Share this content

registering a new partnership with HMRC

registering a new partnership with HMRC

I act for 2 indiiduals who after several years as self employed have now formed a partnership.  They have UTRs in their own right and now to complete their tax returns I need to register the partnership with HMRC, get a number, fill in the relevant forms etc.  HMRC advised that they couldn't set up the record over the phone - needed to fill in CWF1 - which I duly did and client sent it off to them a over month ago.  Trouble is HMRC now claim to have no record on their system of the new partnership application and I can't get to speak to anyone that can confirm whether the form has even been received - let alone if there is a problem.

I have tried the agent dedicated line for the individ, the self assessment helpline, a Longbenton number (I think) that someone gave me - and nothing.  No-one is claiming any responsibility anymore - apparently there was a tel. number out there but it has been "removed".  In the meantime the client is giving me grief and I'm losing my rag.

Any suggestions or confirmation that my experience isn't unique would be gratefully appreciated.


Please login or register to join the discussion.

By Guest1
03rd Nov 2009 08:33

Yes, a similar situation

happened to me. CWF1 submitted 8 September and marked "urgent please" -heard nothing further. Am I surprised? No!

I wouldn't mind, but the two partners need the Partnership UTR, to then set up a Paye scheme.

I know that there's a petition, which I've signed up to but, the last time I looked, only a few of us had put our name to the "motion". Is it really asking too much, for someone from HMRC, to visit this site and place honest and reliable comments as to why the "system" appears to be "unfit for purpose" on many and numerous occasions?

Sole practitioners, in particular, spend a disproportionate amount of time on what the client's regard as "admin tasks" but, if we take our "eye off the ball" we're the ones who take it in the neck. To have to chase, seemingly, basic matters is becoming a complete and utter joke.

Yes, there's the additional costs route but, at the end of the day, it all takes time, which is at a premium, in most offices, I assume?

These type of posts seem to appear on a daily if not more regular basis and isn't there the possibility that, say, Gina, could sound out the Revenue to see how we can bring about a more practical and time efficient solution. I'm sorry to put you in the frame Gina but you do seem to have some clout with these matters. Blokes just lose their temper!

Chris Mann

Thanks (0)
By Anonymous
03rd Nov 2009 08:51

Same problem for me
I've had the same problem. I prefer to get authorisation for clients online but can't do that for a partnership without the UTR. No response from Longbenton re request for partnership UTR which I sent back in July along with the CWF1s. I have followed the procedures that HMRC said they wanted done for new partnerships. I have assumed there is just a 3month backlog but on past experience the request has probably just vanished into the black hole that is HMRC's incoming letter post.

Thanks (0)
Share this content