Share this content

Rental Income From Surplus Commercial Accomodation

A question about how such income could be shown in a corporation tax return

Didn't find your answer?

If a company with a UK trade (“Main Trade”) rents out some of its surplus business accommodation, should this ever be shown in a corporation tax return as trading income from a second UK trade (“Rental Trade”)?

I ask because I would have assumed that there are two alternatives here:

  1. If the various conditions regarding surplus commercial accommodation are met, it could include this income as part of the trading profits of “Main Trade” (i.e. not as a separate trade), or
  2. If it doesn’t meet the conditions, it would show it as Income from UK Land & Buildings.

Just wanted to check my understanding as the previous accountants show this income as income from a separate trade.

Thanks in advance if anyone could shed some light on this for me.

Replies (1)

Please login or register to join the discussion.

By michaelblake
11th Aug 2017 21:21

Your understanding is correct. The letting of surplus business accommodation could never be a trade and the previous accountant has described it incorrectly.

The HMRC guidance at PIM4300 confirms your approach

Thanks (1)
Share this content