Accounting WEB
Editorial team
Share this content

routes to take - without a degree

routes to take - without a degree

Dear Sir/madam,

I am currently in my second year at Barnsley college, studying a levels in accounts, business studies and general studies and AS levels in Maths and Human biology. I have recently decided that I do not wish to continue my education at university and I do not know what opportunities I have (or don't have) when searching for a job.
I know I need my accounting exams, so where can I take them etc. without going to university?
I would be interested to know what might lie ahead for me, any information or advice you could give me would be very helpful.

You can contact me at:
45 Carr View Road,
S61 2BJ

or email me at:
[email protected]

alternatively, my telephone number is (01709) 305325.

Thankyou for your time.
Kate Lindsay
Kate Lindsay


Please login or register to join the discussion.

02nd Oct 2000 12:06

Correspondence or Evening Classes
Further to Niel's answer I became ACCA qualified without going to university. I studied for 3 years entirely via a correspondence course through BPP. Each 6 months I attended exams at Sheffield Uni. Correspondence courses offer tremendous flexibilty but the downside is you have to be very self motivated. Many colleges offer evening classes for both ACCA and CIMA.
Some companies may also offer day release but this is becoming increasingly rare.
However most reputable employers should help with the cost of courses and exam fees, this may not be for the full amounts but they should make good contributions.
On a final note studying to become fully qualified is hard and it takes a lot of dedication but long term the rewards are certainly worth it.
Should you require an further help or advice please feel free to E-mail me.

Thanks (0)
By neileg
29th Sep 2000 09:24

Lots of choice!
All of the major accounting bodies provide non-graduate routes into qualification, ie
CIMA Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (industry)
CIPFA Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants (local government/public service)
ACCA Chartered Association of Certified Accountants (commercial and professional)
ICAEW Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (professional and audit)
ICAS Institute of Chartered Accountants in Scotland (professional and audit)

These all require a period of on the job training in the relevant commercial sector, coupled with exams. Usually an initial short period of college training is required, one academic year. Graduates skip this and usually have a shorter training period. Get details from the respective web sites. Most bodies have local education and training reps you could speak to.

Alternatively the Association of Accounting Technicians offers a more vocational based qualification which is a highly respected "second tier" qualification. This is almost entirely non-graduate. Again web site or telephone book.

I am a member of the ICAEW but now work in local government. Most of our trainees (CIMA or CIPFA) are non-graduates.

Good luck!

Thanks (0)
Share this content