary licence fee,
regardless of whether you only use traditional broadcasts. Similarly, if you publicly perform sound recordings in your factory or office
by other means (such as CDs), whether in addition to or instead of traditional broadcasts, then you will not qualify for the
concessionary licence fee.

Check the tariffs on the website and see what you come up with...

Thanks (0)
23rd Apr 2019 22:56

Sounds like a scam call to me. In any case the premise is nonsense and can safely be ignored. Just write to them explaining that due to other staff working the sound was off and subtitles were being used. (Our TV never has sound on in the office).

Thanks (0)
Share this content